Old August 11th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Routemaster lament

Chris wrote:

And those TFL machines don't accept notes

Nor do bus drivers!

Old August 12th 04, 05:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Don't they? Never had a problem paying with a £5 or £10

Old August 12th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris wrote:
Don't they? Never had a problem paying with a £5 or £10

Are you serious? Where?

I've never known a bus driver to be happy with a note, the time I've
spent in the past popping into newsagents to get coinage

Old August 12th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 at 00:10:43, Stuart
wrote:

In Central London there is no faffing to find tickets.... you don't
need money or tickets, just walk straight on and you might get ticket
checked. I agree a conductor would be good, but for fare evasion
purposes.

Most drivers don't let you get on without a ticket of some description -
okay, you can on articulated buses, but they are the only ones.

Conductors are good for those who are tottery, for those with luggage,
even for those with pushchairs - they used to HELP people, which drivers
can't, as they are locked away in their little box. Plus they would
come and tell you, on an unfamiliar route, when it was your stop -
drivers will sometimes announce it over the PA, but more often than not
they forget.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 12th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Acrosticus ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Would that be one of those Mercedes machines by any chance? Didn't the
Nazis plant delayed action incendiary bombs in the things 60 years
before they were built and then went on to bomb Routemasters 10 years
after Hitler committed suicide, failed to destroy a single one, so
abruptly ended World War Two in 1955 but caused delayed action bus
mayhem earlier this year? Or has someone earlier in this thread been
misleading me?

It's all a conspiracy, y'know. They're Out To Get You.

Old August 12th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
Don't they? Never had a problem paying with a £5 or £10

Are you serious? Where?

At Hammersmith bus station at around 3.30am on the N10.

At Trafalgar square waiting for the N52 (before the machines came in)

They're the only times I have tried and both were a success

Old August 12th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article , dated
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:12:29, seen in news:uk.transport.london, Acrosticus
posted :
From: Stuart
Date: 11/08/2004 09:58 GMT Daylight Time

No such thing.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
Old August 13th 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:35:55 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 at 14:01:12, Neil Williams
wrote:

Also, a good two-doored double-decker loads and unloads far quicker
than the single-entrance Routemaster.

NO WAY! And yes, I did mean to shout. People get on a Routemaster, sit
down, and then look for their Oyster or their fare. On a 2-door bus,
first of all the driver very often doesn't open the entrance door until
people have finished getting off, and then you have to wait while
everybody faffs around finding their pass or their Oyster, or getting
out a ticket, or even buying one, outside the central zone. Takes far,
far longer than on a RM.

Certainly between Finsbury Park and Angel where the two routes run
along the same roads it is common for a 19 (Routemaster) to catch up
and overtake a 4 (two-door double-decker) but very rare for a 4 to
overtake a 19

Martin
Old August 13th 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

How exactly do you use a pre-pay oyster on those bendy buses? From what I've
seen, you can't get in at the driver end. What do people do?

--
Ian Tindale
Old August 13th 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Prepay on bendy - was Routemaster lament

Ian Tindale wrote in :

How exactly do you use a pre-pay oyster on those bendy buses? From
what I've seen, you can't get in at the driver end. What do people do?

There are signs saying the pre-pay users (and Saver ticket holders) get on
at the front. Whats the difficulty with this?

Recent bendy buses (25 IIRC) have oyster readers near the other doors but
they werent operational.

Andrew