Old September 8th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Routemaster lament

Colin Rosenstiel ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Are you sure the bendies are 16 tonnes? I thought they were 13
tonnes-odd. Still a tub of lard.

According to Merc's own website, the normal Citaro is 11t - they don't own
up to a weight for the bendy Citaro G.

http://www2.mercedes-
benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/
buses/home/products/new_buses/citaro/citaro_12m/technical_data.html

or

http://snipurl.com/8xwj

http://www2.mercedes-
benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/
buses/home/products/new_buses/citaro/citaro_g_18m/technical_data.0001.html

or

http://snipurl.com/8xwk

The extra 6m (50% of the length) is not going to be 2t, especially as it
includes the bendy mechanism and an extra axle.

Page 6 of this :-
http://www.uestra.de/eng/download/po...e_stadtbus.pdf

suggests 17,090kg for the diesel bendy and 18,850 for fuel cell. Ouch. You
wouldn't want that on your toe.
Old September 8th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Adrian) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Are you sure the bendies are 16 tonnes? I thought they were 13
tonnes-odd. Still a tub of lard.

According to Merc's own website, the normal Citaro is 11t - they don't
own up to a weight for the bendy Citaro G.

http://www2.mercedes-
benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_m
pc/buses/home/products/new_buses/citaro/citaro_12m/technical_data.html

or

http://snipurl.com/8xwj

http://www2.mercedes-
benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_m
pc/buses/home/products/new_buses/citaro/citaro_g_18m/technical_data.0001
.html

or

http://snipurl.com/8xwk

The extra 6m (50% of the length) is not going to be 2t, especially as
it includes the bendy mechanism and an extra axle.

Page 6 of this :-
http://www.uestra.de/eng/download/po...e_stadtbus.pdf

suggests 17,090kg for the diesel bendy and 18,850 for fuel cell. Ouch.
You wouldn't want that on your toe.

OK. I was sort of hoping someone would have managed what I failed to note
last week by looking at the side of one. :-(

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 9th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

I was just going by the GVW on the side of them. I believe its something

like
16600kg but its been a while since I've looked.

GVW and Unladen Weight are not the same thing.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old September 9th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From: (Boltar)
Date: 08/09/2004 16:52 GMT

And a modern double decker weights 11 or 12 tons. You have to wonder where
that extra 3 or 4 tons of flab was needed. As for the 16 ton bendy busses...
Arn't vehicles supposed to become more efficient as the years go by? How
can adding tons and tons of extra weight to these vehicles accomplish that?

B2003

Hit the nail on the head mate! Colin Curtis, one of the original RM design
team, has gone on the record more than once to say that "Bill" Durrant (his
boss) and the rest of the team were overjoyed back in 1954 to find they could
build a predominantly aluminium chassisless bus seating 64 passengers that only
weighed the same as an RT with 56 seats. Less weight = less fuel consumption,
and when you think about it by the end of its life you've probably paid more
for the fuel to make it move than you paid for the bus itself (even allowing
for fancy financial footwork like Net Present Value calculations) so that's a
saving worth having.

Durrant, Curtis et al got it right. Hendy has got it sadly wrong I'm afraid
(but then earlier in his career he was Personal Assistant to Ralph Bennett
after all, the only chairman of the London Transport Executive ever to get the
sack for incompetence as far as I know - and from a Tory GLC too if I remember
correctly! So maybe that might explain a few things. A few of Bennett's
slipshod way of doing things might have rubbed off on Hendy and are coming out
now to our ultimate disadvantage).
Old September 10th 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Terry Harper" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

I was just going by the GVW on the side of them. I believe its something

like
16600kg but its been a while since I've looked.

GVW and Unladen Weight are not the same thing.

Sorry , I meant unladen weight. Its the weight measurement printed on all
london buses down near the rear left wheel.

B2003