Old August 12th 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster anomaly

Chris wrote:

In other words the Oyster is still charged for a journey when it is
rejected as not valid! Something wrong here.

RTFM
1. The Oystercard recorded you entering the tube system.

2. You didn't exit the tube system by the card openning a gate for you or
by being let out by a memeber of staff and having your card correct by sed
member of staff.

3. So the Oystercard has no record of the station you left at

4. Hence it charges the maximum fare possible

Actually, does it do this? Recently I made a journey from Hammersmith to
Norbiton, touching in with my PrePay at Hammersmith Tube, changing from
tube to rail at Richmond, forgetting to touch the transfer out because I
could see the connecting train was just arriving and belted over the
bridge. (Also meaning I didn't get a rail ticket, but I digress).
Obviously at Norbiton there are no Oyster touch pads.

From memory the Oyster card went down by about a pound - which I
thought strange as I was expecting it to drop by the maximum charge. But
when I next recharged it there was a message on the screen saying that
there was an unended journey, and would I visit a ticket office to
resolve the issue? (Which I must admit I have yet to do ...)

Old August 13th 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

LUL are being a little kind right now and unstarted or uncompleted journeys
are being charged at the single zone fare (£1.60 or £1.00).

But be warned, when 'maximum fare' comes in you will be charged either
£3.60/£5.50 (zone 1-6/zone A-D).

Perhaps it will focus the mind when it comes to touching the card on the
readers :-)))))

"chris harrison" wrote in message
.. .
Chris wrote:

[...]

From memory the Oyster card went down by about a pound - which I

Old August 13th 04, 06:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, SJCWHUK wrote:

But be warned, when 'maximum fare' comes in you will be charged either
£3.60/£5.50 (zone 1-6/zone A-D).

How will they know if you had an uncompleted journey to zones A-D?
--
Michael Hoffman
Old August 13th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

SJCWHUK ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

But be warned, when 'maximum fare' comes in you will be charged
either £3.60/£5.50 (zone 1-6/zone A-D).

How will they know if you had an uncompleted journey to zones A-D?

Because if your uncompleted journey started at Amersham but they don't
know where you exited it will be £5.50.

But if the uncompleted journey *finished* in zones A-D...?
Old August 13th 04, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Because if your uncompleted journey started at Amersham but they don't know
where you exited it will be £5.50.

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in
message news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0408130746590.3440@ZVAVZBB...

Old August 13th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Adrian wrote:

SJCWHUK ) [wrote]:

[Michael Hoffman wrote:]
How will they know if you had an uncompleted journey to zones A-D?

Because if your uncompleted journey started at Amersham but they don't
know where you exited it will be £5.50.

But if the uncompleted journey *finished* in zones A-D...?

Yes, that's why I said *to* zones A-D... Do they turn off the gates in
late evening hours as they do in more inward Met stations (e.g. Pinner)?
If so, you get a free trip from zone 6 to Amersham or wherever.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old August 14th 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In theory the gates should not be switched off (powered down). If it is
necessary to leave the gates unmanned, the gates can be opened but the
readers on the gates still function.

The implications of this if someone is a little less honest than the rest of
us is plain to see! :-)

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in
message news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0408132056050.2344@ZVAVZBB...

Old August 15th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael Hoffman ) gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Because if your uncompleted journey started at Amersham but they don't
know where you exited it will be £5.50.

But if the uncompleted journey *finished* in zones A-D...?

Yes, that's why I said *to* zones A-D... Do they turn off the gates in
late evening hours as they do in more inward Met stations (e.g. Pinner)?

What gates?

If so, you get a free trip from zone 6 to Amersham or wherever.

Cool.