Old September 2nd 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU Driver Duties

Tom Anderson wrote:

Similarly, the cross-platform interchanges between the Victoria
Line and the Bank branch of the Northern Line would be between an
ana-bound and a kata-bound train.

I wasn't aware that such things existed - is that at Euston?

Sorry, I meant to say "at Euston". When the Victoria Line was built,
they arranged cross-platform interchange at Euston between
roughly-northbound Victoria and roughly-northbound Northern (Bank
branch). But the "northbound" trains at that point are actually running
east-west in opposite directions. Similarly for southbound.

An interesting intellectual exercise, but please don't get a job
in LU!

Oh, i don't think they need my skills in the
confusing-the-hell-out-of-people department.

:-)

--
Richard J.

Old September 2nd 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
I must say I've always wondered why the Circle Line isn't labelled as
"Circle Line Clockwise" and "Circle Line Anticlockwise"

I wonder if it's because most of it is shared either with the H & C+Met or
with the District and it's felt less cumbersome to allow the
eastbound/westbound of the "proper" lines to define the direction rather
than have two sets of direction descriptors for in some cases the same
journey options?
--
gordon

Old September 2nd 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

While we're on the subject, does LU still think that the Metropolitan Line
runs north-south instead of east-west?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 3rd 04, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Oh, and the Circle line directions should be Clockwise and
Anti-Clockwise.
This is not an opinion - this is a fact, proven by science.

What is this "fact" proven by science? Personally, I find it much
quicker to relate Inner Rail and Outer Rail to a direction than
Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise, which I find unnecessarily indirect. (I
have to remember first which way analogue clocks move, which to a
mathematician is the "wrong" or negative direction. Why people still
want to tell the time by looking at the angles of two sticks is a
mystery to me.)

I find Inner Rail and Outer Rail easiest too. As you head along the
District, the Inner Rail goes "inner" the City and the Outer Rail goes
"outer" it. :-D This just goes to prove that the world revolves around
the District Line.

Perhaps (and this is not an entirely serious suggestion) we just
need to pick a pair of names which don't have any specific
geographical connotation and use those consistently along the
whole line: Up and Down come close, are nicely traditional, but
can't really be applied inside London; i suggest Ana and Kata,
these being the traditional extra directions in maths.

I think your traditions are rather younger than mine.

Alternatively you could translate the Greek words into English:
Ana=Up, Kata=Down. Then an Up District train would be headed for
Mansion House, Tower Hill, Whitechapel, Plaistow, Barking, or
Upminster. It makes sense. You know it does. The easiest place to get
an "Up" direction is from the stretch between Wimbledon and East
Putney.
Old September 3rd 04, 02:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" typed

While we're on the subject, does LU still think that the Metropolitan Line
runs north-south instead of east-west?

Yes, if you take my most recent trip to Preston Road as an example.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old September 3rd 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Why would out-of-towners want to go to Cockfosters?

Middlesex polytechnic .. sorry I mean university.

That's in Oakwood!

Part of it is - at the Cathill roundabout. Another part (I think its
the languages dept but I'm probably wrong) is in the old manor house
in Trent Park.

B2003
Old September 3rd 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , JWBA68
writes
This is a "route learning guide" for errant District Lne drivers when
approaching Hanger Lane Junction.

So has a District Line train gone to South Harrow or Rayners Lane in
recent times?

Frequently - I personally know two drivers who have undertaken this
mission recently (in the past three months)
Old September 3rd 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes

So has a District Line train gone to South Harrow
or Rayners Lane in recent times?

There was the time that a Piccadilly Line driver leaving Uxbridge accepted
the wrong signal at Rayners and ended up in Harrow-On-The-Hill, whereupon
the driver of the adjacent Metropolitan Line train got out, walked across
the platform and handed him a tube map.

A story is told that a Picc. driver, on being given the wrong stick and
accepting it arrived at West Harrow and asked for a Pilotman.

The Pilotman duly arrived and handed the Picc driver a Tube Map and
walked off. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but it's a
good story!
Old September 3rd 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"James" wrote in message
om...
Ana=Up, Kata=Down. Then an Up District train would be headed for
Mansion House, Tower Hill, Whitechapel, Plaistow, Barking, or
Upminster. It makes sense.

Might not make sense to an EastEnder. They always seem to go "up west"
rather than "up east".
--
gordon

Old September 4th 04, 04:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sharon & Gordon Thomson" wrote in message ...
"James" wrote in message
om...
Ana=Up, Kata=Down. Then an Up District train would be headed for
Mansion House, Tower Hill, Whitechapel, Plaistow, Barking, or
Upminster. It makes sense.

Might not make sense to an EastEnder. They always seem to go "up west"
rather than "up east".

Sod the East End. They've only got one branch anyway, two if you count
the East London Section.