Old August 29th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A trip on free route 25

14:00 Sunday afternoon

Boarded a route 25 bus at the first stop, behind Oxford Street. At least 15
minutes had elapsed since the last bus, which I had just missed. Timetable
says 8-10 minutes on Sunday, IIRC.

Full and standing by TCR. Absolutely rammed by Holborn. Driver has to
repeatedly instruct passengers to stand away from the front platform and to
move down - though there doesn't appear to be anywhere to move to.

American tourists board at St Pauls, asking for the Tower, having been given
an old leaflet by TfL at Euston showing the weekend diversion - now a thing
of the past. Driver does a good job of helping them out with the nearest
alternative stop.

Tempers flare after Aldgate, with more trying to board from the markets etc,
but no space. Driver gets irate at the 'front platform hoggers' and refuses
to move the bus until they shift. Painfully slow progress down Whitechapel
and Mile End Roads with 'short hop' passengers trying to squeeze on and off.
Many people, including the elderly, have now been standing for the best part
of an hour.

At Stratford bus station, we pull out directly behind an 86 - relief! But
no - at the first stop there is a huge crowd, of whom 70% ignore the empty
86 and make for the crowded 25. I wonder why?

Recent 'customers' include three girls of approximately 12-15, dressed as
prostitutes, who cuss at full voice and deliberately engineer an altercation
with two lads of a similar age, whom the girls have identified as
'refugees'. The girls (not of British heritage, as it happens), hurl racist
abuse at the lads. One of the girls deliberately stands on the front
platform to antagonise the driver, who refuses to move until she does.

At Forest Gate, the girls vs boys argument turns into a full blown fight,
with other passengers ducking for cover amidst the fists. In a surreal
moment, some passengers and the driver notice a police car twenty yards
ahead of us. The driver hoots to get the attention of the cops. They reverse
ten yards and everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Then, having thought
better of it, they re-engage first and drive away! Not a 'blue light' call.
Disgraceful. Fight still ongoing on the bus.

A couple of stops later, the fighting sub-humans get off. Two elderly ladies
get on and want to pay cash. Driver points them towards machine, but makes
off whilst they fiddle with their change.

There are easier ways to get from the West End to Ilford, and in future I
shall take them. However, perhaps in the interim somebody could remind me
why route 25 was considered suitably for reduced frequency, reduced capacity
and 'honesty box' revenue policies.

Chris
ps - good luck to route 73 regulars for next week.

Old August 29th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Read" wrote in message
There are easier ways to get from the West End to Ilford, and in future I
shall take them. However, perhaps in the interim somebody could remind me

Busses are crap, always were, always will be. The fight you mention is a
sympton of a much larger problem in this country though, low life scum.

Old August 29th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Weaver
writes

Busses are crap, always were, always will be.

Even if spelt correctly? I find them a damn sight better (ie quicker and
cheaper) than using a car in this part of London.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have a very comfortable car - the bus (or
bicycle) is almost always better for local journeys.

--
Paul Terry
Old August 29th 04, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Paul Weaver
writes

Busses are crap, always were, always will be.

Even if spelt correctly? I find them a damn sight better (ie quicker and
cheaper) than using a car in this part of London.

Definatly, quicker, cheaper, easier. Not as comfortable, but definatly less
stressful.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have a very comfortable car - the bus (or
bicycle) is almost always better for local journeys.

I'd rate Walking and Biking well above the bus, train inbetween walking and
tube, tube slightly above the bus. Car doesnt factor in the decision for
London unless its off peak and you have guarenteed free parking at both
ends. I'd never own a car while living inside the M25.

Old August 29th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote:

Busses are crap, always were, always will be.

In general, I think the bus service in London is great. I have elderly
relatives in London, too infirm to drive, for whom the bus is a lifeline.

More specifically, when operated by First using 'deckers, route 25 was
perfectly acceptable - busy but IMX fairly reliable.

The bendi-bus conversions have effectively replaced seating capacity with
standing capacity. This is fine for the short distance Red Arrow routes, but
unacceptable for long distance routes like the 25 and 73. Also, I'm afraid
that a system of revenue collection which effectively relies on the honesty
of Londoners aint going to work - and I say that as a Londoner born and
bred.

The fight you mention is a
sympton of a much larger problem in this country though, low life scum.

Indeed.

Chris

Old September 3rd 04, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Read" wrote in message

(Nightmare journey truncated!)

Chris
ps - good luck to route 73 regulars for next week.

Hmmm, forget the 73, what about the 12 when it gets converted... going
through Peckham, Camberwell and Elephant at late night?

--
Please remove the spam-deflecting X's to reply directly to me - or simply
reply to the group!

Old September 3rd 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Nestor Badudoy wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote in message

(Nightmare journey truncated!)
ps - good luck to route 73 regulars for next week.

Hmmm, forget the 73, what about the 12 when it gets converted... going
through Peckham, Camberwell and Elephant at late night?

What are they converting it to - armoured personnel carrier?

tom

--
Crazy week so far, which at one point involved spewing down the inside of my jeans! -- D