London Banter

-   -   You couldn't make it up! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2131-you-couldnt-make-up.html)

Ian F. September 5th 04 02:12 PM

You couldn't make it up!

The scene: EXT. DAY. Willesden Junction station ticket office 12 noon-ish
today, window open, woman sitting behind window

Mrs. Ian: "Can I have a ticket to Boundary Zone 3 please?"
Ticket office woman: "No, sorry - I'm on my break."

:-))))

Ian

M J Forbes September 5th 04 08:43 PM

You couldn't make it up!

"Ian F." wrote in message
The scene: EXT. DAY. Willesden Junction station ticket office 12 noon-ish
today, window open, woman sitting behind window

Mrs. Ian: "Can I have a ticket to Boundary Zone 3 please?"
Ticket office woman: "No, sorry - I'm on my break."

Doesn't surprise me at all. Having lived in that area during the university
years, and having revisited recently, it seems that despite the superb
refurb/rebuild of what was once an awful station, Silverlink & NR can't be
bothered to endure the employment procedure to find "customer-facing" staff
that actually enjoy working with strangers.

I'm not at all surprised that this unfortunate incident happened - a copy of
the OP's message has been sent to SL's Customer Relations department; not
that I expect any reply.

Regards

Jonathan Stott September 5th 04 09:11 PM

You couldn't make it up!

M J Forbes wrote:

"Ian F." wrote in message

Mrs. Ian: "Can I have a ticket to Boundary Zone 3 please?"
Ticket office woman: "No, sorry - I'm on my break."

Doesn't surprise me at all. Having lived in that area during the university
years, and having revisited recently, it seems that despite the superb
refurb/rebuild of what was once an awful station, Silverlink & NR can't be
bothered to endure the employment procedure to find "customer-facing" staff
that actually enjoy working with strangers.

At least at my local station they have the politeness to shut the window
and put a notice up to tell you to use the machine.

--
Jonathan Stott

Piccadilly Pilot September 6th 04 08:07 AM

You couldn't make it up!

Jonathan Stott wrote:
M J Forbes wrote:

"Ian F." wrote in message

Mrs. Ian: "Can I have a ticket to Boundary Zone 3 please?"
Ticket office woman: "No, sorry - I'm on my break."

Doesn't surprise me at all. Having lived in that area during the
university years, and having revisited recently, it seems that
despite the superb refurb/rebuild of what was once an awful station,
Silverlink & NR can't be bothered to endure the employment procedure
to find "customer-facing" staff that actually enjoy working with
strangers.

At least at my local station they have the politeness to shut the
window
and put a notice up to tell you to use the machine.

Or even arrange a relief booking clerk (or insert this week's title) while
the person takes their break.

M. J. Powell September 6th 04 11:13 AM

You couldn't make it up!

In message , Piccadilly Pilot
writes
Jonathan Stott wrote:
M J Forbes wrote:

"Ian F." wrote in message

Mrs. Ian: "Can I have a ticket to Boundary Zone 3 please?"
Ticket office woman: "No, sorry - I'm on my break."

Doesn't surprise me at all. Having lived in that area during the
university years, and having revisited recently, it seems that
despite the superb refurb/rebuild of what was once an awful station,
Silverlink & NR can't be bothered to endure the employment procedure
to find "customer-facing" staff that actually enjoy working with
strangers.

At least at my local station they have the politeness to shut the
window
and put a notice up to tell you to use the machine.

Or even arrange a relief booking clerk (or insert this week's title) while
the person takes their break.

Er...If they are eating sandwiches and drinking tea, why can't they
serve and eat at the same time?
And be paid a 'work-through lunch hour' of course.

Mike

Piccadilly Pilot September 6th 04 01:15 PM

You couldn't make it up!

Jonathan Stott wrote:
M J Forbes wrote:

"Ian F." wrote in message

[...]

That would be a personal choice, the only time I've done was as a signalman
in a singlemanned box. But then the timetable was such that it was quite
feasible.

As a "customer" I wouldn't want to feel that I had interrupted someone's
meal break. Besides which, we all need a break during and eight hour shift.
So much depends on local variables.

It's possible of course that the staff in this particular booking office had
asked for arrangements to be made for them to have a proper break, even if
that simply meant closing the window for half an hour, which had been
declined and they were making a protest.

Ian F. September 6th 04 02:26 PM

You couldn't make it up!

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message

It's possible of course that the staff in this particular booking office

had
asked for arrangements to be made for them to have a proper break, even if
that simply meant closing the window for half an hour, which had been
declined and they were making a protest.

Sheer bloody-mindedness, if you ask me. It would have been just a tiny tad
more effort to have sold my other half a ticket rather than telling her
'no'. Then, you have a happy customer and the revenue from the sale. If I
treated my clients like that, I wouldn't have any!

Ian

Piccadilly Pilot September 6th 04 04:43 PM

You couldn't make it up!

Ian F. wrote:
"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message

It's possible of course that the staff in this particular booking
office had asked for arrangements to be made for them to have a
proper break, even if that simply meant closing the window for half
an hour, which had been declined and they were making a protest.

Sheer bloody-mindedness, if you ask me. It would have been just a
tiny tad more effort to have sold my other half a ticket rather than
telling her 'no'. Then, you have a happy customer and the revenue
from the sale. If I treated my clients like that, I wouldn't have any!

From a narrow self-interested point of view it may well appear that way.
Since neither of us know the reason why the booking clerk behaved in the
manner described neither of us are in a position to make judgements are we?

Ian F. September 6th 04 07:32 PM

You couldn't make it up!

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message

From a narrow self-interested point of view it may well appear that way.
Since neither of us know the reason why the booking clerk behaved in the
manner described neither of us are in a position to make judgements are

we?

Whatever. It's just that *I* know what *I'd* have done if I'd been her,
whatever time of day it was!

Ian

David H Wild September 6th 04 07:51 PM

You couldn't make it up!

In article ,
Piccadilly Pilot wrote:
From a narrow self-interested point of view it may well appear that way.
Since neither of us know the reason why the booking clerk behaved in the
manner described neither of us are in a position to make judgements are
we?

This is uk.railway. :-))
Sentence first - followed, possibly, by the trial.

--
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | / Acorn StrongArm Risc_PC