Old September 11th 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taxi complaint - how do I make one?

Mike Hughes wrote:
On the subject of tipping, why is it that most Australians *never*

give
a tip, even after the driver has gone out of his way to be helpful?

I've
taken someone from T4 to one of the hotels on the north side of the
airport. Lots of heavy luggage which nearly did my back in then they
waited for the 20p change from £15 for a £14.80 fare! I can control

my
anger but there are times when you feel like letting rip, believe me.

As others have pointed out, in Australia tipping just isn't done. Not
out of any spite or tight-fistedness, but because that's just how the
culture is. In the same way, we don't tip bar staff here, but
Americans do. As you'd picked these Australians up from Heathrow, I'd
suggest they were new arrivals, possibly never been to the UK before or
maybe never even left Australia before. As such, they're unaware of
the 'need' to tip.

Patrick