London Banter

-   -   Bicycle on the tube (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2172-bicycle-tube.html)

Tom Anderson September 13th 04 04:45 PM

Bicycle on the tube

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Simon wrote:

I want to take a bicycle from west London to Kings Cross on the

Have you considered riding it?

This is probably a very silly question, but i thought i'd make sure!

tom

--
Who would you help in a fight, Peter van der Linden or Bill Gates?

Dave Arquati September 13th 04 10:23 PM

Bicycle on the tube

Simon wrote:
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:45:58 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Simon wrote:

I want to take a bicycle from west London to Kings Cross on the

Have you considered riding it?

This is probably a very silly question, but i thought i'd make sure!

tom

Not silly at all. Yes I thought of it but not having ridden a
bicycle for 25 years I thought perhaps it would be a bad idea. I
have only done a few miles in the last week. I have decided not to
take the bike this trip which is tomorrow now. I will have luggage
with me. My next trip next month I will only have a small backpack
and will have got my cycling confidence back I hope :-)

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with yourself. It helps if you get
hold of one of TfL's excellent cycle maps (essentially an A-Z map with
cycle routes overlaid, colour coded according to whether they are
on-road, on-pavement, fully segregated etc. I did a trip between
Kensington & Canary Wharf having never ridden a bike in London before
(or even in anything bigger than a village for that matter!) and it was
a very pleasant experience - except after I'd got back, when the bike
got nicked.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Colin McKenzie September 14th 04 12:45 PM

Bicycle on the tube

Simon wrote:

I want to take a bicycle from west London to Kings Cross on the

Have you considered riding it?
This is probably a very silly question, but i thought i'd make sure!

Not silly at all. Yes I thought of it but not having ridden a
bicycle for 25 years I thought perhaps it would be a bad idea. I
have only done a few miles in the last week. I have decided not to
take the bike this trip which is tomorrow now. I will have luggage
with me. My next trip next month I will only have a small backpack
and will have got my cycling confidence back I hope :-)

If 'West London' means London Borough of Ealing, and you live there,
why not get a couple of hours of on-road cycle training for a nominal
£5 contribution?

Claimer: I am involved with this training. Email if you are eligible
and want more info.

Colin Mckenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

Annabel Smyth September 14th 04 03:41 PM

Bicycle on the tube

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 13 Sep 2004:

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with yourself. It helps if you get
hold of one of TfL's excellent cycle maps (essentially an A-Z map with
cycle routes overlaid, colour coded according to whether they are on-
road, on-pavement, fully segregated etc. I did a trip between Kensington
& Canary Wharf having never ridden a bike in London before (or even in
anything bigger than a village for that matter!) and it was a very
pleasant experience - except after I'd got back, when the bike got
nicked.

I won't go near a bike in London since someone I loved was killed by a
careless van while riding her bike. No way.... and I hate it that
Husband cycles each day.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Colin Rosenstiel September 15th 04 12:04 AM

Bicycle on the tube

In article ,
(Annabel Smyth) wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 13 Sep 2004:

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with yourself. It helps if you
get hold of one of TfL's excellent cycle maps (essentially an A-Z map
with cycle routes overlaid, colour coded according to whether they are
on-road, on-pavement, fully segregated etc. I did a trip between
Kensington & Canary Wharf having never ridden a bike in London before
(or even in anything bigger than a village for that matter!) and it was
a very pleasant experience - except after I'd got back, when the bike
got nicked.

I won't go near a bike in London since someone I loved was killed by a
careless van while riding her bike. No way.... and I hate it that
Husband cycles each day.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled and use back streets where possible. That's
what I do.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson September 17th 04 04:45 PM

Bicycle on the tube

wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Simon wrote:

I want to take a bicycle from west London to Kings Cross on the

Have you considered riding it?

This is probably a very silly question, but i thought i'd make sure!

Not silly at all. Yes I thought of it but not having ridden a bicycle
for 25 years I thought perhaps it would be a bad idea. I have only
done a few miles in the last week. I have decided not to take the
bike this trip which is tomorrow now. I will have luggage with me.
My next trip next month I will only have a small backpack and will
have got my cycling confidence back I hope :-)

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with yourself.

I'd agree strongly, especially since there is an excellent route for you -
the grand union canal towpath will get you all the way to Paddington, i
think, then you can use the Seven Stations cycle route to get to Euston.
The former is completely traffic-free; the latter is quite busy, but has
good cycle lanes.

Still, i understand entirely that it's not something you'd want to do
without having cycled in so long. Do have a go next time, though - cycling
shows you the city in a completely different light.

tom

--
Sorry. Went a bit Atari Teenage Riot there. -- Andrew

Clive R Robertson September 18th 04 10:27 AM

Bicycle on the tube

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:45:54 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

I'd agree strongly, especially since there is an excellent route for you -
the grand union canal towpath will get you all the way to Paddington, i
think, then you can use the Seven Stations cycle route to get to Euston.
The former is completely traffic-free; the latter is quite busy, but has
good cycle lanes.

Still, i understand entirely that it's not something you'd want to do
without having cycled in so long. Do have a go next time, though - cycling
shows you the city in a completely different light.

tom

I regularly cycle from Kings Cross to Hammersmith (admittedly only on
Saturdays), and the Seven Stations is one of the routes I use. It's
not too bad, once I get away from the Euston Road.

If anyone would like to be shown the route, I leave Kings Cross at
8:40 on my Brompton -- in good weather only!

Regards,

Clive

--
Clive R Robertson -- AS/400 Programmer.

Webmaster of http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ -- this describes
a beautiful National Trust property in West London.