London Banter

-   -   Moorgate - Closed to WAGN for 1 year (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2204-moorgate-closed-wagn-1-year.html)

Morton September 24th 04 11:55 PM

Moorgate - Closed to WAGN for 1 year

According to WAGN's website the escalators runnning between the Northern
Line and the Ticket Hall have to be replaced. Work will start from 27/09/04
and last for an entire year.

Are these the escalators running between Moorgate platforms 9 and 10 down to
the Northern Line? These were stopped for months only recently and everyone
had to use the spiral staircases down to the Northern Line.

If they're the main escalators running from platforms 9/10 to above, leading
to the exit then surely there's another way out?

1 ****ing year?!

M.

Morton September 25th 04 12:08 AM

"Morton" wrote in message
According to WAGN's website the escalators runnning between the Northern
Line and the Ticket Hall have to be replaced. Work will start from
27/09/04 and last for an entire year.

Additional: They will be closed between 07:30 and 09:30. During those times
services will terminate at Old Street. This just doesnt make sense. If the
escalators have to be repaired then it would make sense to close them out of
rush hour. Not that WAGN have a good history of common sense.

Michael Hoffman September 25th 04 12:18 AM

Moorgate - Closed to WAGN for 1 year

[Morton]
Additional: They will be closed between 07:30 and 09:30. During those times
services will terminate at Old Street. This just doesnt make sense. If the
escalators have to be repaired then it would make sense to close them out of
rush hour.

The escalators will be closed all day. It is only during peak times when
the the overcrowding of the station would be dangerous.

Not that WAGN have a good history of common sense.

Indeed.
--
Michael Hoffman

Colin September 25th 04 12:20 AM

"Morton" wrote in message
According to WAGN's website the escalators runnning between the Northern
Line and the Ticket Hall have to be replaced. Work will start from
27/09/04 and last for an entire year.

Are these the escalators running between Moorgate platforms 9 and 10 down
to the Northern Line? These were stopped for months only recently and
everyone had to use the spiral staircases down to the Northern Line.

If they're the main escalators running from platforms 9/10 to above,
leading to the exit then surely there's another way out?

1 ****ing year?!

M.

If you download the PDF from their webpage it explains everything.

It is the Northern Line escalators that have worn out. However it sounds
like they are keeping the Northern Line open, and stopping WAGN arrivals to
reduce the overcrowding.

Oh well, at least you will have a nice walk down from Old Street station
every morning (or fight for a bus, or squeeze onto the Northern Line).

Morton September 25th 04 12:44 AM

"Colin" wrote in message

"Morton" wrote in message
According to WAGN's website the escalators runnning between the Northern
Line and the Ticket Hall have to be replaced. Work will start from
27/09/04 and last for an entire year.

Oh well, at least you will have a nice walk down from Old Street station
every morning (or fight for a bus, or squeeze onto the Northern Line).

I work near Tower Hill. To destress before work I would often walk (20 mins)
between Moorgate and work. Buying food in M&S or shopping in Gap/M&S/Next
around Moorgate was something I quite liked. Passing by Swiss Re was always
uplifting. Now I'll just get the Northern line from Old Street to Bank. The
word **** springs to mind.

Jonn Elledge September 25th 04 09:53 AM

"Morton" wrote in message
"Colin" wrote in message

"Morton" wrote in message
According to WAGN's website the escalators runnning between the

Northern
Line and the Ticket Hall have to be replaced. Work will start from
27/09/04 and last for an entire year.

Oh well, at least you will have a nice walk down from Old Street station
every morning (or fight for a bus, or squeeze onto the Northern Line).

I work near Tower Hill. To destress before work I would often walk (20

mins)
between Moorgate and work. Buying food in M&S or shopping in Gap/M&S/Next
around Moorgate was something I quite liked. Passing by Swiss Re was

always
uplifting. Now I'll just get the Northern line from Old Street to Bank.

The
word **** springs to mind.

It's only a five minute walk from Old Street to Moorgate, and it's quite
pleasant.

Jonn

Greg Hennessy September 25th 04 03:49 PM

Moorgate - Closed to WAGN for 1 year

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:53:15 +0000 (UTC), "Jonn Elledge"
wrote:

It's only a five minute walk from Old Street to Moorgate, and it's quite
pleasant.

Not when its ****ing rain and the wind is whipping round the corners of
Finsbury Circus.

--
Felicitations, malefactors! I am endeavoring to misappropriate
the formulary for the preparation of affordable comestibles.

John Rowland September 25th 04 05:05 PM

?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Greg Hennessy September 25th 04 05:43 PM

Moorgate - Closed to WAGN for 1 year

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:05:32 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

the corners of Finsbury Circus.

?

Try walking from moorgate to old street on a windy day. The 'canyon' effect
is rather severe.

Solar Penguin September 26th 04 04:41 PM

wrote:
[Greg Hennessy wrote:]
the corners of Finsbury Circus.

?

Try walking from moorgate to old street on a windy day. The 'canyon'
effect is rather severe.

I think he's questioning how you walk from Moorgate to Old Street via
Finsbury Circus.

Either:
a) You were walking to Liverpool St. not Old St.
b) You were going via Finsbury Square, not Circus
or
c) You were going the scenic route!