London Banter

-   -   Holborn Viaduct (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2207-holborn-viaduct.html)

Marratxi September 26th 04 08:25 PM

Holborn Viaduct

Is there anything left there worth seeing ?
Regardz,
Baz

John Rowland September 26th 04 09:25 PM

Holborn Viaduct

"Marratxi" wrote in message

Is there anything left there worth seeing ?

The northern entrance to City Thameslink was formerly the entrance to
Holburn Viaduct. It's not very old, probably 1960s.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Colin September 26th 04 09:27 PM

Holborn Viaduct

"Marratxi" wrote in message
Is there anything left there worth seeing ?
Regardz,
Baz

Are you talking about the old station, or the Viaduct itself?

The viaduct is still very much there, and exactly what it says it is -
effectively a Victorian road bridge over the course of the River Fleet.
Nowadays it is surrounded by office buildings. It is painted in Corporation
colours and is quite prominent, but not really a tourist attraction.

The old station has been replaced by said office blocks, along with its
approach lines, although there is an entrance to the Northern end of the
City Thameslink under ground platforms at the eastern end of the Viaduct,
which is on the site of the old station.

See http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co....rnViaduct.html

September 26th 04 09:42 PM

Holborn Viaduct

"Colin" wrote in message
"Marratxi" wrote in message
Is there anything left there worth seeing ?
Regardz,
Baz

Are you talking about the old station, or the Viaduct itself?

The viaduct is still very much there, and exactly what it says it is -
effectively a Victorian road bridge over the course of the River Fleet.
Nowadays it is surrounded by office buildings. It is painted in
Corporation colours and is quite prominent, but not really a tourist
attraction.

The old station has been replaced by said office blocks, along with its
approach lines, although there is an entrance to the Northern end of the
City Thameslink under ground platforms at the eastern end of the Viaduct,
which is on the site of the old station.

See http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co....rnViaduct.html

An interesting thing to see underneath the viaduct is the space underneath
it. There's a wine seller there - have a look inside - it stretches for
quite a way.

Jack Taylor September 26th 04 10:49 PM

Holborn Viaduct

wrote in message

An interesting thing to see underneath the viaduct is the space underneath
it. There's a wine seller there - have a look inside - it stretches for
quite a way.

Does he sell much? ;-)

Roland Perry September 27th 04 11:00 AM

Holborn Viaduct

In message , at 23:49:56
on Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Jack Taylor remarked:
An interesting thing to see underneath the viaduct is the space underneath
it. There's a wine seller there - have a look inside - it stretches for
quite a way.

Does he sell much? ;-)

What, from his cellar?

Jim Brown September 27th 04 01:05 PM

Holborn Viaduct

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message k...
wrote in message

An interesting thing to see underneath the viaduct is the space underneath
it. There's a wine seller there - have a look inside - it stretches for
quite a way.

Does he sell much? ;-)

Well its an oddbins branch so yes I guess they do!:-)

David Bradley September 27th 04 01:21 PM

Holborn Viaduct

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:27:43 +0100, "Colin"
wrote:

"Marratxi" wrote in message
Is there anything left there worth seeing ?
Regardz,
Baz

Are you talking about the old station, or the Viaduct itself?

The viaduct is still very much there, and exactly what it says it is -
effectively a Victorian road bridge over the course of the River Fleet.
Nowadays it is surrounded by office buildings. It is painted in Corporation
colours and is quite prominent, but not really a tourist attraction.

The old station has been replaced by said office blocks, along with its
approach lines, although there is an entrance to the Northern end of the
City Thameslink under ground platforms at the eastern end of the Viaduct,
which is on the site of the old station.

See http://www.pendar.pwp.blueyonder.co....rnViaduct.html

A most interesting site, and onward links. Many thanks for the URL.

David Bradley

Marratxi September 27th 04 09:37 PM

Holborn Viaduct

"David Bradley" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:27:43 +0100, "Colin"
wrote:

"Marratxi" wrote in

message
[...]

Thanks, guys. It was seeing the mentioned exit from City Thameslink and the
mentioned website which caused me to ask the question. I think I'll dust off
the old Freedom Card and go have a look myself. Its hard to believe that
there were three stations in what seems quite a short trip from Blackfriars
to Farringdon, can anybody point me to a map showing that part of the rail
system ?
Cheerz,
Baz

Roland Perry September 28th 04 06:50 AM

Holborn Viaduct

In message , at 22:37:25 on Mon, 27
Sep 2004, Marratxi
remarked:
Its hard to believe that
there were three stations in what seems quite a short trip from Blackfriars
to Farringdon, can anybody point me to a map showing that part of the rail
system ?

err, Surely there was just Ludgate Circus on the tunnel route, and
Ludgate Circus and Holborn Viaduct if you were terminating.