London Banter

-   -   Crystal Palace solution (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2240-crystal-palace-solution.html)

John Rowland October 4th 04 04:32 PM

Crystal Palace solution

Hi all,

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between Crystal
Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested in the German
solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the safety bods just to get
their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Solar Penguin October 4th 04 06:09 PM

Crystal Palace solution

--- "John Rowland" wrote:

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between
Crystal Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested
in the German solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the safety
bods just to get their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

LOL!!! I can just imagine one of those causing traffic jams up Anerley
Hill!
The local NIMBYs will have field day!

Richard J. October 4th 04 08:53 PM

Crystal Palace solution

DAVID HYDE-HARRISON wrote:
have a look at www.func-junc.co.uk. This is the solution to
transport in London

Yes, we know your views. Please stop posting your top-posted adverts.
--
Richard J.

Nick Cooper October 5th 04 06:56 AM

Crystal Palace solution

You should probably worry more about your ****e web-design.....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Solar Penguin October 5th 04 09:06 AM

Crystal Palace solution

--- "DAVID HYDE-HARRISON" wrote:

have a look at www.func-junc.co.uk. This is the solution to transport in
London

Well, I had a look at it, but didn't see anything about the problem of
getting trams up steep hills, which is what this thread was about.

Clive D. W. Feather October 5th 04 11:27 AM

Crystal Palace solution

In article , Nick Cooper
writes
have a look at www.func-junc.co.uk. This is the solution to transport in
London

You should probably worry more about your ****e web-design.....

He should also stop spamming posters to this group.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Boltar October 5th 04 03:19 PM

Crystal Palace solution

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message ...
--- "DAVID HYDE-HARRISON" wrote:

have a look at www.func-junc.co.uk. This is the solution to transport in
London

Well, I had a look at it, but didn't see anything about the problem of
getting trams up steep hills, which is what this thread was about.

Looks to me just like a load of standard issue pro car, anti railblurb
with a side serving of some cobblers called "roadionics" which is either
some sort of new gear for roadies or something to automatically guide
vehicles. No doubt the author thinks he's right on the cutting edge of
transport policy as opposed to actually being about 30 years behind the times.
Seems to me the only point at which the pro car lobby (and I speak as a car
owner myself) will ever admit that more and more roads and cars might not
be quite such a great idea is when we reach total gridlock. And even then
I'm not sure...

B2003

Tom Anderson October 5th 04 04:31 PM

Crystal Palace solution

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John Rowland wrote:

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between
Crystal Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested in
the German solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the safety
bods just to get their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

That's genius.

Gets me thinking about other ways you could move trams, though. Could you
fit one on a (specially-built) flatbed in a tube tunnel? How about a
subsurface tunnel?

tom

--
The literature is filled with bizarre occurrances for which we have no explanation

Nathan Whitington October 5th 04 06:03 PM

Crystal Palace solution

wrote:

have a look at
www.func-junc.co.uk. This is the solution to transport in
London

You should probably worry more about your ****e web-design.....
--
Nick Cooper

I think his web design is nice and simple

Piccadilly Pilot October 5th 04 06:52 PM

Crystal Palace solution

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John Rowland wrote:

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between
Crystal Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be
interested in the German solution... I think TfL should suggest this
to the safety
bods just to get their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

That's genius.

Gets me thinking about other ways you could move trams, though. Could
you fit one on a (specially-built) flatbed in a tube tunnel? How
about a subsurface tunnel?

Been done, Kingsway Tram Subway

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ay/index.shtml

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthi...s4/subway.html

Solar Penguin October 5th 04 07:41 PM

Crystal Palace solution

--- "Nathan Whitington" said about www.func-junc.co.uk

I think his web design is nice and simple

It says "Untitled Document" in the title bar! That's poor web design IMHO.
The TITLE tag isn't exactly the hardest piece of HTML to learn...

Chippy October 5th 04 07:45 PM

Crystal Palace solution

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between Crystal
Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested in the German
solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the safety bods just to get
their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

There used to be several inclines in Cincinnati, some of which carried trams.

Arthur Figgis October 5th 04 08:11 PM

Crystal Palace solution

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:32:23 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between Crystal
Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested in the German
solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the safety bods just to get
their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

It is an incredible line, that one, and I'm surprised it isn't better
known. A rural DMU-worked branch wanders off the main line, another
quite pretty branch wanders off that one, then among the trees just
before the end is the connection to the DB-operated funicular - and it
is huge, not a Scarborough-seafront job. At the top are second-hand
S-bahn type trains on an isolated electric line wandering through the
countryside.

The only snag is that it is in the middle of nowhere, though there is
a Youth Hostel at the end of the branch.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

John Rowland October 5th 04 10:28 PM

Crystal Palace solution

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

have a look at www.func-junc.co.uk.

He should also stop spamming posters to this group.

So I'm not the only one he's been emailing?
pouts and feels less special

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

David E. Belcher October 6th 04 01:21 PM

Crystal Palace solution

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between Crystal
Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested in the German
solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the safety bods just to get
their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

How about something along the lines of the Falkirk Wheel narrowboat
lift? That'd *really* raise a few eyebrows! ;-)

David E. Belcher

John Rowland October 6th 04 03:00 PM

Crystal Palace solution

"David E. Belcher" wrote in message
om...
"John Rowland" wrote in message

Hi all,

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical
gap between Crystal Palace station and Crystal Palace
Parade, might be interested in the German solution...

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

How about something along the lines of the Falkirk Wheel
narrowboat lift? That'd *really* raise a few eyebrows! ;-)

Or would it raise one eyebrow, while lowering the other?

Anyway, the Falkirk Wheel isn't real, it's just an elaborate hoax to trick
unwitting websurfers into thinking there's something worth visiting in
Falkirk. Haven't you noticed that every picture of it looks like it was
drawn by a CAD package?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Matt Ashby October 6th 04 11:23 PM

Crystal Palace solution

have a look at www.func-junc.co.uk. This is the solution to transport in
London

Well, I had a look at it, but didn't see anything about the problem of
getting trams up steep hills, which is what this thread was about.

Looks to me just like a load of standard issue pro car, anti railblurb
with a side serving of some cobblers called "roadionics" which is either
some sort of new gear for roadies or something to automatically guide
vehicles. No doubt the author thinks he's right on the cutting edge of
transport policy as opposed to actually being about 30 years behind the times.

Err, is this guy actually suggesting that we dig up every road junction in
London in an attempt to separate pedestrians, cycles and motor vehicles?
Apart from, well apart from lots of things, but doesn't he know that cyclists
are road users? Or that pedestrians don't like underpasses? Or that you will
have to cycle very slowly because of all the up and downs at junctions?
Or that it would bankrupt every local authority in the country? Or that
it would be impossible to maintain? Or that it would be horribly unpopular?
Or that he's just stark, raving, bonkers?

And, speaking as someone who used to do web design for a living,
his is, officially, ****e.

Matt Ashby
www.mattashby.com

Nick Cooper October 7th 04 07:47 AM

Crystal Palace solution

wrote:

have a look at
www.func-junc.co.uk. This is the solution to transport in
London

You should probably worry more about your ****e web-design.....

I think his web design is nice and simple

What? With the non-movable frame at the top with the massive logo
that effectively takes up 40% of the height on lower-res monitors?
Plus the same on the left taking up a third of the width? That leaves
his lame proposals in just 40% of the window area. Classic example of
web-design ignoring legacy systems to a degree that exludes users.
It's a good job that there's nothing worth reading on it....

Tom Anderson October 7th 04 02:35 PM

Crystal Palace solution

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John Rowland wrote:

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between
Crystal Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested
in the German solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the
safety bods just to get their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

That's genius.

Gets me thinking about other ways you could move trams, though. Could
you fit one on a (specially-built) flatbed in a tube tunnel? How about
a subsurface tunnel?

Been done, Kingsway Tram Subway

That's not what i meant - i meant loading a whole tram onto a flatbed
wagon, then sending that through a normal tube tunnel. Just like the way
cars use the Channel Tunnel. You could use it to provide high-speed
single-seat journeys between different suburban tram networks (eg Croydon
Tramlink to Cross-River Transit via the Northern Line ...). A backbone for
a tram internet, if you will.

tom

--
skin thinking

Piccadilly Pilot October 7th 04 03:34 PM

Crystal Palace solution

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

What would be the point? Why not simply run it on its own wheels or build a
normal underground railway?

Tom Anderson October 7th 04 07:39 PM

Crystal Palace solution

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

The point is that the tubes are already there, so you don't need to build
a new tunnel for the tram. Since tube trains are a bit big for on-street
running, bringing them up is a non-starter, so you have to send the trams
down. As for running on its own wheels - that could well be a better
solution; the only drawback is that trams are fairly slow, whereas a tube
train is fairly fast. You could always build faster trams, or attatch an
extra loco for the tube run, i suppose.

I have to confess that this is not an _entirely_ serious suggestion. But
then, i wouldn't have thought the tram-on-funicular was, either!

tom

--
Pizza: cheap, easy, and portable. Oh, wait, that's me. Never mind. -- Edda

Solar Penguin October 8th 04 10:28 AM

Crystal Palace solution

--- Matt Ashbysaid:

Err, is this guy actually suggesting that we dig up every road
junction in London in an attempt to separate pedestrians,
cycles and motor vehicles?

Which would make it very hard for pedestrians to catch a bus, if the
pavement is totally segregated from the bus stop!

Nick Leverton October 10th 04 10:29 PM

Crystal Palace solution

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:

Anyway, the Falkirk Wheel isn't real, it's just an elaborate hoax to trick
unwitting websurfers into thinking there's something worth visiting in
Falkirk. Haven't you noticed that every picture of it looks like it was
drawn by a CAD package?

I've wheely been round on it, John.

Nick
--
"And we will be restoring neurotypicality just as soon as we are sure
what is normal anyway. Thank you". -- not quite DNA