London Banter

-   -   A13: Why the new speed limit? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2287-a13-why-new-speed-limit.html)

Annabel Smyth October 24th 04 09:03 PM

A13: Why the new speed limit?

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 17 Oct 2004:

Do you seriously think that double glazing solves all these residents'
problems? What if it's hot and they want to open the window? What if
they ever want to spend time in their garden? Have you any idea how
noisy a 70mph road is, especially in wet weather?

How is that different for urban residents from country residents? If
you live in the country, near a main road, you just have to put up with
the noise.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Dave Arquati October 25th 04 10:50 AM

A13: Why the new speed limit?

Annabel Smyth wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 17 Oct 2004:

Do you seriously think that double glazing solves all these residents'
problems? What if it's hot and they want to open the window? What if
they ever want to spend time in their garden? Have you any idea how
noisy a 70mph road is, especially in wet weather?

How is that different for urban residents from country residents? If
you live in the country, near a main road, you just have to put up with
the noise.....

I didn't say there was any difference. I lived in the country about 100m
from a motorway for 18 years; we had double glazing from compensation
payments, so I was pointing out that double glazing only "solves" the
problem if you keep every door and window shut and don't go outside.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7