London Banter

-   -   Renting a Routemaster (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2334-renting-routemaster.html)

David FitzGerald October 28th 04 03:16 PM

Renting a Routemaster

Hi -

I am thinking of renting a Routemaster next summer for a wedding. Probably
will need to be a RML, since there'll be about 70 people I think. Going from
a hotel near Heathrow to Wentworth Golf Club in the afternoon, and back to
the hotel after the wedding, so a return trip (only 8-10 miles).

I thought there must be lots of places renting these, but can only find a
handful. I found this page:
http://www.routemaster.org.uk/links.htm#BusHire and called the companies on
it - but the chepest quote for a return I got was £550, which sounds like a
lot to me. Perhaps I just don;t understand the expenses involved.

Can anyone give some advice how to get a good deal to hire a Routemaster for
a wedding?

Thanks,
David.

Troy Tempest October 28th 04 04:31 PM

Renting a Routemaster

"David FitzGerald" wrote in message
[...]

Thats probably about right for a days hire; a days wages for the driver, a
tankful of fuel ( 200 litres x 89p per litre?) a bit of admin and some
profit and 600 Quid would just do it.

Compare a fleet of hire cars/limos/taxis for 70 drunk persons??

Neil

Mait001 October 28th 04 04:32 PM

Renting a Routemaster

With all of the "retired" Routemasters now being snapped up by enthusiasts, one
would have thought a figure like £200 would be reasonable to hire a bus and
driver for the day. The problem is,. however that a PCV licence and extra
insurance would be needed for a vehicle carry over 8 people and if there was
payment involved.

A friend of mine has just bought a Routemaster and I'll forward this enquiry to
him, but the licence / insurance problem is likely to prevent this from
happening. A pity really, since that would be an ideal way of a bus enthusiast
recouping some of the outlay and maintenance costs.

Marc.

Terry Harper October 28th 04 05:29 PM

Renting a Routemaster

"Mait001" wrote in message

A friend of mine has just bought a Routemaster and I'll forward this

enquiry to
him, but the licence / insurance problem is likely to prevent this from
happening. A pity really, since that would be an ideal way of a bus

enthusiast
recouping some of the outlay and maintenance costs.

There is a lot more to it than that. He needs an Operator's licence and a
PSV Licence, neither of which come cheaply. There is a lot of information on
the VOSA website http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Neil Spellings October 29th 04 06:06 AM

Renting a Routemaster

David FitzGerald wrote:

Can anyone give some advice how to get a good deal to hire a Routemaster for
a wedding?

Try www.timebus.co.uk

No affiliation, I just host their website, and remembered they do just
what you're after! No idea on pricing etc. Tell him Neil sent you and
you might get a discount :)

Cheers,

/Neil/
--
Web design, hosting and domain registration
http://www.spellings.net/

David FitzGerald October 29th 04 01:45 PM

Renting a Routemaster

Neil Spellings wrote in message k...
David FitzGerald wrote:

Can anyone give some advice how to get a good deal to hire a Routemaster for
a wedding?

Try www.timebus.co.uk

No affiliation, I just host their website, and remembered they do just
what you're after! No idea on pricing etc. Tell him Neil sent you and
you might get a discount :)

Thanks for the tip, Neil. I just called Trevor there but he costed it
at £595 for one way. I didn't hang around to hear the return price
since that's more expensive that other companies have quoted me for a
round-trip.

I think that as with everything wedding related the rule is that it
will cost twice what you think it will... even when you already apply
that rule beforehand!!!

Thanks again,
David.

Dave Plumb October 30th 04 10:31 PM

Renting a Routemaster

Can anyone give some advice how to get a good deal to hire a
Routemaster for
a wedding?

Try www.timebus.co.uk

since that's more expensive that other companies have quoted me for a

My sister had them do her wedding, they were very professional and it all
went off without a hitch, plenty of room for everyone and it was definitely
a spectacle (she told the guests they would have transport, but not that it
would be a bus!)

I recall if you had an open platform you need a conductor for safety, which
pushes the cost up, whereas the one with driver operated doors at the front
was single man operated and cheaper.

Plus of course they have to spend time checking the route beforehand to
verify it's bus-friendly etc.

Cheers,
Dave