Old November 5th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster?

As someone who lives 350 miles from the capital, but visits about four
times a year and find it inconvenient to go looking for a newsagent that
sales travel cards, is it worth my getting an Oyster?
--
Clive.

Old November 5th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Tim is offline

Clive Coleman wrote:
As someone who lives 350 miles from the capital, but visits about four
times a year and find it inconvenient to go looking for a newsagent that
sales travel cards, is it worth my getting an Oyster?

I love mine. Jump straight out of the train onto the tube. But I visit
about once a month.

I only have prepay - I'm never there for longer than a couple days.

I was really hoping they would have capping sorted by now. As it
happens I only usually make 2 tube journeys (my boss likes taxis). If I
happen to make three, I (work) just suffer the loss compared to a 1 day
travelcard.

Tim
Old November 5th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:09:47 +0000, Clive Coleman
wrote:

As someone who lives 350 miles from the capital, but visits about four
times a year and find it inconvenient to go looking for a newsagent that
sales travel cards, is it worth my getting an Oyster?

Could be if you were planning to buy weekly (or more) season tickets
when in London.

You could buy a season ticket online on then activate it at your
chosen Underground station when you arrvive in London.

With the 2005 fares, single bus tickets and single off-peak tube
fares will be cheaper on Oyster pre-pay, so for this reason Oyster
might be a good idea.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old November 5th 04, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive Coleman typed

As someone who lives 350 miles from the capital, but visits about four
times a year and find it inconvenient to go looking for a newsagent that
sales travel cards, is it worth my getting an Oyster?

Yes, get Oyster Pre-Pay (£3 deposit for card) and benefit from being
able to walk onto Tube trains without queueueueuing for tickets, using
cashless buses, and having lower fares all round.

You are also permitted to lend the Oyster to anybody, who can take
advantage of these features.

I would suggest putting about £20 of credit on the card.

If you register the card, you can get a refund if it gets lost, but
still lend it to friends.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 9th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jason" wrote in message

With the 2005 fares, single bus tickets and single off-peak tube
fares will be cheaper on Oyster pre-pay, so for this reason Oyster
might be a good idea.

They are already cheaper with 2004 fares. However to obtain an Oystercard
for PrePay only, you have to pay a £3 deposit. This makes tham less
attractive for people who are not likely to use them very often.

Bob

Old November 9th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Wood wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 9 Nov 2004:

"Jason" wrote in message

With the 2005 fares, single bus tickets and single off-peak tube
fares will be cheaper on Oyster pre-pay, so for this reason Oyster
might be a good idea.

They are already cheaper with 2004 fares. However to obtain an Oystercard
for PrePay only, you have to pay a £3 deposit. This makes tham less
attractive for people who are not likely to use them very often.

On the third hand, once you have one, you don't have to buy another one.
On the fourth hand, of course, what are the chances of your being able
to find it when you want it?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 9th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jason" wrote in message

With the 2005 fares, single bus tickets and single off-peak tube
fares will be cheaper on Oyster pre-pay, so for this reason Oyster
might be a good idea.

They are already cheaper with 2004 fares. However to obtain an Oystercard
for PrePay only, you have to pay a £3 deposit. This makes tham less
attractive for people who are not likely to use them very often.

On the third hand, once you have one, you don't have to buy another one.
On the fourth hand, of course, what are the chances of your being able
to find it when you want it?

If I had four hands I wouldn't be worrying about Oystercards!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 10th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:16:50 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Mrs Redboots wrote:

On the third hand, once you have one, you don't have to buy another one.
On the fourth hand, of course, what are the chances of your being able
to find it when you want it?

If I had four hands I wouldn't be worrying about Oystercards!

Maybe you could get a Hong Kong style Octopus?
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 10th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:53:57, Mrs Redboots wrote:

On the fourth hand, of course, what are the chances of your being able
to find it when you want it?

Always my problem.

And then I find the 'orribles have used up all the credit, and you can't
top-up a pre-pay online. grr

(OT, Annabel, you seem to have your From: and Reply-to: the wrong way
round - your From: *will* be harvested, and your Reply-to: won't work.)

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)

Always learning.

Old November 11th 04, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim Crowther wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 10 Nov 2004:

(OT, Annabel, you seem to have your From: and Reply-to: the wrong
way round - your From: *will* be harvested, and your Reply-to: won't
work.)

Do I? Thanks. Will sort it (but haven't as yet!).

Now have tried to, but there doesn't seem a way to do this in my
newsreader! I mean, I can mung the reply-to field, but don't seem to be
able to do the From field. Anybody else use Turnpike and know how to
other than manually every message, which is a bore?