London Banter

-   -   Pictures of the old station at Epsom (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2374-pictures-old-station-epsom.html)

Matthew Church November 7th 04 07:35 AM

Pictures of the old station at Epsom

[ukls and uktl added]

It is still standing. You can't see it easily from the road but you
can see it from the train, used nowadays as stores for shops in Upper
High Street PKA Station Road.

Click:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/gazetteer/...urr341gazA.htm

....then click "Epsom" then "Enlarge map" to bring up the 1879 map of
Epsom with the two old stations before they merged. I had one of my
very first pints in the Railway Hotel (Youngs) and would love to see a
picture of it. Likewise the goods yard to the east of the old station,
now houses, don't seem to be shown on the 1879 map, they seemed to my
youthful eyes to have a station building in them, what was that?

Anyone got any links to any pictures?

Peter Lawrence November 7th 04 06:03 PM

Pictures of the old station at Epsom

On 7 Nov 2004 00:35:21 -0800, (Matthew
Church) wrote:

[ukls and uktl added]

It is still standing. You can't see it easily from the road but you
can see it from the train, used nowadays as stores for shops in Upper
High Street PKA Station Road.

Click:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/gazetteer/...urr341gazA.htm

...then click "Epsom" then "Enlarge map" to bring up the 1879 map of
Epsom with the two old stations before they merged. I had one of my
very first pints in the Railway Hotel (Youngs) and would love to see a
picture of it. Likewise the goods yard to the east of the old station,
now houses, don't seem to be shown on the 1879 map, they seemed to my
youthful eyes to have a station building in them, what was that?

Anyone got any links to any pictures?

The Middleton Press book 'West Croydon to Epsom' has a fine
collection of pictures of the old station and its surroundings.

The goods yard is shown on the old maps; the building therein was a
goods shed but seems to have been built after the map was published.
Incidentally there was also a loco shed, on the other side of the
line, which survived as a store (in Longhursts timber yard) until the
1970s.

Interesting that the name 'Station Road' apparently survives about 80
years after it was renamed!

--
Peter Lawrence

N Cook November 7th 04 09:42 PM

Church) wrote:

[...]

Anything about the branch-line ? that served the ring of mental hospitals
West Park,Longrove,St Ebba's etc.
Still there 10 years ago the only remainder I'm aware of, at the end of Hook
Rd near
the Danetree Rd end farthest from Epsom in the fields unless now built on is
a pair of bridge parrapets for this long filled in railway cutting.

Some W. Eweell , Danetree Rd School recollections
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/danetree.htm

Troy Steadman November 8th 04 08:00 AM

"N Cook" wrote in message ...

Anything about the branch-line ? that served the ring of mental hospitals
West Park,Longrove,St Ebba's etc.

We were discussing that a week or two ago. The Long Grove line has now
finally (probably) entirely disappeared under the golf course and the
Long Grove housing development but there is plenty of residue from the
line you are talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/4nrpb

James November 8th 04 02:37 PM

Church) wrote:

[...]

Not a lot to see. Highway House is situated where the junction was.
The right-of-way behind Chessington Rd has mainly been sold off (and
forms part of people's back gardens). The bridge at Hook Rd is of
course still there, and carrying on for a fair bit beyond that is a
footpath on the former line through Horton Country Park (it's pretty,
but it's not really the interesting bit). All the hospitals except for
West Park and St Ebba's are now naff housing estates.

Dave \(Sgt. Pepper\) November 8th 04 04:40 PM

"N Cook" wrote in message

Anything about the branch-line ? that served the ring of mental hospitals
West Park,Longrove,St Ebba's etc.
Still there 10 years ago the only remainder I'm aware of, at the end of

Hook
Rd near
the Danetree Rd end farthest from Epsom in the fields unless now built on

is
a pair of bridge parrapets for this long filled in railway cutting.

Some W. Eweell , Danetree Rd School recollections
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/danetree.htm

I remember being told some years back by an elderly local, that the branch
line you refer to was used to transport ammunition to various gun
emplacements around the hospital cluster during WW2. I always get a bit
maudlin when I think of such wonderful old lines being destroyed. It would
have been so wonderful to have a preserved railway to run steam trains on
nowadays.
--
Dave (Sgt. Pepper) Epsom, England
Nikon D2H / D100 / Coolpix 5700 / Canon Ixus 400 / Paintshop Pro 8

Mike Pellatt November 27th 04 01:29 PM

Pictures of the old station at Epsom

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:40:19 -0000, Dave (Sgt. Pepper)
wrote:

"N Cook" wrote in message

[...]

Could hardly be described as a "branch line" as it was narrow gauge - Horton
Light Railway. The bridge that took Hook Road over the route of the line
before the construction of the new roundabout was constructed after
a lady was knocked down and killed by a train. The line was originally
built after the residents of Christ Church Road complained about the
rutting caused to the road by all the construction traffic for
West Park. Plus ca change (except the roads don't get rutted now).

Anyway, it was better than ammo transport. It was a mobile ack-ack gun,
IIRC. I think the leaflet available at the information office in Horton
Country Park mentions this, and even has a photo. Definitely seen it
somewhere. I'm sure the museum at Bourne Hall could confirm, if not
the Rangers.

--
Mike Pellatt
Just use R(eply) (from a standards-compliant newsreader)

Peter Lawrence November 28th 04 04:34 PM

Pictures of the old station at Epsom

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:29:57 -0000, Mike Pellatt
wrote:

Could hardly be described as a "branch line" as it was narrow gauge - Horton
Light Railway.

No! It was defintiely standard gauge.

--
Peter Lawrence

Mike Pellatt November 30th 04 09:42 AM

Pictures of the old station at Epsom

wrote:

Could hardly be described as a "branch line" as it was narrow gauge - Horton
Light Railway.

No! It was defintiely standard gauge.

Seems you are right

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/...ht_railway.htm

However, somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading that
after the original construction of Long Grove Hospital that the
orignal track was ripped up and then relaid later when the
power station was built.

Then again, maybe I dreamt it...............

Peter Lawrence November 30th 04 04:38 PM

Pictures of the old station at Epsom

wrote:

Could hardly be described as a "branch line" as it was narrow gauge - Horton
Light Railway.

No! It was defintiely standard gauge.

Seems you are right

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/...ht_railway.htm

However, somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading that
after the original construction of Long Grove Hospital that the
orignal track was ripped up and then relaid later when the
power station was built.

Then again, maybe I dreamt it...............

No you didn't. References earlier in this thread.
--
Peter Lawrence