London Banter

-   -   Epping-Ongar Railway: Worth a look (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2375-epping-ongar-railway-worth-look.html)

TheOneKEA November 8th 04 08:12 PM

Epping-Ongar Railway: Worth a look

Ken Wheatley wrote in message . ..
On 7 Nov 2004 12:27:55 -0800, (TheOneKEA) wrote:

I was talking to someone else who stated that a platform at Epping was
still vapourware; to make up for this, the group has a rather nice
RTL-class Routemaster, painted British racing green and bearing the
code RTL1256, which they intend to run between Epping LU and North
Weald for onward connections.

Good post.

However an RTL is an RTL - not as Routemaster. And presumably 'British
racing green' is London Transport buses country area livery?

I don't know a bloody thing about buses, so I will take your word for
it ;-)

Bus aficionados will really like it; it's in amazingly good condition
and looks excellent on the inside.

TheOneKEA November 8th 04 08:19 PM

Epping-Ongar Railway: Worth a look

(Boltar) wrote in message . com...
(TheOneKEA) wrote in message . com...
and a DMBS) was in relatively good condition, considering its age; it
seemed to have no trouble running at the current linespeed of 16mph,

Is there any servicable train outside of a Hornby train set that couln't run
at 16mph?

I don't know. But the volunetter I was speaking to said that the
engines on the 117 were problematic; thus, I was commenting that
despite these problems, it had no trouble at the slow speed it was
moving at.

The P-Way was OK, albeit restricted in two places to 10mph running due
to poor rail alignment, and festooned with broken and discarded power
rail insulators, some still upright and empty. I spoke to one of the
volunteers on the return trip from North Weald, who stated that the

Did you ask them why those idiots ripped up the power rails in the first place?

I decided that it would be in poor taste. The only reference made to
it was that the volunteers had not yet had the chance to remove the
insulators properly.

In my honest opinion, the EOR is worth a look.

I think you may be in a minority there :)

*shrug*

Does anybody have more information on the unmarked single-aspect inner
home at Ongar? What was its purpose?

Nick Leverton November 8th 04 08:29 PM

Epping-Ongar Railway: Worth a look

In article ,
Mark Brader wrote:
Interestingly, the old two-aspect station starter
and single-aspect inner home at Ongar are still extant ...

What's a single-aspect signal?

A signal with only one aspect.

Sigh. Okay. What *use* is a single-aspect signal?

Fixed distant, or fixed stop signal. Not what I'd expect to find doing
an inner home job, though ...

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself ...

James Looker November 9th 04 10:30 PM

Epping-Ongar Railway: Worth a look

David Splett wrote:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...

I looked at the signalling diagram for the LW and LX sites and
it makes no mention of a west-facing single-aspect signal at Ongar;
only LX21, the two-aspect station starter, and an FRL, are shown.
Does anyone have any more information?

The signal approaching Ongar was a fixed yellow, designed to act as a
repeater for the red lamps at the end of the line. This arrangements was/is
not unique on LU - I think there is a fixed yellow approaching Chesham, and
also most tunnel sidings have sequences of them. Most are un-numbered,
however the one at Ongar was unique in that it's ident was "ONGAR".

I would guess it was installed as part of the post-Moorgate enhancements.
Most termini would have the last signal held at red until the train was
proved to have slowed, but presumably other arrangements were necessary at
Ongar because there weren't any approach signals. Obviously the yellow
isn't going to stop a fast-approaching train, but it would provide
protection at night if a driver couldn't see the landmarks where he had to
start braking for the terminus.

This signal had a trip thing that went down a certain time after the
train has passed the signal - it was away from the signal. If the train
was approaching too quickly the trip thing would of still been up and
set of the brakes.

Mark Brader November 9th 04 11:42 PM

Epping-Ongar Railway: Worth a look

Mark Brader:
Sigh. Okay. What *use* is a single-aspect signal?

Nick Leverton:
Fixed distant, or fixed stop signal.

Oh, of course.
--
Mark Brader | (Monosyllables being forbidden to doctors of philosophy,
Toronto | such truths are called "invariants" in the trade.)

TheOneKEA November 10th 04 07:49 AM

James Looker wrote in message ...
David Splett wrote:

[...]

Sounds like an approach-controlled trainstop, to prove the train is at
the proper low speed before allowing it access to the platform.

James Looker November 10th 04 04:13 PM

David Splett wrote:

[...]

Agreed, or a trip thing as I like to call it.