Old November 13th 04, 08:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Merstham/Redhill interesting relics

My travels this week took me to this scruffy part of the world:

http://tinyurl.com/4q9tm

....but if you travel along Trowers Way to the Quarryside Business Park
via the railway bridge there are some fabulous evocative old railway
paraphernalia, steel level crossing gates, tracks meandering along the
roads and under bridges.

It looks like the whole lot is going to be bulldozed soon but I hope
not, a quick look round today's docklands shows that yesterday's
eyesore is tomorrow's interesting object.

Does anyone know the history of this railyard? Does anyone know if
what's left will be preserved?

I notice the tramlines outside Feltham Tramshed have finally been
filled in or dug up. That is a great shame, my interest in trams
started from wondering WTF those rail lines we doing in the middle of
Teddington

Old November 13th 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
om...
My travels this week took me to this scruffy part of the world:

http://tinyurl.com/4q9tm

...but if you travel along Trowers Way to the Quarryside Business Park
via the railway bridge there are some fabulous evocative old railway
paraphernalia, steel level crossing gates, tracks meandering along the
roads and under bridges.

It looks like the whole lot is going to be bulldozed soon but I hope
not, a quick look round today's docklands shows that yesterday's
eyesore is tomorrow's interesting object.

Does anyone know the history of this railyard? Does anyone know if
what's left will be preserved?

I notice the tramlines outside Feltham Tramshed have finally been
filled in or dug up. That is a great shame, my interest in trams
started from wondering WTF those rail lines we doing in the middle of
Teddington

Was this the rail access to the former British Industrial Sands site
(perhaps now WBB ?)- there used to be block trains of sand, and then later a
wagonload service by Speedlink, to the glass plants in the St Helens area.
Brian

Old November 13th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.local.surrey

"BH Williams" wrote in message

[...]

Seems quite likely. uk.local.surrey added.

Old November 13th 04, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.local.surrey

It was the railhead for BIS.

In they early 1980s they used to have two small diesel locos for marshalling
the trains. Then several times a week a shunt loco (BR Class 08) from
Redhill would run up to Merstham pick up empty wagons from the yard then run
back down to the Holmethorpe Signal Box and reverse down the bank into the
BIS yard pick up the full Wagons and take them back down to Redhill for
distribution.

I believe the tracks are due to be pulled up during the redevelopment of the
area.

news:25184be3accf14c38f8aac3690230d04.125090@mygat e.mailgate.org...

Old November 13th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13 Nov 2004 01:00:22 -0800, (Troy
Steadman) wrote:

My travels this week took me to this scruffy part of the world:

http://tinyurl.com/4q9tm

...but if you travel along Trowers Way to the Quarryside Business Park
via the railway bridge there are some fabulous evocative old railway
paraphernalia, steel level crossing gates, tracks meandering along the
roads and under bridges.

It looks like the whole lot is going to be bulldozed soon but I hope
not, a quick look round today's docklands shows that yesterday's
eyesore is tomorrow's interesting object.

Does anyone know the history of this railyard? Does anyone know if
what's left will be preserved?

I notice the tramlines outside Feltham Tramshed have finally been
filled in or dug up. That is a great shame, my interest in trams
started from wondering WTF those rail lines we doing in the middle of
Teddington

This sounds like remnants from the Surrey Iron Railway which ran
between Wandsworth & Croydon on a platway around 1810

Old November 14th 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.local.surrey

I believe the tracks are due to be pulled up during the redevelopment of the
area.

The area is due to be turned into housing (I believe). To gain access to
the site, with it being bounded by the Redhill (Slow) lines to the West
and the Quarry (Fast) lines to the East, a new bridge is being
constructed to allow the road to pass under the slow lines. This is
being carried out next month over a long Christmas possession.