Old November 13th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Car parking around Craven Cottage

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Stimpy" wrote in message
Christopher Hay wrote:
Hi all,

I am after some info on car parking around Craven Cottage, Fulhams
home ground (if you didn't know)

I am going to be driving down from Newcastle and will be driving
straight back after the game on Tuesday night which is Australia vs
Norway.

Treat yourself to first class on GNER and get the tube to Fulham.
Dinner
in the restaurant car on the way down and a few beers (and a kip) on the
way
back ;-)

Unfortunately the last train from Kings Cross to Newcastle is at 2200 so
that is not an option unless he wants to miss the second half.

A more realistic option would be park at a tube station and get a train
from there. Finchley Central would be fairly easy to get to from the M1
and there would be no trouble finding a space once the commuters have
gone.

Peter Smyth

Do you know how secure (ie CCTV) the car park for that tube station or
others are?

Chris

Old November 14th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Looker wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 13 Nov 2004:

I agree. I used to live in Putney. it's all resident permit parking, plus
they will be checking on a match day. Parking, no chance.

What about that huge car-park off Seagrave Road, where the South-Western
hospital used to be, many years ago. It is used mostly when there are
exhibitions at Earl's Court, but it's not all that far from Craven
Cottage - maybe a tad far to walk, but there are buses.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 14th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard Rundle wrote:

Fulham FC have been at Craven Cottage (except for that unavoidable
two-year sojourn at Loftus Road) for over 100 years. How long have
you been in the area? I think they have as much right as anyone to be
in SW6. Moving away from their spiritual home would be the death of
the club.

Look at Reading as an example of what *can* be done if the willpower and
money is there. Elm Park was a small, scruffy, crowded ground in a tightly
packed residential part of town - a PITA for both fans and local residents.
The move (5 miles?) across town to the Madjeski gave the club a modern,
usable stadium with plenty of car parking and easy access to the M4. The
club is now flourishing in it's new home - whats not to like about that?

Old November 14th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes

James Looker wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 13 Nov 2004:

I agree. I used to live in Putney. it's all resident permit parking, plus
they will be checking on a match day. Parking, no chance.

What about that huge car-park off Seagrave Road, where the South-Western
hospital used to be, many years ago.

Closes at 8.00pm, before the match even starts, unless there is
something late on at Earls Court, which I don't think there is.

It is used mostly when there are exhibitions at Earl's Court, but it's
not all that far from Craven Cottage - maybe a tad far to walk, but
there are buses.

The buses don't move on match days! The District line from West Brompton
(right by the car park) to Putney Bridge (10 minutes walk from Craven
Cottage) would be a better bet - but the OP would need to check opening
times carefully, since I don't think that car park would normally be
open in the late evening.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 14th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stimpy" wrote in message
Richard Rundle wrote:

Fulham FC have been at Craven Cottage (except for that unavoidable
two-year sojourn at Loftus Road) for over 100 years. How long have
you been in the area? I think they have as much right as anyone to be
in SW6. Moving away from their spiritual home would be the death of
the club.

Look at Reading as an example of what *can* be done if the willpower and
money is there. Elm Park was a small, scruffy, crowded ground in a
tightly
packed residential part of town - a PITA for both fans and local
residents.
The move (5 miles?) across town to the Madjeski gave the club a modern,
usable stadium with plenty of car parking and easy access to the M4. The
club is now flourishing in it's new home - whats not to like about that?

Well, I travel to games via public transport, and in that regard the
Madjeski is a ****ing nightmare.

The cab fare from station to ground is one of the most expensive in the
division, while getting back to the station requires a long wait to go on
some ****y bus, 'cause no cab driver will come and pick you up.

BTN

Old November 16th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
Fulham FC have been at Craven Cottage (except for that unavoidable
two-year
sojourn at Loftus Road) for over 100 years. How long have you been in the
area? I think they have as much right as anyone to be in SW6. Moving away
from their spiritual home would be the death of the club.

--
Richard

Actually, Richard, I have lived in the same house for my entire life (39
years), so would argue that my claim is at least as great.

At the time my parents bought this house (in 1963), football-generated car
traffic was virtually non-existent.

Now, it means that we can't leave the house on match days (we can't drive
or
use public transport because of the traffic jams) and dare not return home
during weekday match times, unless we want to sit in the car for 2 or 3
hours
until the football fans have left.

Doesn't sound too different from when I used to go to Stamford Bridge in the
late-'60s/early-'70s. Except in those days you had large crowds of
skinheads - on foot of course and heading to/from the tube stations - to
negotiate.

I don't see how you can argue your claim is as great, though. Your argument
appears as valid as if some yuppy who bought into Fulham in the 80's wanted
your family to move away because you're reminiscent of when Fulham was a
toilet.

Shane

Old November 16th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Doesn't sound too different from when I used to go to Stamford Bridge in the
late-'60s/early-'70s. Except in those days you had large crowds of
skinheads - on foot of course and heading to/from the tube stations - to
negotiate.

Did Wandsworth Bridge Road become log-jammed for up to 2 hours after each match
in those days? I certainly don't recall this, and I've been living here for 39
years.

I don't see how you can argue your claim is as great, though. Your argument
appears as valid as if some yuppy who bought into Fulham in the 80's wanted
your family to move away because you're reminiscent of when Fulham was a
toilet.

That's, with respect, utter rubbish. Firstly, my parents were amongst the first
private-owners in our stretch of road (since 1963), and it had been in
multiple-occupation when they bought it. By comparison to the dilapidated
Council houses on each side of and behanind ours it was (and is) a model of
smartness, and as for respectability, my parents were (and are) an epitome of
middle-class respectability, holding the spare keys for countless neighbours,
feedng their cats and fish when they are on holiday etc.

Leaving the ineptness of your comparison, I really don't see the comparison you
are trying to make.

I am not suggesting that Chelsea and Fulham F.C.s move because they are
football clubs - I have no time whatsoever for that "sport" but that is not my
complaint. My complaint is that the nature of their presence has fundamentally
CHANGED, in that a large number of extra cars inserted into this area once a
week (or whatever) is simply ridiculous and a major detriment to the quality of
life of those who live here. Planning consent for this type of development
would NEVER be granted nowadays - it would not even get past the environmental
impact stage.

Marc.
Old November 16th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
Doesn't sound too different from when I used to go to Stamford Bridge in
the
late-'60s/early-'70s. Except in those days you had large crowds of
skinheads - on foot of course and heading to/from the tube stations - to
negotiate.

Did Wandsworth Bridge Road become log-jammed for up to 2 hours after each
match
in those days? I certainly don't recall this, and I've been living here
for 39
years.

It varied, but it was murder in almost every case - and it depended on how
many other London clubs were playing too. Of course, then, everyone played
3.00 PM Saturday.

[...]

You seem unable to appreciate the point that the hypothetical argument is
meant to be baseless - just as, frankly, yours is. What the hell does your
family's *middle-class respectability* have to do with anything? Are you
failing to get the point that the hypothetical yuppy is supposed to be a
shallow prick?

Leaving the ineptness of your comparison, I really don't see the
comparison you
are trying to make.

I am not suggesting that Chelsea and Fulham F.C.s move because they are
football clubs - I have no time whatsoever for that "sport"

The national "sport", you mean?

but that is not my
complaint. My complaint is that the nature of their presence has
fundamentally
CHANGED, in that a large number of extra cars inserted into this area once
week (or whatever) is simply ridiculous and a major detriment to the
quality of
life of those who live here. Planning consent for this type of
development
would NEVER be granted nowadays - it would not even get past the
environmental
impact stage.

I don't really care about your complaint. You're a snob.

Shane

Old November 16th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It varied, but it was murder in almost every case - and it depended on how
many other London clubs were playing too. Of course, then, everyone played
3.00 PM Saturday.

Point taken, but I can remember vast stretches of empty road, even around
3.p.m. on Saturday afternoons.

What the hell does your
family's *middle-class respectability* have to do with anything?

You, not me, were referring to yuppies or whatever wanting other longer-present
residents to leave since it reminded them of Fulham's previously humbler
status. I was merely pointing out that not ALL of the people who have lived in
Fulham since pre-yuppie days were guttersnipes, as you seemed to imply.

Are you
failing to get the point that the hypothetical yuppy is supposed to be a
shallow prick?

If that is your opinion, you are entitled to it. I know somevery nice yuppies,
some horrible ones and everything inbetween. The same for people of all classes
and backgrounds. I would NEVER resort to stereotypes as freely as you seem to.

- I have no time whatsoever for that "sport"

The national "sport", you mean?

Indeed, I regard it as a business where some dubious individuals make a lot of
money and a lot of hapless individuals are quite happy to give them that money.

I regard cricket as my national sport - as indeed did England until relatively
recently.

I don't really care about your complaint.

So why bother to interact with me?

You're a snob.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

Marc.
Old November 18th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sir Benjamin Nunn wrote:

Well, I travel to games via public transport, and in that regard the
Madjeski is a ****ing nightmare.

Was Elm Park really that much closer to the station?