London Banter

-   -   Eurostar to quit Waterloo (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2403-eurostar-quit-waterloo.html)

Clive D. W. Feather December 13th 04 11:03 PM

Eurostar to quit Waterloo

In article , Aidan Stanger
writes
Some of them aren't that deep. Victoria is closest to the surface,
Piccadilly is just underneath, and Northern is just underneath that.
However, all of them are over to the eastern side of the overground
station and the tube ticket hall.

How far down is the Fleet where they cross it?

My understanding is that it is level with the tube ticket hall.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Joe December 17th 04 02:40 PM

Eurostar to quit Waterloo

There'd be no time left to enjoy my day trip to Paris at all.

"enjoy" and "Paris" aren't normally words I'd expect to see in the same
sentence :-P
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

Roland Perry December 17th 04 03:39 PM

Eurostar to quit Waterloo

In message , at 15:40:25 on Fri, 17 Dec
2004, Joe remarked:
There'd be no time left to enjoy my day trip to Paris at all.

"enjoy" and "Paris" aren't normally words I'd expect to see in the same
sentence :-P

So you'd never say you enjoyed leaving Paris?

Mrs Redboots December 17th 04 05:21 PM

Eurostar to quit Waterloo

Joe wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 17 Dec 2004:

There'd be no time left to enjoy my day trip to Paris at all.

"enjoy" and "Paris" aren't normally words I'd expect to see in the same
sentence :-P

Good heavens, whyever not? I lived there for four years, many years ago
now, and adored it. Still love going back - we are thinking of a short
break there next month, just because.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Joe December 17th 04 08:25 PM

Eurostar to quit Waterloo (OT)

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Good heavens, whyever not? I lived there for four years, many years ago
now, and adored it. Still love going back - we are thinking of a short
break there next month, just because.

Well I suppose my main reason was that I went there with someone in a
wheelchair, and Paris seems to be the most wheelchair-unfriendly city
that I have ever taken my mum to, it's rare to find a bus that has an
operational wheelchair ramp, there is no map avaliable for the metro for
those who want to take wheelchairs on it, and the lowered kerbs aren't
very lowered, plus almost every resturaunt had steps to get in.
Food & Drinks were very expensive (I spent about £5 on a cup of tea),
and there didn't seem to be much around to do, I spent every night in my
room watching BBC World.

Stimpy December 17th 04 08:31 PM

Joe wrote:
there didn't seem to be much around to do, I spent every night in
my room watching BBC World.

In Paris?? You couldn't have looked very hard; it's a great city for
nightlife - music, theatre, food, great bars

Joe December 17th 04 08:48 PM

Stimpy wrote:
In Paris?? You couldn't have looked very hard; it's a great city for
nightlife - music, theatre, food, great bars

I was looking more for family things, still - I've visited Madrid, New
York, Paris, Boston & London - London wins by a mile.

Mrs Redboots December 18th 04 10:33 AM

Eurostar to quit Waterloo (OT)

Joe wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 17 Dec 2004:

Well I suppose my main reason was that I went there with someone in a
wheelchair, and Paris seems to be the most wheelchair-unfriendly city
that I have ever taken my mum to, it's rare to find a bus that has an
operational wheelchair ramp, there is no map avaliable for the metro for
those who want to take wheelchairs on it, and the lowered kerbs aren't
very lowered, plus almost every resturaunt had steps to get in.
Food & Drinks were very expensive (I spent about £5 on a cup of tea),
and there didn't seem to be much around to do, I spent every night in
my room watching BBC World.

I agree about the wheelchair access (of course, when I lived there, this
was not considered an issue either there or here), but there's masses to
do in Paris! Loads and loads of films (very often in "Version
Originale", meaning the original language with subtitles, very often
English), shows, theatres, etc. And quite apart from anything else, an
evening meal in a French restaurant will very often last until bedtime!
And if the weather is fine, you can just walk and walk and walk,
stopping every so often for a cup of coffee or beer....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/