Old January 5th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default '0207 008 0000'

In article , Martin Rich
writes
According to the BT archives, the handful of A/B button
phones in Scotland survived because they used radio links which didn't
support the meter pulsing necessary for the pay-on-answer phones.

Could it be that A/B phones could only be used for local calls?

There was a time in the mid-1970s when some rural exchanges still didn't
have Subscriber Trunk Dialling when most places did. I remember seeing a
placard in a phone box saying that local calls were 2p unlimited if STD
was not available, or 2p per [3 minutes, I think] if it was.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old January 5th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Graham J
writes
Does leaving out the 020 actually work reliably when you aren't using a BT
line or are redirecting calls via another provider?

It's an Ofcom requirement that you can leave out the area code when
dialling within the same code. [Note that mobile codes like 07973 are
not "area codes" for this reason.] So from any 020 line it is possible
to dial all other 020 numbers without the code.

This applies equally in 023 and 028, where not all intra-code calls are
local.

On a sort of related subject, at one London based company I worked for we
were moving to a brand new office and so having a new PABX installed. The
IT Manager hit on the idea of having the code for the outside line be "0"

[...]

That's how the PBX at Demon worked for many years; you dialled an
internal number or an external one without having to think.

With a bit of special handling for external numbers not
beginning with "0"

IIRC, our usual practice was to dial 141 in front of these (since that
was recognised and also escaped out to an external line, just like 0).

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old January 5th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

That's how the PBX at Demon worked for many years; you dialled an
internal number or an external one without having to think.

Ah, that would explain where the idea came from :-) There was me thinking
he'd come up with it for himself instead of bringing it with him :-)

Old January 5th 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

Could it be that A/B phones could only be used for local calls?

You could only use them for local calls. STD didn't exist, so you had to
call the operator. She (or he at night) told you how much to insert for your
trunk call, and when to press button A.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old January 6th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Martin Rich wrote:

My last sighting of an A/B button box in the UK was on the *North*
coast of Scotland - to similar astonishment - circa 1989: we were
definitely travelling in a car that I'd acquired in April 1988 so it
wasn't earlier than that.

I remember a news story about the last Button A/Button B phone being
decommissioned - I think it was in the early 1990s.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,
Old January 6th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J.
writes
Precisely. That's why your original statement (which you conveniently
snipped) that you could call London Transport enquiries *from a
telephone in London* by dialling "222 1234" was not true if the
telephone was in the 0181 part of London.

OK, I understand your point now: I should have said "from a telephone
in the central telephone zone of London".

--
Clive Page
Old January 6th 05, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Charlie Pearce
writes
But the area codes were *never* 0207 and 0208 - this is just a (very)
commonly-held misconception because the changeover wasn't communicated
well enough.

Well we are getting in to questions of semantic, I fear, as to the
meaning of "dialling code". I still think that during the transition
period, when the local numbers were 7 digits long, and one could call
them by starting dialling 020... that, following the rules of the ITU
E.123, the space in the number should have preceded the local part of
the number, i.e. before the last seven digits. So that the number could
have been given either as 0171 xxx yyyy or with equal validity 0207 xxx
yyyy.

It wasn't until London got eight-digit local dialling that the former
code vanished, and the space moved to a point before the 7 (or 8). Of
course Oftel didn't support this, and it's a somewhat pedantic point,
but it seems undeniable, if you read E.123 carefully.

--
Clive Page
Old January 7th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:54:01 +0000, Clive Page
wrote:

In article , Charlie Pearce
writes
But the area codes were *never* 0207 and 0208 - this is just a (very)
commonly-held misconception because the changeover wasn't communicated
well enough.

Well we are getting in to questions of semantic, I fear, as to the
meaning of "dialling code". I still think that during the transition
period, when the local numbers were 7 digits long, and one could call
them by starting dialling 020... that, following the rules of the ITU
E.123, the space in the number should have preceded the local part of
the number, i.e. before the last seven digits. So that the number could
have been given either as 0171 xxx yyyy or with equal validity 0207 xxx
yyyy.

I disagree - the number could have been given as either 0171 xxx yyyy
or 020 7xxx yyyy during the transition period, but you could only
choose to dial 0171 xxx yyyy, xxx yyyy or 020 7xxx yyyy.

Charlie

--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs

BEST CAB SEVRICE TO AIRPORT 24 /7 CALL NOW 0207-4908822 [email protected] London Transport 7 January 10th 08 06:57 PM
0207 222 1234 London Transport 52 April 19th 07 12:03 AM
Vehicle registrations (was '0207 008 0000') Terry Harper London Transport 0 January 5th 05 11:27 PM