Old January 16th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thabks to Chiltern - but how about extra carriages?

There were no Metropolitan Lines running south of Harrow on the Hill again this
weekend, due to pre-planned engineering work. Ok, fair enough. The Chiltern
Line into Marylebone offers a nice fast one-stop service.
But once again, there seemed to be no extra carriage to take the extra
passengers on this. Last time this happened was just at the start of the sales,
Wednesday 29 December, the platform was packed, and hearing the announcement
that the Chiltern train was already too crowded before it reached Harrow, I
made a quick change of plans and hopped on the empty Amersham train (leaving
from the same platform) just as its doors closed. I'm OK, I've got my Freedom
Pass, but obviously one can't always be so flexible , and for elderly or
disabled people and those travelling with youngsters, standing in a packed
carriage all the way is quite a hardship, even if they manage to get on, and
even though it is a mercifully short journey, being one-stop.
Would it be beyond the resources of TfL and Chiltern between them to arrange to
have a longer train on these days when the extra capacity is needed? There is
plenty of platform length to spare.

Date: 16 Jan 2005 19:21:56 GMT

[...]

I guess it also partly depends on demand on the Birmingham services
(much higher when there are WCML engineering works) and on platform
space at Marylebone rather than Harrow, as at the former they tend to
occupy platforms with more than one train - although that may just be a
weekday practice.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Date: 16 Jan 2005 19:21:56 GMT

[...]

Other considerations include there being a limit on 5 carriage trains
for Chiltern on the Aylesbury - London via Amersham route, due, I
believe, to the platform length at Rickmansworth. And, considering
they only have 11 three car 165's, its possible there will be a few 4
car units as well, not forgetting, as has been mentioned, needing to
have suitable capacity on the Birmingham route too. Plus, as a
weekend, its likely some stock would be undergoing maintenance, and 2
or 3 of the 165s away for refurbishment.

Old January 16th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Just wait until next weekend, No Met south of Horrible on the Hill, AND
NO CHILTERN AT ALL (sunday only for the next few weeks), I think they're
doing an Aylesbury to Amersham shunt though.

CharlesPottins wrote:

[...]
From:
(CharlesPottins)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london

Old January 16th 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"General Von Clinkerhoffen" wrote in
message ...
Just wait until next weekend, No Met south of Horrible on the Hill,
AND NO CHILTERN AT ALL (sunday only for the next few weeks), I think
they're doing an Aylesbury to Amersham shunt though.

Yep.
Info on Chiltern's website says there will be a replacement bus from
Amersham to Beaconsfield, so that passengers can pick up a London
train from there. Although I suspect Aylesbury passengers would be
better off just getting a direct train (via High Wycombe) instead.

CharlesPottins wrote:

[...]
From:
(CharlesPottins)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london

Old January 16th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matt Wheeler ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Other considerations include there being a limit on 5 carriage trains
for Chiltern on the Aylesbury - London via Amersham route, due, I
believe, to the platform length at Rickmansworth. And, considering
they only have 11 three car 165's

So why do they insist on running 2 car units on weekday evenings, while
there's plenty of *other* 2 car units sat dark and quiet on the platforms
at Marylebone and in sidings just outside?
Old January 16th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Matt Wheeler
writes

"General Von Clinkerhoffen" wrote in
message ...
Just wait until next weekend, No Met south of Horrible on the Hill,
AND NO CHILTERN AT ALL (sunday only for the next few weeks), I think
they're doing an Aylesbury to Amersham shunt though.

Yep.
Info on Chiltern's website says there will be a replacement bus from
Amersham to Beaconsfield, so that passengers can pick up a London
train from there. Although I suspect Aylesbury passengers would be
better off just getting a direct train (via High Wycombe) instead.

It's not just next weekend... It's going to be like this until March on
both Met and Chiltern.
--
Dave B
Old January 16th 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

daveb ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Just wait until next weekend, No Met south of Horrible on the Hill,
AND NO CHILTERN AT ALL (sunday only for the next few weeks), I think
they're doing an Aylesbury to Amersham shunt though.

It's not just next weekend... It's going to be like this until March on
both Met and Chiltern.

groan
PLEASE tell me you're kidding...

This is all Wembley Bloody Park?
Old January 16th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Adrian
writes
daveb ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Just wait until next weekend, No Met south of Horrible on the Hill,
AND NO CHILTERN AT ALL (sunday only for the next few weeks), I think
they're doing an Aylesbury to Amersham shunt though.

It's not just next weekend... It's going to be like this until March on
both Met and Chiltern.

groan
PLEASE tell me you're kidding...

This is all Wembley Bloody Park?

The Met is due to Wembley.

Chiltern I'm not sure about. Hope it's not because they don't want the
hassle of taking all the Met passengers as well as their own.

Anyone know?

--
Dave B
Old January 16th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
.4...

So why do they insist on running 2 car units on weekday evenings, while
there's plenty of *other* 2 car units sat dark and quiet on the platforms
at Marylebone and in sidings just outside?

That is, indeed, becoming an increasing problem. On Wednesday and Thursday
nights, in particular, it is not unusual to find the post-theatregoing
trains with standing room only.