Old January 17th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus route statistics

Is there any resource which shows which bus routes in London are the
busiest, either overall or per section of route?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old January 17th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

This excellent site gives details of the Peak Vehicle Requirement:
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/details.htm
which you can multiply by capacity of a vehicle and divide by the route
length to get a 'passengers capacity per km' figure. Or multiply the
frequency by the vehicle capacity for 'passengers per hour'. That
should tell you which route has the most capacity. Whether that would
actually be the busiest route, who knows!

Dominic

Old January 17th 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:43:53 +0000, Dave Arquati wrote:

Is there any resource which shows which bus routes in London are the
busiest, either overall or per section of route?

I did the obvious look in the Tfl report library on their website and
found nothing. I imagine you've looked there already!

I can't even think of anything obvious on the TfL intranet at work which
would list what you want.

Some of the contenders for busiest routes are the 73 (certainly was the
busiest route), 207, 38, 29, 253/4 and the 12. The 12 has probably
fallen down the list following its cut back from west london and the
introduction of the 148 that has taken a lot of its passengers.

The simplest answer is to make a Freedom of Information request to TfL.
I note that there is a class for performance information but amazingly
usage of routes is not in there. I can't see any reason for refusing to
provide such statistics given that you can't set up a competing bus
route with ease in London!
--
Paul C

Old January 17th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

This is only really motivated by curiosity rather than anything else. I
thought perhaps with the advent of Oyster, the information would be
collected more easily (and perhaps more accurately) than before.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old January 17th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

wrote:
This excellent site gives details of the Peak Vehicle Requirement:
http://www.londonbusroutes.net/details.htm
which you can multiply by capacity of a vehicle and divide by the route
length to get a 'passengers capacity per km' figure. Or multiply the
frequency by the vehicle capacity for 'passengers per hour'. That
should tell you which route has the most capacity. Whether that would
actually be the busiest route, who knows!

Thanks, the site is very comprehensive - so much so it takes a bit of
time to look through all that data! The most frequent route looks like
the 38 (running with intervals of up to 2 minutes in the peaks) but that
may reflect its continued Routemaster operation where other
high-capacity routes use bendies.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7