London Banter

-   -   Never a dull moment on the Tube (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2676-never-dull-moment-tube.html)

Alan \(in Brussels\) January 17th 05 09:18 PM

Never a dull moment on the Tube

Did anybody see this today ?

From The Times January 17, 2005

Dancers find Underground appeal

By Dalya Alberge, Arts Correspondent

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...444429,00.html

THE Rambert Dance Company is going down the tube, literally finding a new
platform for its productions. Britain's oldest dance company is staging the
first ballet on the London Underground in an attempt to reach out to the
masses.

Today, 14 costumed dancers will vault ticket barriers, descend the
escalators and pirouette in the main concourse of Canary Wharf station, on
the Jubilee line to Waterloo and in the Eurostar departure lounge.

SNIP part of story

Passengers will encounter six extracts from Constant Speed, a new work set
to vibrant music composed in 1905 by Franz Lehár. The full-length ballet
premieres at Sadler's Wells in London in May.

Ticket sales are expected to reflect the impact of the preview underground
performances. Mr Baldwin said that Lehár's "noisy" music would blare out
from a boom box positioned on the Tube while some of the dancers sit in a
row, doing arm and leg movements, "like a ripple".

The production has been commissioned by Visit London (www.visitlondon.com),
which promotes the capital, in an attempt to take ballet and dance to a new
generation of audiences and to promote performing arts in the city.

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels, where entertainment on the métro is provided only by
buskers)

Boltar January 20th 05 09:28 AM

Never a dull moment on the Tube

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 19 Jan 2005:

Given that ballet dancing makes needle point look like a macho hobby
(despite the best efforts of that Billy Elliot drivel) I don't know
many
guys who would and that ones that do generally bat for the other

team.

"Billy Elliot" may be drivel, but I think your second comment is a

case
of giving a dog a bad name and hanging him. In the USA they say it
about figure skaters, too, and it's also not true.

Isn't it? Pull the other one. John Curry , real heterosexual guy he
was.
What was it he died of again? And as for that rambo of a man Robin
Cousins...

That's not the hard part - the hard part, as in ice skating, is the
absolute muscle control required over every single body part so that
it's in the right place at the right moment. And *that* requires a

high
level of fitness. Besides which, they train for several hours every

I'm sure they have reasonable level fitness, but put them up against
real
athletes like boxers or pentathletes and I doubt they'd fare too well.
Anyway , this is going way off topic.

B2003

Brimstone January 20th 05 11:52 AM

Boltar wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:
Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 19 Jan 2005:

Given that ballet dancing makes needle point look like a macho hobby
(despite the best efforts of that Billy Elliot drivel) I don't know
many
guys who would and that ones that do generally bat for the other
team.

"Billy Elliot" may be drivel, but I think your second comment is a
case of giving a dog a bad name and hanging him. In the USA they
say it about figure skaters, too, and it's also not true.

Isn't it? Pull the other one. John Curry , real heterosexual guy he
was.
What was it he died of again? And as for that rambo of a man Robin
Cousins...

So becaue you can name two people who were open about their preferences
everyone who does that job is the same? Is everyone you work with the same
as you?

Clive D. W. Feather January 20th 05 04:36 PM

Never a dull moment on the Tube

In article , Brimstone
writes
Isn't it? Pull the other one. John Curry , real heterosexual guy he
was.
What was it he died of again? And as for that rambo of a man Robin
Cousins...

So becaue you can name two people who were open about their preferences
everyone who does that job is the same?

They say that the ones who complain about it the most are the ones who
are afraid to come out of the closet.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Mrs Redboots January 20th 05 04:50 PM

Boltar wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 20 Jan 2005:

"Billy Elliot" may be drivel, but I think your second comment is a

case
of giving a dog a bad name and hanging him. In the USA they say it
about figure skaters, too, and it's also not true.

Isn't it? Pull the other one. John Curry , real heterosexual guy he
was.
What was it he died of again? And as for that rambo of a man Robin
Cousins...

Yes, that's two. And I could name a great many more heterosexual ones,
including the current British men's champion who may yet become as
famous as Curry & Cousins were in their day. There are gay figure
skaters, just as there are gay clergy and gay ballet dancers, but not
all of them are, not even a majority. Rather the reverse....

I'm sure they have reasonable level fitness, but put them up against
real
athletes like boxers or pentathletes and I doubt they'd fare too well.

Yes, the boxers and pentathletes would fare very badly.

--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Guy Perry January 20th 05 05:33 PM

Boltar wrote:

Given that ballet dancing makes needle point look like a macho hobby
(despite the best efforts of that Billy Elliot drivel) I don't know
many
guys who would and that ones that do generally bat for the other team.

So what should mankind do about it? Kill the ballet dancers?

Brimstone January 20th 05 07:32 PM

Never a dull moment on the Tube

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Brimstone
writes
Isn't it? Pull the other one. John Curry , real heterosexual guy he
was.
What was it he died of again? And as for that rambo of a man Robin
Cousins...

So becaue you can name two people who were open about their preferences
everyone who does that job is the same?

They say that the ones who complain about it the most are the ones who are
afraid to come out of the closet.

I've heard that said before.

Tom Anderson January 20th 05 07:38 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Guy Perry wrote:

Boltar wrote:

Given that ballet dancing makes needle point look like a macho hobby
(despite the best efforts of that Billy Elliot drivel) I don't know
many guys who would and that ones that do generally bat for the other
team.

So what should mankind do about it? Kill the ballet dancers?

Definitely.

I'm not homophobic, i just hate ballet.

tom

--
You knows it!

Guy Perry January 20th 05 08:03 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Guy Perry wrote:
So what should mankind do about it? Kill the ballet dancers?

Definitely.

I'm not homophobic, i just hate ballet.

What do you like instead? Football, cricket, Formula one, alpine skiing,
nordic skiing...?

Tom Anderson January 21st 05 12:33 AM

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Guy Perry wrote:
So what should mankind do about it? Kill the ballet dancers?

Definitely.

I'm not homophobic, i just hate ballet.

What do you like instead? Football, cricket, Formula one, alpine skiing,
nordic skiing...?

I hate everything.

tom

--
Michael Jackson had that idea back in the 80s. There was even a ride at Disneyland.