Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 4th 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Uni

James Farrar wrote:

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:28:32 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

When i was an undergraduate, we had quite a bit of teaching from graduate
students in our first year (classes and tutorials, not actual lectures),
then purely lecturers after that. I think this is a good approach - the
stuff in the first year is so basic that it can be handled perfectly well
by more junior people.

Not so at my uni in my course in my time. They had PhD students taking
tutorials up to and including finalists.

I must admit I've discovered that as a student, I'm a pretty good teacher,
even if I say so myself (well, because all the other students say so).
Probably because of my age, and because of a tendency to address the whole
room in an animated and expressive way, many's the time that various other
students had thought I was a lecturer all along. I can see that if I took
up that avenue, I'd enjoy it and do a pretty good job of it, and students
would hopefully benefit. Then again, I'm not taking into account the
preparation and behind the scenes work that I imagine must be involved.
--
Ian Tindale