London Banter

-   -   02-28-2005 at Moorgate (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2741-02-28-2005-moorgate.html)

TheOneKEA February 7th 05 11:28 AM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Does anyone know if anything will be happening on this date at that
station?

Mrs Redboots February 7th 05 11:47 AM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

TheOneKEA wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:

Does anyone know if anything will be happening on this date at that
station?

(A) What date? We don't have 28 months in a year..... (sorry, but doing
day-month-year is not only counter-intuitive, it's also American!)

(B) I assume trains will be running to-from it as usual, although not
Thameslink ones.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Marc Brett February 7th 05 01:16 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

On 7 Feb 2005 04:28:34 -0800, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

Does anyone know if anything will be happening on this date at that
station?

30th Anniversary of the 1975 Moorgate train crash?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2515033.stm

TheOneKEA February 7th 05 02:29 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Mrs Redboots wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:

Does anyone know if anything will be happening on this date at that
station?

(A) What date? We don't have 28 months in a year..... (sorry, but
doing day-month-year is not only counter-intuitive, it's also
American!)

*shrug*

I tend to use either MMDDYYYY or YYYYMMDD.

(B) I assume trains will be running to-from it as usual, although not
Thameslink ones.

Last I checked, Thameslink doesn't serve Moorgate GN&C, WA does.

Brimstone February 7th 05 03:31 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

"Marc Brett" wrote in message
On 7 Feb 2005 04:28:34 -0800, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

Does anyone know if anything will be happening on this date at that
station?

30th Anniversary of the 1975 Moorgate train crash?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2515033.stm

Why should anything be happening?

TheOneKEA February 7th 05 04:01 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Brimstone wrote:

Why should anything be happening?

Because it is the 30-year anniversary of the worst train disaster on
the Underground to date?

Mrs Redboots February 7th 05 04:29 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Mrs Redboots wrote:

(B) I assume trains will be running to-from it as usual, although not
Thameslink ones.

Last I checked, Thameslink doesn't serve Moorgate GN&C, WA does.

I think you'll find there were rush hour services until the blockade
started.

Brimstone February 7th 05 05:09 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Brimstone wrote:

Why should anything be happening?

Because it is the 30-year anniversary of the worst train disaster on
the Underground to date?

So what, why is there this fascination with commemorating every incident
than occurs where someone dies? How about commemorating Quitinshill,
Abermule, Harrow and the other incidents that have occured. We could also
add Staines, L:ockerbie and various other such incidents. What leads you to
suppose that the relatives and those involved as either as surviving
passengers or emergency services personnel want to be reminded?

The "memorial", if you want one, is in daily use all over the system. It's
know as "Moorgate Control".

Stephen Osborn February 7th 05 06:16 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

TheOneKEA wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:

TheOneKEA wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:

Does anyone know if anything will be happening on this date at that
station?

(A) What date? We don't have 28 months in a year..... (sorry, but
doing day-month-year is not only counter-intuitive, it's also
American!)

*shrug*

I tend to use either MMDDYYYY or YYYYMMDD.

Language is there to enable us to communicate.

No only does MMDDYYYY as a date format make no sense at all but, as it
is used in only a relatively small area, using it anywhere else hinders
rather than helps communication.

Also look at the group title.

TheOneKEA February 7th 05 07:14 PM

02-28-2005 at Moorgate

Mrs Redboots wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 7 Feb 2005:
Last I checked, Thameslink doesn't serve Moorgate GN&C, WA does.

I think you'll find there were rush hour services until the blockade
started.

*cough*

I said Moorgate _GN&C_ - Greant Northern & City, the underground NR
platforms. The subsurface NR platforms were indeed served by
Thameslink, but were originally part of the Met.