London Banter

-   -   IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2777-ippr-suggest-greater-south-east.html)

Rich Mallard February 16th 05 11:07 AM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

Interesting stuff, which superficially I like the sound of. It's about time
this notion that London should somehow be artificially divorced from its
south east context is challenged, and this helps do just that. IMO, in
terms of transport and many other matters, the London area should be managed
as an integral part of the south east of England, not separated out into an
artificial region, with the surrounding area divided between two further
administrative regions - east and south east.

Rich

Paul Terry February 16th 05 12:19 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

In message , Rich Mallard
writes

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

Interesting stuff, which superficially I like the sound of. It's about time
this notion that London should somehow be artificially divorced from its
south east context is challenged, and this helps do just that.

Perhaps it could be called Network SouthEast :)

--
Paul Terry

David Hansen February 16th 05 12:58 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:19:44 +0000 someone who may be Paul Terry
wrote this:-

Perhaps it could be called Network SouthEast :)

That was my initial thought too.

It remains my thought, along with the thought that I should really
not condemn "influential" "think" tanks on the basis of them finally
coming up with what "bad old" BR came up with decades ago.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

dwb February 16th 05 01:07 PM

Rich Mallard wrote:
A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

Interesting stuff, which superficially I like the sound of. It's
about time this notion that London should somehow be artificially
divorced from its south east context is challenged, and this helps do
just that. IMO, in terms of transport and many other matters, the
London area should be managed as an integral part of the south east
of England, not separated out into an artificial region, with the
surrounding area divided between two further administrative regions -
east and south east.

Rich

Er... aren't TfL suggesting the opposite though? ie they want control of the
main line railways that are in the TfL area.

It's going to an interesting few months as they start their various power
plays on the TOC's to get them to share their revenue etc etc.

Pete Fenelon February 16th 05 02:31 PM

In uk.railway Paul Terry wrote:

Perhaps it could be called Network SouthEast :)

Damn, I was just about to post that ;)

pete
--
"there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

John Rowland February 16th 05 04:29 PM

"Pete Fenelon" wrote in message
In uk.railway Paul Terry wrote:

Perhaps it could be called Network SouthEast :)

Damn, I was just about to post that ;)

Damn, I was just about to post *that*.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

David Boothroyd February 16th 05 05:51 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

In article ,
"Rich Mallard" wrote:

A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

Interesting stuff, which superficially I like the sound of. It's about time
this notion that London should somehow be artificially divorced from its
south east context is challenged, and this helps do just that.

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in north-west Kent,
south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,

John Rowland February 16th 05 06:16 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rich Mallard" wrote:

A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in
north-west Kent, south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

Since it would diminish their power, this is unsurprising. But it might not
go down like a lead balloon with the voters of those areas, which is what
really matters.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Colin February 16th 05 09:49 PM

"Rich Mallard" wrote:

A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in
north-west Kent, south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

Since it would diminish their power, this is unsurprising. But it might
not
go down like a lead balloon with the voters of those areas, which is what
really matters.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

From the point of view of purely 'running a railway', divorced from the
reality of politics, yes the return of NSE may make sense.

However, TfL is the PTE for Greater London, subsidised by the residents of
Greater London and managed by the elected representatives of the residents
of Greater London. TfL as a single body wants to integrate all forms of
transport within Greater London. This provides several benefits for the
people of Greater London (Ticketing, Accountability, similar standards for
all GLA council tax payers whether they are north or south of the river
etc.).

If we, as GLA Council Tax Payers are prepared to pay for good public
transport services, why shouldn't we be able to have some control over
stations and services within our area?

It would be impossible to exert co-ordinated political control over a
Greater South East rail body in the same way as is possible in the GLA.
You would have continual political fighting between the labour suburbs and
Tory shires. And the Tory Shires wouldn't want their Council Taxes raised to
pay a share equal to that paid by GLA residents (when so many people out
there are quite happy with their private vehicles).

The current level of subsidies show that (for the forseeable future) you
cannot run a railway without vast sums of public subsidy. The price to pay
for that is 'political control / public accountability'. And if it's a case
of the railways or local government changing its structure to fit reality,
it's the railways that are going to have to adapt.

Colin

Neil Williams February 16th 05 10:36 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:49:12 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

It would be impossible to exert co-ordinated political control over a
Greater South East rail body in the same way as is possible in the GLA.
You would have continual political fighting between the labour suburbs and
Tory shires. And the Tory Shires wouldn't want their Council Taxes raised to
pay a share equal to that paid by GLA residents (when so many people out
there are quite happy with their private vehicles).

It's not so much the "Tory Shires" wanting their cars, rather that the
railway in the South East is largely geared up towards getting people
to London, and therefore is irrelevant to most other journeys, which
will either be by bus or more likely by car.

Public transport in Bucks, for example, is appalling outside the
towns, and middling to mediocre within them. If a South East PTE was
to be set up, for want of a better term, it would almost certainly be
London-centric. There would therefore be, from what I can see, an
increase in local tax for little local benefit.

Mind you, bringing back Network SouthEast, so long as it wasn't
accompanied by massive increases in council tax, wouldn't be
particularly unwelcome, and I don't see why it would be incompatible
with TfL taking on revenue risk for local services around London in
the same way as Merseytravel taking on revenue risk[1] for their
sponsored PTE services didn't affect adversely the fact that many of
their services run outside their boundaries.

[1] Which they've now relinquished to SercoNed, as I recall.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Aidan Stanger February 17th 05 02:43 AM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

John Rowland wrote:
"Pete Fenelon" wrote...
In uk.railway Paul Terry wrote:

Perhaps it could be called Network SouthEast :)

Damn, I was just about to post that ;)

Damn, I was just about to post *that*.

AOL

Rich Mallard February 17th 05 01:00 PM

"Rich Mallard" wrote:

A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

Interesting stuff, which superficially I like the sound of. It's about
time
this notion that London should somehow be artificially divorced from its
south east context is challenged, and this helps do just that.

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in north-west Kent,
south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

It has? I'm slightly surprised because if this doesn't happen, TfL may well
encroach on their area anyway with the expanded "London Rail" area (and
they'll have even less control I would have thought...) Better to have a
Greater South East authority in control of rail rather than the
central-London dominated TfL, from their PoV surely?

Rich

Rich Mallard February 17th 05 01:14 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

"Colin" wrote in message

From the point of view of purely 'running a railway', divorced from the
reality of politics, yes the return of NSE may make sense.

Agreed.

However, TfL is the PTE for Greater London, subsidised by the residents of
Greater London and managed by the elected representatives of the residents
of Greater London.

Not sure about that. TfL is directly accountable to the Mayor as I
understand it, who is then supposedly "scrutinised" by those elected reps.
I don't think TfL is particularly constrained by the assembly.

TfL as a single body wants to integrate all forms of transport within
Greater London. This provides several benefits for the people of Greater
London (Ticketing, Accountability, similar standards for all GLA council
tax payers whether they are north or south of the river etc.).

But the trouble is Greater London, in transport terms amongst others, is an
artificial cut-out of the South East of England. I don't think it makes
sense to isolate the area in this way. I am also not convinced that they
are doing enough in their existing area (partricularly fringe boroughs like
Bromley, Bexley, Havering...) let alone expanding their remit over rail.

If we, as GLA Council Tax Payers are prepared to pay for good public
transport services, why shouldn't we be able to have some control over
stations and services within our area?

We should, via a comprehensive South East body?

It would be impossible to exert co-ordinated political control over a
Greater South East rail body in the same way as is possible in the GLA.

That could be a good or bad thing. Wait until Ken Livingstone steps down,
and one day there will be a Tory mayor. Everyone seems to think Greater
London = Ken Livingstone = progressive transport policies. But this won't
always be the case (and I think a lot of the pro-"GLA model" people will
realise what they've created when this happens).

You would have continual political fighting between the labour suburbs and
Tory shires. And the Tory Shires wouldn't want their Council Taxes raised
to pay a share equal to that paid by GLA residents (when so many people
out there are quite happy with their private vehicles).

The divide you talk already exists in the GL area itself I would argue.
From my local PoV, the Tory shires really start at Bexley & Bromley, and
extend out to Kent.

The current level of subsidies show that (for the forseeable future) you
cannot run a railway without vast sums of public subsidy. The price to pay
for that is 'political control / public accountability'. And if it's a
case of the railways or local government changing its structure to fit
reality, it's the railways that are going to have to adapt.

Well, I disagree with the "Greater London" local government structure at is,
so maybe it should be the other way around!

Rich

Ian Jelf February 17th 05 03:15 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

In message , Rich Mallard
writes
But the trouble is Greater London, in transport terms amongst others,
is an artificial cut-out of the South East of England.

Indeed it is.

But that applies to any territorial authority; there will always be a
boundary *somewhere* and it will always throw up anomalies. Ewe see
this now with borderline cases such as Romford, Croydon, Dartford and
Watford.

If we create a Greater South East body, exactly how far would it
stretch? Would Luton be included? How about Oxford? Or Chelmsford?
Or Brighton? All of these places are recognisable at the end of a
"commuter line" [1] but making them part of a Greater Greater London [2]
would throw up a hornets nest of its own problems.

For the record, I feel that Greater London probably ought to include
Dartford and Watford but little more. It would be interesting to see a
map of the boundary of London's Green belt (I've never seen such an
animal, at least not in detail). That *ought* to be a good GLA area
boundary. But these things are always arbitrary and one has only to
look at the recent thread concerning whether places are "London" or
"Kent" or "Essex" to see what this throws up in terms of local
allegiances.

[1] In the widest sense of the word

[2] So to speak

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Dave Arquati February 17th 05 04:40 PM

"Rich Mallard" wrote:

A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

Interesting stuff, which superficially I like the sound of. It's about
time
this notion that London should somehow be artificially divorced from its
south east context is challenged, and this helps do just that.

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in north-west Kent,
south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

It has? I'm slightly surprised because if this doesn't happen, TfL may well
encroach on their area anyway with the expanded "London Rail" area (and
they'll have even less control I would have thought...) Better to have a
Greater South East authority in control of rail rather than the
central-London dominated TfL, from their PoV surely?

It probably makes little difference for the rail network, as it is
highly centred on London, with the minor exceptions of such animals as
Gatwick - Tonbridge, Ashford - Hastings etc.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Colin February 17th 05 07:07 PM

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in north-west Kent,
south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

It has? I'm slightly surprised because if this doesn't happen, TfL may
well encroach on their area anyway with the expanded "London Rail" area
(and they'll have even less control I would have thought...) Better to
have a Greater South East authority in control of rail rather than the
central-London dominated TfL, from their PoV surely?

It probably makes little difference for the rail network, as it is highly
centred on London, with the minor exceptions of such animals as Gatwick -
Tonbridge, Ashford - Hastings etc.

Indeed. London is the train journey destination / starting point for the
majority of people over a large area of the south east.

TfL have suggested a 'London Rail' area partly based upon the current 'Inner
Suburban' services, and data that shows (on a ward-by-ward basis) the number
of people who commute to London every day for work reasons.

It is bigger than London, but certainly not as big as NSE.

See Page 9 in this presentation:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/downloads...-Conf-2004.pdf

Colin

Tony Polson February 17th 05 09:06 PM

Ian Jelf wrote:

If we create a Greater South East body, exactly how far would it
stretch? Would Luton be included? How about Oxford? Or Chelmsford?
Or Brighton? All of these places are recognisable at the end of a
"commuter line" [1] but making them part of a Greater Greater London [2]
would throw up a hornets nest of its own problems.

Look no further than the boundaries of the 1980s Network SouthEast.

Tony

Tony Polson February 17th 05 09:09 PM

Dave Arquati wrote:

It probably makes little difference for the rail network, as it is
highly centred on London, with the minor exceptions of such animals as
Gatwick - Tonbridge, Ashford - Hastings etc.

It makes a lot of difference when you consider that a substantial
proportion of commuters using these "highly centred on London"
services actually live outside the capital and have no representatives
on the GLA and no say in the election of the Mayor.

No taxation without representation ...

Tony

Theo Markettos February 17th 05 09:11 PM

In uk.railway Ian Jelf wrote:
If we create a Greater South East body, exactly how far would it
stretch? Would Luton be included? How about Oxford? Or Chelmsford?
Or Brighton? All of these places are recognisable at the end of a
"commuter line" [1] but making them part of a Greater Greater London [2]
would throw up a hornets nest of its own problems.

One thing that's puzzled me. Why was the NSE boundary set the way it was?
So we have all of BR(SR), fine, which I suppose drags in Exeter though
that's a bit of a strange inclusion. We have IC lines up to just before the
first(ish) major station (Leamington, Northampton, Huntingdon) so you can't
get an IC train to get there. But why King's Lynn and not Norwich (DMU vs
IC?), and what about the rest of East Anglia? Why so little of BR(WR)?

Theo

Dave Arquati February 17th 05 09:43 PM

Tony Polson wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

It probably makes little difference for the rail network, as it is
highly centred on London, with the minor exceptions of such animals as
Gatwick - Tonbridge, Ashford - Hastings etc.

It makes a lot of difference when you consider that a substantial
proportion of commuters using these "highly centred on London"
services actually live outside the capital and have no representatives
on the GLA and no say in the election of the Mayor.

No taxation without representation ...

Someone said it would be better to have a SE rail authority rather than
a "central London dominated" TfL - but since the rail network is central
London dominated, from that point of view, there isn't much of a
difference, as a SE rail authority would be London-dominated anyway.

It was theoretical anyway; I wouldn't advocate giving the whole of NSE
to TfL. I do think it would make more sense for them to have greater
control over inner suburban services though, even if those do stray
outside the GLA boundary - the idea is to make sure that transport into
London is co-ordinated properly.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Ian Jelf February 17th 05 09:49 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

In message , Tony Polson
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

If we create a Greater South East body, exactly how far would it
stretch? Would Luton be included? How about Oxford? Or Chelmsford?
Or Brighton? All of these places are recognisable at the end of a
"commuter line" [1] but making them part of a Greater Greater London [2]
would throw up a hornets nest of its own problems.

Look no further than the boundaries of the 1980s Network SouthEast.

Didn't that get to Exeter, though?!

Graeme Wall February 17th 05 10:08 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

In message
Tony Polson wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

It probably makes little difference for the rail network, as it is
highly centred on London, with the minor exceptions of such animals as
Gatwick - Tonbridge, Ashford - Hastings etc.

It makes a lot of difference when you consider that a substantial
proportion of commuters using these "highly centred on London"
services actually live outside the capital and have no representatives
on the GLA and no say in the election of the Mayor.

No taxation without representation ...

Ang on a mo' while I chuck a VEP into the harbour...

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Tony Polson February 18th 05 11:00 AM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tony Polson
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

If we create a Greater South East body, exactly how far would it
stretch? Would Luton be included? How about Oxford? Or Chelmsford?
Or Brighton? All of these places are recognisable at the end of a
"commuter line" [1] but making them part of a Greater Greater London [2]
would throw up a hornets nest of its own problems.

Look no further than the boundaries of the 1980s Network SouthEast.

Didn't that get to Exeter, though?!

Yes, but only for sound operational reasons.

You couldn't sensibly operate two separate services (commuter/Inter
City) over the one route in NSE days. Maybe it could be done now?

Tony

Tony Polson February 18th 05 11:11 AM

Dave Arquati wrote:

Tony Polson wrote:
It makes a lot of difference when you consider that a substantial
proportion of commuters using these "highly centred on London"
services actually live outside the capital and have no representatives
on the GLA and no say in the election of the Mayor.

No taxation without representation ...

Someone said it would be better to have a SE rail authority rather than
a "central London dominated" TfL - but since the rail network is central
London dominated, from that point of view, there isn't much of a
difference, as a SE rail authority would be London-dominated anyway.

I'm sorry, you seem to have completely missed my point.

The rail services might appear "central London dominated" but the
people using them are most certainly NOT. It would be quite
inappropriate to give control of these services to TfL when such a
substantial proportion of people using them live and vote (please note
that word) outside London. The fact that their morning commute
terminates in central London doesn't mean that they are in any sense
adequately represented by TfL or the Office of the Mayor, and it would
not be realistic to suggest that they could be.

It was theoretical anyway; I wouldn't advocate giving the whole of NSE
to TfL. I do think it would make more sense for them to have greater
control over inner suburban services though, even if those do stray
outside the GLA boundary - the idea is to make sure that transport into
London is co-ordinated properly.

I'm sure we can all agree on that. The point is, however, that people
served by these services who live outside London are not represented
by TfL. They would be poorly served (at best) by any SE Rail body
that was dominated by TfL or the Mayor. On the other hand, they were
well served by Network SouthEast, which (on the whole) successfully
balanced the needs of its passengers in, into and outside of London.

That's why I suggested we need look no further than the boundaries of
Network SouthEast.

Tony

826 February 18th 05 11:12 AM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

This idea will certainly go down like a lead balloon with the John
Redwood's of this World but I believe London could be treated in a
similar fashion to another City which I've just returned from and found
a lot to be impressed with public transport wise. This City wielding
huge economic power over a large swathe of the country and having a
transport infrastructure that was short of the capacity needed to cope
with it's growth and lacked the integration required to encourage the
use of public transport. This is now being addressed by by Central
Government paying for 50% of the capital outlay with the EEC supplying
the other 50%, new buses, trams and trains along with the lines and bus
lanes to facilitate them. The projects all carry the National Flag and
the EEC Stars Symbol alongside each other and a lot of the buses and
rolling stock as well.
Very cheap park and ride schemes ("Speed Parks" they call them to
attract the Jeremy Clarksons) 5 Euros per vehicle plus up to 6
occupants per vehicle to continue in by train or bus. The whole
caboodle meant that I could get from one end of the city to the other
across the suburbs with very little effort and using one day ticket.
The shops and business centres are booming and talking to people living
there it was obvious that they have a great deal of pride in the
network. The surrounding counties recognise this since people choose to
live there and commute into work. The economic hinterland therefore
becomes more prosperous if the central area is better managed transport
wise.
I'm sure some here will know the City. (Clue, Guiness)

Dave Arquati February 18th 05 02:44 PM

Tony Polson wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Tony Polson wrote:

It makes a lot of difference when you consider that a substantial
proportion of commuters using these "highly centred on London"
services actually live outside the capital and have no representatives
on the GLA and no say in the election of the Mayor.

No taxation without representation ...

Someone said it would be better to have a SE rail authority rather than
a "central London dominated" TfL - but since the rail network is central
London dominated, from that point of view, there isn't much of a
difference, as a SE rail authority would be London-dominated anyway.

I'm sorry, you seem to have completely missed my point.

The rail services might appear "central London dominated" but the
people using them are most certainly NOT.

The majority of journeys in the south eastern area are to or from
central London - I'd call that central London dominated.

It would be quite
inappropriate to give control of these services to TfL when such a
substantial proportion of people using them live and vote (please note
that word) outside London. The fact that their morning commute
terminates in central London doesn't mean that they are in any sense
adequately represented by TfL or the Office of the Mayor, and it would
not be realistic to suggest that they could be.

I understand that. However, a "Greater South East Rail Authority" is as
unlikely to be accountable to passengers in the area as TfL-controlled
rail services would be - unless the GSERA proportionally represented the
passengers of the area, taking representatives from each authority
region. If that were the case, it would probably end up being
TfL-dominated anyway.

I was just pointing out that such a rail authority is not necessarily
better than total TfL control - both are probably equally bad for people
outside the GLA area.

It was theoretical anyway; I wouldn't advocate giving the whole of NSE
to TfL. I do think it would make more sense for them to have greater
control over inner suburban services though, even if those do stray
outside the GLA boundary - the idea is to make sure that transport into
London is co-ordinated properly.

I'm sure we can all agree on that. The point is, however, that people
served by these services who live outside London are not represented
by TfL. They would be poorly served (at best) by any SE Rail body
that was dominated by TfL or the Mayor. On the other hand, they were
well served by Network SouthEast, which (on the whole) successfully
balanced the needs of its passengers in, into and outside of London.

That's why I suggested we need look no further than the boundaries of
Network SouthEast.

NSE did have some rather odd boundaries anyway - King's Lynn & Exeter? A
new NSE would also extend to Kidderminster! Boundaries will always be
somewhat arbitrary.

If you introduce three layers of control - TfL inside the GLA, NSE for
the SE area, and "everywhere else" (taking into account other regional
control like Wales, Scotland and the PTEs), then you risk a lot of
bureaucracy.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Chris Tolley February 18th 05 05:39 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:08:07 +0000, Graeme Wall wrote:

Ang on a mo' while I chuck a VEP into the harbour...

LOL!
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/c363683.html
(Thumbnail index to British Electric Multiple Units)

Tony Polson February 18th 05 07:47 PM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

(Charles Ellson) wrote:

In article
"Dave Arquati" writes:

snip
Someone said it would be better to have a SE rail authority rather than
a "central London dominated" TfL - but since the rail network is central
London dominated, from that point of view, there isn't much of a
difference, as a SE rail authority would be London-dominated anyway.

That view only works if you ignore that journeys have two ends, and
allow one part of the area to be the tail that wags the dog.

My point, exactly.

Tony

Dave Arquati February 19th 05 12:57 AM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

Tony Polson wrote:
(Charles Ellson) wrote:

In article
"Dave Arquati" writes:

snip

Someone said it would be better to have a SE rail authority rather than
a "central London dominated" TfL - but since the rail network is central
London dominated, from that point of view, there isn't much of a
difference, as a SE rail authority would be London-dominated anyway.

That view only works if you ignore that journeys have two ends, and
allow one part of the area to be the tail that wags the dog.

My point, exactly.

Journeys have two ends; one end is frequently in central London. How
many journeys start or finish at Victoria versus at Maidstone, or High
Wycombe, or Hatfield? Even if a rail authority proportionally
represented the origins and destinations of all journeys on the South
East rail network, almost half the "seats" would be occupied by
representation of central London; probably over half would be
representatives from inside the GLA, i.e. TfL.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Tony Polson February 19th 05 10:38 AM

Dave Arquati wrote:

Journeys have two ends; one end is frequently in central London. How
many journeys start or finish at Victoria versus at Maidstone, or High
Wycombe, or Hatfield? Even if a rail authority proportionally
represented the origins and destinations of all journeys on the South
East rail network, almost half the "seats" would be occupied by
representation of central London; probably over half would be
representatives from inside the GLA, i.e. TfL.

No doubt you live in London, as well as work there. I don't doubt
your sincerity. Neither do I doubt your self-interest, however.

As someone who lives outside London, used to commute daily over a
period of some years, and now still travels into London regularly, I
have a different view. I fully understand your view, I just don't
happen to agree with it.

I see the need for balance between the interests of people living in
London and those outside London who commute, whereas you want the
interests of Londoners to dominate. I am not asking for the views of
commuters from outside London to dominate, merely for them to be
included in a balanced overview.

Perhaps you should make just a tiny bit more effort to understand
others' views, especially those of people whose personal circumstances
differ from your own.

Tony

Francis Knight February 19th 05 11:24 AM

IPPR suggest "Greater South East" rail body

David Boothroyd wrote:

In article ,
"Rich Mallard" wrote:

A think tank comments:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/press/index.php?release=355

Interesting stuff, which superficially I like the sound of. It's about time
this notion that London should somehow be artificially divorced from its
south east context is challenged, and this helps do just that.

It's gone down like a lead balloon with the councils in north-west Kent,
south-east Essex, south Hertfordshire, etc.

If they were to apply this thinking also to bus services, we'd
return them towards what they were between 1933 and 1969, when
we had the Country Area of LT. Doubt we'd get the RTs and RFs
back though.

Cheers,
Francis K.

--
[Remove Trailing'Z' from mail address to reply.]

Dave Arquati February 19th 05 02:45 PM

Tony Polson wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

[...]

I think you've completely misunderstood my intentions. I never said or
believed that TfL should take over all south eastern rail services!! I
believe that TfL should exercise control over inner surburban services
lying wholly or almost wholly within its remit, such as services to
Watford, Dartford, Chingford, Croydon, Orpington/Sevenoaks, Hampton
Court etc. I do *not* believe that TfL should be given control over
services to Ashford, Cambridge or Southampton for example, as they're a
completely different kettle of fish, and *I understand that*.

You seem to be getting the impression that I'm more self-interested than
I really am. If I were completely self-interested, I wouldn't give a
toss about inner surburban services as I rarely use them.

I was merely being sceptical and playing devil's advocate with regard to
the accountability of a Greater South East rail body mentioned to start
off with. Theoretically, the best representative body for rail services
would be the DfT, controlled by central government to whom we elect
representatives. And look who's taking over control of rail services
shortly!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Tony Polson February 19th 05 06:44 PM

Dave Arquati wrote:

I was merely being sceptical and playing devil's advocate with regard to
the accountability of a Greater South East rail body mentioned to start
off with. Theoretically, the best representative body for rail services
would be the DfT, controlled by central government to whom we elect
representatives. And look who's taking over control of rail services
shortly!

Fair enough. We will leave it at that.

Tony

Colin Rosenstiel February 27th 05 01:59 PM

(Tony Polson) wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:

Look no further than the boundaries of the 1980s Network SouthEast.

Didn't that get to Exeter, though?!

Yes, but only for sound operational reasons.

You couldn't sensibly operate two separate services (commuter/Inter
City) over the one route in NSE days. Maybe it could be done now?

King's Lynn then? It's part of the Cambridge service and that does include
London commuting. We don't want to be run from London though London-like
public transport rules would be an improvement.

While commuters (including part-time ones like me) go one-way, to central
London, tourists go both ways, in large numbers.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

simon February 28th 05 07:54 PM

Colin wrote:
TfL have suggested a 'London Rail' area partly based upon the current

'Inner
Suburban' services, and data that shows (on a ward-by-ward basis) the

number
of people who commute to London every day for work reasons.

It is bigger than London, but certainly not as big as NSE.

See Page 9 in this presentation:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/downloads...-Conf-2004.pdf

Colin

Why does that TfL suggested area cover the blue area (low train share
of commutes) at Aylesbury, but not the red area (high train share of
commutes) in South Essex (lines to Southend and Southminster)? stupid!
Can anyone give a good reason why they haven't included these lines,
because I cannot think of any? Also crossrail would go outside of the
boundary, unless there are plans to reduce it even further - just to
Slough. Ebbsfleet is not on it, and neither is a particually yellow/red
patch around Tonbrige - again any suggestions why TfL don't want to
look after these routes?

Anyway I feel that neither of these destinations are "Inner Suburban".
I note that the WCML route only goes as far as Watford, but the ECML
goes as far as Stevenage. It's not consistant really and that what
annoys me most about the extent of the proposals.

I also laugh that, though it's LU, Chesham station would just be
outside of the area - you'd have thought that they would adjust the
line slightly to cover that.

Simon

Dave Arquati February 28th 05 08:06 PM

simon wrote:
Colin wrote:

[...]

Aylesbury is in it because co-ordination of services to Amersham would
include Chiltern services there, all of which extend to Aylesbury.

South Essex is probably outside because those services serve few
destinations inside the GLA area. Generally the boundary has been set so
that stopping services at GLA stations are included; those stopping
services extend outside the GLA boundary to the places marking the TfL
London Rail boundary.

Anyway I feel that neither of these destinations are "Inner Suburban".
I note that the WCML route only goes as far as Watford, but the ECML
goes as far as Stevenage. It's not consistant really and that what
annoys me most about the extent of the proposals.

I also laugh that, though it's LU, Chesham station would just be
outside of the area - you'd have thought that they would adjust the
line slightly to cover that.

Since this is a London Rail area, Chesham isn't included because it's a
London Underground-only service!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7