London Banter

-   -   Recycling bus number-plates (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2778-recycling-bus-number-plates.html)

Mrs Redboots February 17th 05 08:35 PM

Recycling bus number-plates

I was coming home earlier this evening on a 109, which drew up into a
stop behind a no 50. I was in the front upstairs, and so noticed the
number-plate on the 50, which was "WLT xxx" (can't remember the
numbers). I assume they are recycling numbers from the old
Routemasters?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Rupert Candy February 17th 05 08:52 PM

Mrs Redboots wrote:
I was coming home earlier this evening on a 109, which drew up into a
stop behind a no 50. I was in the front upstairs, and so noticed the
number-plate on the 50, which was "WLT xxx" (can't remember the
numbers). I assume they are recycling numbers from the old
Routemasters?

Yes, this happens quite a lot amongst bus operators - and before they
cascade vehicles out of London they normally re-register any with
'special' numbers (like the ex-Routemaster numbers) so they can re-use
the numbers. That sentence doesn't make much sense, but I'm sure you
can work it out!

Colin McKenzie February 18th 05 09:54 AM

Rupert Candy wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:
I was coming home earlier this evening on a 109, which drew up into a
stop behind a no 50. I was in the front upstairs, and so noticed the
number-plate on the 50, which was "WLT xxx" (can't remember the
numbers). I assume they are recycling numbers from the old
Routemasters?

Yes, this happens quite a lot amongst bus operators - and before they
cascade vehicles out of London they normally re-register any with
'special' numbers (like the ex-Routemaster numbers) so they can re-use
the numbers.

It's been happening for a while with RMs. It was mainly the second
owners that re-registered them. Not many of the RMs returned to London
a couple of years ago still had their original numbers.

Very few non-RMs from pre-63 survived long enough for their owners to
realise the undated numbers were worth keeping.

Colin McKenzie

Mrs Redboots February 18th 05 10:43 AM

Colin McKenzie wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 18 Feb 2005:

Very few non-RMs from pre-63 survived long enough for their owners to
realise the undated numbers were worth keeping.

Wouldn't you have thought that with a number whose letters were "xLT",
and you had bought the bus from London Transport....

Tim Scott February 18th 05 07:34 PM

Recycling bus number-plates

Some of the operators keep the registrations within the company I recall
London General had 188CLT was on an M (not sure which one) and was moved
onto one of the LDPs (though I gather it may have retained it's old
registration). Stagecoach have a few scattered amongst it's other
subsidaries.

Colin Rosenstiel February 21st 05 01:09 AM

Recycling bus number-plates

In article ,
(Mrs Redboots) wrote:

Colin McKenzie wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 18 Feb 2005:

Very few non-RMs from pre-63 survived long enough for their owners to
realise the undated numbers were worth keeping.

Wouldn't you have thought that with a number whose letters were "xLT",
and you had bought the bus from London Transport....

Non-RMs didn't have xLT registrations.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel February 21st 05 01:09 AM

(Tim Scott) wrote:

Some of the operators keep the registrations within the company I recall
London General had 188CLT was on an M (not sure which one) and was moved
onto one of the LDPs (though I gather it may have retained it's old
registration). Stagecoach have a few scattered amongst it's other
subsidaries.

Some of the first generation (Stagecoach) Park and Ride buses in Cambridge
had ex-RM plates. They were changed when they went to Cambridge, i suspect
to hide the fact that they were older than the rest of the fleet they were
joining.

--
Colin Rosenstiel