Old March 2nd 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Terror on the buses (Sidcup)

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
One of my pet peeves is when people confuse hitting children with
disciplining them. Nobody hit anybody at the school I went to, but we
were well-disciplined and there were plenty of sanctions if we *did*
misbehave. Which mostly we didn't..... But some people don't seem to
know how else to discipline a child, and if they can't hit, they don't
discipline, so little dears run wild....

My wife has just retired from a life of teaching. She has no qualms at
all, first and foremost it's the parents, followed by ever lax
discipline, and the mountain of paperwork that has to be done in marking
at home, (that was stopped in schools with the introduction of Baker
days, Inset to you.) and then the planning which now has to be written
down which she used to do from her head equalling another three hours
after she got home each night.
--
Clive.

Old March 2nd 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Aaron Borbora
writes
doing 85 on a motorway - though not looking at the speedo;

Were you guessing?
--
Clive.
Old March 2nd 05, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Clive Coleman" wrote in message
In message , Aaron Borbora
writes
doing 85 on a motorway - though not looking at the speedo;

Were you guessing?
--

No it seemed a bit fast and I looked at the speed. Should have explained it
a bit better.

Aaron

Old March 2nd 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Clive Coleman
writes
In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
I am *not* saying that we should not punish wrongdoers. But we should
apply the appropriate punishment, and only the appropriate punishment,
in a consistent manner.

Tell that to the Magistrate in Devon who sentenced an 80 year old woman
to a fortnight in jail for failure to pay her T.V. licence, then I
might accept your "appropriate punishment".

At 80, wouldn't she have been entitled to a free licence?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 2nd 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Clive Coleman
writes
In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
I am *not* saying that we should not punish wrongdoers. But we should
apply the appropriate punishment, and only the appropriate punishment, in
a consistent manner.

Tell that to the Magistrate in Devon who sentenced an 80 year old woman to
a fortnight in jail for failure to pay her T.V. licence, then I might
accept your "appropriate punishment".

At 80, wouldn't she have been entitled to a free licence?
--

Depends when it was. The free licence was only introduced after 1997 - not
quite sure of when, however.

Aaron

Old March 2nd 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Clive Coleman
writes
In message , Clive D. W.
Feather writes
I am *not* saying that we should not punish wrongdoers. But we
should apply the appropriate punishment, and only the appropriate
punishment, in a consistent manner.

Tell that to the Magistrate in Devon who sentenced an 80 year old
woman to a fortnight in jail for failure to pay her T.V. licence,
then I might accept your "appropriate punishment".

At 80, wouldn't she have been entitled to a free licence?

If you're thinking of Elizabeth Winkfield, it wasn't the TV licence she
was refusing to pay, it was Council Tax. As far as I remember, she was
fined, with the prospect of going to jail if she refused to pay the
fine. Didn't someone pay her tax for her?
--
Richard J.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Richard
J. writes

If you're thinking of Elizabeth Winkfield, it wasn't the TV licence she
was refusing to pay, it was Council Tax. As far as I remember, she was
fined, with the prospect of going to jail if she refused to pay the
fine. Didn't someone pay her tax for her?

Probably either UKIP or Max Clifford, since it later transpired she was
involved with both.

--
Paul Terry