Old March 1st 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Student Transport

We have an overseas student staying for three weeks and he is planning a
day's sightseeing in London tomorrow. Being nearly old enough for an OAP
pass myself I am a bit out of touch with what is available for youngsters.

Just wondered if there are any one-off travel concessions available for them
(he basically wants to have a one-day travelcard). Or is it just annual
passes and that sort of thing that would not be of any use to him?

cheers

Vernon
Crawley

Old March 1st 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Vernon wrote:
We have an overseas student staying for three weeks and he is planning a
day's sightseeing in London tomorrow. Being nearly old enough for an OAP
pass myself I am a bit out of touch with what is available for youngsters.

Just wondered if there are any one-off travel concessions available for them
(he basically wants to have a one-day travelcard). Or is it just annual
passes and that sort of thing that would not be of any use to him?

The only student discounts available in London are on weekly or longer
bus passes and travelcards (only available to those studying in London)
or the Young Person's Railcard discount on all-zone one-day Travelcards.

Neither of these are probably any use to him, especially if it's only a
days' visit. He'd be best off just getting a normal Travelcard; if he
already has a YP Railcard then he can use that to obtain a discount but
there's no point getting one (for £20) if he doesn't already have it.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 1st 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote

The only student discounts available in London are on weekly or longer
bus passes and travelcards (only available to those studying in London)
or the Young Person's Railcard discount on all-zone one-day Travelcards.

Neither of these are probably any use to him, especially if it's only a
days' visit. He'd be best off just getting a normal Travelcard; if he
already has a YP Railcard then he can use that to obtain a discount but
there's no point getting one (for £20) if he doesn't already have it.

--

Thank you Dave. That was what I suspected, but wanted confirmed.

cheers

Vernon

Old March 1st 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:51:46 -0000, "Vernon" wrote:

We have an overseas student staying for three weeks and he is planning a
day's sightseeing in London tomorrow. Being nearly old enough for an OAP
pass myself I am a bit out of touch with what is available for youngsters.

Just wondered if there are any one-off travel concessions available for them
(he basically wants to have a one-day travelcard). Or is it just annual
passes and that sort of thing that would not be of any use to him?

There are no student concessions for overseas students,

Generally available only full-time students at London institutions.
See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...cards/18.shtml

--
Cheers,

Jason.