London Banter

-   -   Justin Howes 1963-2005 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2808-justin-howes-1963-2005-a.html)

Richard J. March 1st 05 10:43 PM

Justin Howes 1963-2005

Many people on this newsgroup are familiar with the Underground typeface
designed by Edward Johnston in 1916 (and his Omnibus typefaces of a few
years later). Justin Howes wrote an excellent book* about these in
2000, and gave a talk to LURS in June 2002.

I was shocked and saddened this morning to read his obituary in The
Times. He died of a heart attack at the age of only 41 on 21 February
2005.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...5298_1,00.html (2 pages)

* Johnston's Underground Type by Justin Howes
Capital Transport Publishing
ISBN 1854142313

--
Richard J.

Kat March 1st 05 11:08 PM

Justin Howes 1963-2005

Richard J. wrote:
Many people on this newsgroup are familiar with the Underground typeface
designed by Edward Johnston in 1916 (and his Omnibus typefaces of a few
years later). Justin Howes wrote an excellent book* about these in
2000, and gave a talk to LURS in June 2002.

I was shocked and saddened this morning to read his obituary in The
Times. He died of a heart attack at the age of only 41 on 21 February
2005.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...5298_1,00.html (2 pages)

* Johnston's Underground Type by Justin Howes
Capital Transport Publishing
ISBN 1854142313

Indeed I do remember the interesting talk he gave at LURS and the sweet
note he put in the copy of his book that I bought there.
How very sad that such a talented man should die at such a young age.
--
Kat