Old March 3rd 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default H1?

Does anyone remember the H1? It was a flat fare bus in the sixties
running through Harrow and Weldstone though I forget it's start and
termination points. It must have been one of the first "one person
operated" buses which needed a coin to allow the entry turnstile to
turn.
--
Clive.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:46:00 +0000, Clive Coleman
wrote:

Does anyone remember the H1? It was a flat fare bus in the sixties
running through Harrow and Weldstone though I forget it's start and
termination points. It must have been one of the first "one person
operated" buses which needed a coin to allow the entry turnstile to
turn.

It ran from Northwick Park to South Harrow in 1979, according to my
bus map of that date.

I think it replaced the RLH-operated 230. In fact I've just checked at
http://www.timebus.co.uk/rlh/route230/ and I was right!

Old March 3rd 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone remember the H1? It was a flat fare bus in the sixties

running through Harrow and Weldstone though I forget it's start and
termination points. It must have been one of the first "one person

operated" buses which needed a coin to allow the entry turnstile to
turn.

It ran from Northwick Park to South Harrow in 1979, according to my
bus map of that date.

I think it replaced the RLH-operated 230. In fact I've just checked

at
http://www.timebus.co.uk/rlh/route230/ and I was right!

I think it was in the 1970's that the H1 took over from the 230. I
think the H1 stood for Harrow 1st as it was the first one man bus in
the area.
I can remember the cardboards strips that were torn off and placed in
the plastic box to allow the turnstile to move. It was hoped it would
speed up the operation, didn't last too long though. Fares were 2p for
a child and 3p for an adult.
Bring back the 230 I say!

Burkey

Old March 3rd 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
burkey writes
I think it was in the 1970's

It must have been before this as I left the Harrow district in 1970 and
they were well established, especially if you didn't have the right coin
and saw one coming up the road, frequent obscenities were usual in the
queue.
--
Clive.

Old March 4th 05, 01:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Coleman" wrote in message

Does anyone remember the H1? It was a flat fare
bus in the sixties running through Harrow and
Weldstone though I forget it's start and
termination points.

It still runs, it's called the H10 now. I don't know why the name change.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 4th 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" typed

"Clive Coleman" wrote in message

Does anyone remember the H1? It was a flat fare
bus in the sixties running through Harrow and
Weldstone though I forget it's start and
termination points.

It still runs, it's called the H10 now. I don't know why the name change.

Unless it's running the other way, when it's the H9...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 4th 05, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The change originally was a straight change for the 230 so went from
Northwick Park Station to Raynes Lane Station operated by MB's (I believe,
if not, they were the 36 footers which made for fun turning left off
Kenton Road into Kenton Lane - I believe they had to make some changes to
the road width to allow for this).

The fare was, again if I remember correctly, 3d for kids and 6d for adults
but I am happy to be proven correct after the subsequent comments herein

Bob

p.s. I agree, bring back the 230 RLH or equivalent

In article .com,

Old March 4th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Because it is now a bread van!

Burkey

Old March 4th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The 209 has changed its route number as well!
It used to run from Northwick Park to Rayners Lane but via Belmont
Circle and Harrow Weald IIRC.

Burkey