London Banter

-   -   Pay & Display Machines (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2846-pay-display-machines.html)

Joe March 12th 05 08:07 PM

Pay & Display Machines

At onStreet Pay & Display machines, nearly all of the parking attendants
press some buttons on the front of them, wait about 5 seconds then walk
away. Does anyone know what buttons they are pressing & why they do it?
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. March 12th 05 08:23 PM

Pay & Display Machines

Joe wrote:

At onStreet Pay & Display machines, nearly all of the parking attendants
press some buttons on the front of them, wait about 5 seconds then walk
away. Does anyone know what buttons they are pressing & why they do it?

Prove they've been there? Something like the old key stations for night
watchmen?

Taz March 12th 05 08:52 PM

Pay & Display Machines

"Joe" wrote in message
At onStreet Pay & Display machines, nearly all of the parking attendants
press some buttons on the front of them, wait about 5 seconds then walk
away. Does anyone know what buttons they are pressing & why they do it?
--

They are resetting the time to make all previously bought tickets expired.

Alistair J Murray March 13th 05 01:35 AM

Pay & Display Machines

Joe wrote:
At onStreet Pay & Display machines, nearly all of the parking attendants
press some buttons on the front of them, wait about 5 seconds then walk
away. Does anyone know what buttons they are pressing & why they do it?

Nope.

Why not film them and let us know :)

Trade Oil in €

tim March 14th 05 01:49 PM

Pay & Display Machines

"HVB" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:07:08 +0000, Joe
wrote:

At onStreet Pay & Display machines, nearly all of the parking attendants
press some buttons on the front of them, wait about 5 seconds then walk
away. Does anyone know what buttons they are pressing & why they do it?

The coin return button in the hope of getting some small change
returned? (No chance!)

A friend's kid used to do this at every machine he saw.
He apparently amassed a quite substantial increase in his
pocket money this way.

tim

JohnB March 14th 05 05:04 PM

Pay & Display Machines

tim wrote:

The coin return button in the hope of getting some small change
returned? (No chance!)

A friend's kid used to do this at every machine he saw.
He apparently amassed a quite substantial increase in his
pocket money this way.

Wasn't the idea to stick some paper or a rag up the coin exit so it
stopped refunds being returned, then come back to the machine later,
remove the 'plug' and gather one's booty.

Not that i would ever condone such irresponsible behaviour.

Someone told me. Honest.

John B

[email protected] March 14th 05 05:46 PM

Pay & Display Machines

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:04:27 +0000, JohnB wrote:

Wasn't the idea to stick some paper or a rag up the coin exit so it
stopped refunds being returned, then come back to the machine later,
remove the 'plug' and gather one's booty.

Not that i would ever condone such irresponsible behaviour.

I seem to recall that BT had this problem with some of their payphones
back in the 1980s.

There was a particular type of pay phone that had a plastic flap that
could be jammed up to trap any returned money. BT altered the design
of some of the flaps on the pay phones.

Graham

tim March 15th 05 01:56 PM

Pay & Display Machines

"HVB" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:49:40 +0100, "tim" wrote:

"HVB" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:07:08 +0000, Joe wrote:

At onStreet Pay & Display machines, nearly all of the parking attendants
press some buttons on the front of them, wait about 5 seconds then walk
away. Does anyone know what buttons they are pressing & why they do it?

The coin return button in the hope of getting some small change
returned? (No chance!)

A friend's kid used to do this at every machine he saw.
He apparently amassed a quite substantial increase in his
pocket money this way.

I don't remember the last time I saw a P&D machine that gave change...
or any extra time for overpayment. We're being diddled.

I agree that you don't usually get change (the hopper is just
for rejected coins), but IME it's quite common to get extra time
for the overpayment

tim

Richard March 15th 05 10:38 PM

Pay & Display Machines

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:56:55 +0100, "tim"
wrote:
I agree that you don't usually get change (the hopper is just
for rejected coins), but IME it's quite common to get extra time
for the overpayment

Works here (Kingston borough). A while ago, credit unused in the
evening would roll over to the next morning as well, but that no
longer happens. I can only think of one reason for that - to collect
more money, with the extra benefit of a few penalties for people who
didn't get to the car park before the chargeable period starts.

Richard.

Neil Williams March 16th 05 06:11 AM

Pay & Display Machines

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:38:59 +0000,
(Richard) wrote:

Works here (Kingston borough). A while ago, credit unused in the
evening would roll over to the next morning as well, but that no
longer happens. I can only think of one reason for that - to collect
more money, with the extra benefit of a few penalties for people who
didn't get to the car park before the chargeable period starts.

Quite. AFAIAC, all parking machines in car parks that aren't
physically locked at night should allow rolling over to the next day,
if only because it means that people who have decided to have a drink
can happily leave their car until the next day.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain