London Banter

-   -   For Boltar About The EOR. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2847-boltar-about-eor.html)

EorJames March 13th 05 05:47 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

Right,
The line is to be, put back to its original GER days.
This ran steam, which we are getting in the summer.
Now to electrify the line would costs thousands. Somthing we the
society or owners can't afford to do it. As well it's too dangerous
to run electrification on the line for the general public.
Really people don't want to go on an old LU train but would rather go
on a steam train. I do believe, that there is not one preserved line in
the country, that uses electrified lines.
The line has its good things, but at the moment is a nice round trip,
which is also used by the public, to get from North Weald to Ongar
viser-verser.
So you don't like fine don't come down. But in a way it's nice to
see the line running anyway as it was closed for ten years.
Regards
James

Steve Fitzgerald March 13th 05 07:15 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

In message .com,
EorJames writes

Really people don't want to go on an old LU train but would rather go
on a steam train.

And where do you glean this little gem from? I assume you have some
proper research on this and not just the say so of a few steam
enthusiasts.

I for one would love to be able to ride on an old tube train on a
preserved line - steam lines are 10 a penny these days.

Chris Tolley March 13th 05 10:18 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

On 13 Mar 2005 10:47:17 -0800, EorJames wrote:

Really people don't want to go on an old LU train but would rather go
on a steam train. I do believe, that there is not one preserved line in
the country, that uses electrified lines.

And because of that, it's about the one thing that's likely to stir me
to make the trip to Epping from Cheshire. There's plenty of electric
stock floating around, and none of it can run as was intended at
present.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10586670.html
(150 249's driver getting permission to contiue to Pembroke Dock, 1999)

Spyke March 13th 05 10:36 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

In message , Steve Fitzgerald
] writes
In message .com,
EorJames writes

Really people don't want to go on an old LU train but would rather go
on a steam train.

And where do you glean this little gem from? I assume you have some
proper research on this and not just the say so of a few steam
enthusiasts.

I for one would love to be able to ride on an old tube train on a
preserved line - steam lines are 10 a penny these days.

I, for one, love old tube trains. I greatly enjoyed travelling around on
the 38 stock on the IOW when I was over there last summer, just as much
as travelling on the steam railway.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. Replace the bit before the

Boltar March 14th 05 11:13 AM

For Boltar About The EOR.

EorJames wrote:
Right,
The line is to be, put back to its original GER days.
This ran steam, which we are getting in the summer.

Fair enough. I shall pay another visit when this happens.

Now to electrify the line would costs thousands. Somthing we the
society or owners can't afford to do it. As well it's too dangerous

Well you shouldn't have de-electrified it in the first place then
should
you!

to run electrification on the line for the general public.

I don't see why it would be too dangerous. Would people start running
around on the track just because the lines now run by EOR and not LU?

Really people don't want to go on an old LU train but would rather go
on a steam train. I do believe, that there is not one preserved line

in
the country, that uses electrified lines.

Others have answered that point.

B2003

Darren March 14th 05 11:55 AM

For Boltar About The EOR.

Boltar wrote:
Well you shouldn't have de-electrified it in the first place then
should you!
I don't see why it would be too dangerous. Would people start running
around on the track just because the lines now run by EOR and not LU?

Surely its more to do with Public Liability Insurance than anything?

To the insurance company there's probably a perception that because its
not LUL or some large TOC operating the services then they may be a
little slacker on such issues.

--
Darren

Sudbury Branch Line website: http://www.sudbury-branchline.co.uk
http://photos.darrenjohnson.co.uk

Paul Corfield March 14th 05 04:32 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:15:17 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

I for one would love to be able to ride on an old tube train on a
preserved line -

but but I thought you drove 73 stock on the Piccadilly Line? Isn't that
the same thing? ;-)

--
Paul C

Robin Mayes March 14th 05 05:00 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

wrote:

I for one would love to be able to ride on an old tube train on a
preserved line -

but but I thought you drove 73 stock on the Piccadilly Line? Isn't that
the same thing? ;-)

Oh, that's modern stuff! A TEP, luxury! Real men drive A stock trains on
lines where the apprentices are still afraid ;-)

Bring back the Standard stock!

John Rowland March 15th 05 11:53 AM

For Boltar About The EOR.

"EorJames" wrote in message
oups.com...

I do believe, that there is not one preserved line in
the country, that uses electrified lines.

Volks in Brighton.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Boltar March 15th 05 12:15 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

John Rowland wrote:
"EorJames" wrote in message
oups.com...

I do believe, that there is not one preserved line in
the country, that uses electrified lines.

Volks in Brighton.

Thats not really preserved tho is it. It was never anything more
than pleasure beach attraction in the first place.

B2003

Steve Fitzgerald March 15th 05 02:23 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I for one would love to be able to ride on an old tube train on a
preserved line -

but but I thought you drove 73 stock on the Piccadilly Line? Isn't that
the same thing? ;-)

Well, if someone was to buy us some new ones, I would be happy to drive
them.

Steve Dulieu March 17th 05 01:09 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

wrote:

Oh, that's modern stuff! A TEP, luxury! Real men drive A stock trains on
lines where the apprentices are still afraid ;-)

Errr, 73ts haven't had TEPs for many years now. Replaced 'em all with a
rather nasty bit of kit called a CDU...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Boltar March 17th 05 04:22 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

]
wrote:

Oh, that's modern stuff! A TEP, luxury! Real men drive A stock

trains on
lines where the apprentices are still afraid ;-)

Errr, 73ts haven't had TEPs for many years now. Replaced 'em all with

rather nasty bit of kit called a CDU...

What are TEPs and CDUs?

B2003

Chris Tolley March 18th 05 03:36 AM

REPOST: For Boltar About The EOR.

On 17 Mar 2005 16:09:06 GMT, John Rowland wrote:

"EorJames" wrote in message
oups.com...

I do believe, that there is not one preserved line in
the country, that uses electrified lines.

Volks in Brighton.

That's already been mentioned, and argued about. However, there is teh
Crich tramway Museum which is electrified...

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12199121.html
(73 142 in large logo blue on an engineeer's train at Basingstoke, 1985)

[email protected] March 18th 05 12:23 PM

REPOST: For Boltar About The EOR.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:36:16 +0000, Chris Tolley
wrote:

On 17 Mar 2005 16:09:06 GMT, John Rowland wrote:

"EorJames" wrote in message
oups.com...

I do believe, that there is not one preserved line in
the country, that uses electrified lines.

Volks in Brighton.

That's already been mentioned, and argued about. However, there is teh
Crich tramway Museum which is electrified...

.... with overhead wires, not third rail And it isn't a preserved
line, it's in a former quarry. There are lots of museums with overhead
wires -tramway and trolleybus.

Paul

Christine. March 18th 05 05:03 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

In message , Steve
Dulieu writes
Oh, that's modern stuff! A TEP, luxury! Real men drive A stock trains on
lines where the apprentices are still afraid ;-)

Errr, 73ts haven't had TEPs for many years now. Replaced 'em all with a
rather nasty bit of kit called a CDU...
--

Sorry about my ignorance but what is a "Real Man" and what's so
different to driving A60 stock to driving 38 or 62 stock with the flag

Steve Dulieu March 18th 05 09:09 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

"Christine." wrote in message
In message , Steve
Dulieu writes
Oh, that's modern stuff! A TEP, luxury! Real men drive A stock trains

on
lines where the apprentices are still afraid ;-)

Errr, 73ts haven't had TEPs for many years now. Replaced 'em all with a
rather nasty bit of kit called a CDU...
--

Sorry about my ignorance but what is a "Real Man" and what's so
different to driving A60 stock to driving 38 or 62 stock with the flag
up? You can also help my education by telling me what a TEP and a CDU
is? Thank you.

TEP = Train Equipment Panel
CDU = Cab Display Unit

Both perform essentially the same task, allow the driver to switch off
various bits of train equipment, but the TEP gave a much greater degree of
control. It had a button to cut out the rheo for one thing.

Steve Fitzgerald March 18th 05 11:16 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes

TEP = Train Equipment Panel
CDU = Cab Display Unit

Both perform essentially the same task, allow the driver to switch off
various bits of train equipment, but the TEP gave a much greater degree of
control. It had a button to cut out the rheo for one thing.

They still do, if you know where to find it, although it's not on the
CDU...

Christine. March 19th 05 01:30 AM

For Boltar About The EOR.

In message , Steve Dulieu

Sorry about my ignorance but what is a "Real Man" and what's so
different to driving A60 stock to driving 38 or 62 stock with the flag
up? You can also help my education by telling me what a TEP and a CDU
is? Thank you.

TEP = Train Equipment Panel
CDU = Cab Display Unit

Both perform essentially the same task, allow the driver to switch off
various bits of train equipment, but the TEP gave a much greater degree
of control. It had a button to cut out the rheo for one thing.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

A60 stock used on the top of the met, where I doubt train stopping
positions were that critical. 38 stock on the Northern line required a
drivers cab stop over the diamond, with both the front and back of the
train in the tunnel, (don't nit pick about Highgate.). So I ask a
second time, what's this stuff about real men and the A 60 stock?
--
Christine.

John Rowland March 19th 05 02:06 AM

For Boltar About The EOR.

"Christine." wrote in message

Thank you.
--
Clive.

Had a sex change?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Chris Tolley March 19th 05 02:43 AM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:23:03 GMT, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:36:16 +0000, Chris Tolley
That's already been mentioned, and argued about. However, there is the
Crich tramway Museum which is electrified...

... with overhead wires, not third rail And it isn't a preserved
line, it's in a former quarry. There are lots of museums with overhead
wires -tramway and trolleybus.

Well, of course. ;-)

Anyway, you say "lots" of others. I can think of Beamish, but then I run
out of ideas. What do you have in mind?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683826.html
(Contrasting Northern Spirit colours: 156 487 v 158 737, Halifax, 2000)

Christine. March 19th 05 09:01 AM

For Boltar About The EOR.

In message , John Rowland
writes
Had a sex change?

How did you know that?
--
Clive.

[email protected] March 19th 05 11:17 AM

REPOST: For Boltar About The EOR.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:43:05 +0000, Chris Tolley
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:23:03 GMT, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:36:16 +0000, Chris Tolley
That's already been mentioned, and argued about. However, there is the
Crich tramway Museum which is electrified...

... with overhead wires, not third rail And it isn't a preserved
line, it's in a former quarry. There are lots of museums with overhead
wires -tramway and trolleybus.

Well, of course. ;-)

Anyway, you say "lots" of others. I can think of Beamish, but then I run
out of ideas. What do you have in mind?

Off the top of my head,,, The Black Country Museum, Sandtoft
Trolleybus Museum, East Anglia Transport Museum, the Birkenhead
tramway system.

Actually you and I are both slipping OT as none of these are strictly
preserved lines, but working trolleybus and tram operations that
commenced after conventional 600V DC operation stopped. There are
others that have kept going primarily as tourist attractions
(enthusiasts are never able to operate preserved transport without
non-enthusiast tourist income). Despite lots of wonderful preserved
lines, I can only think of two that operate ordinary passenger
services... Blackpool and ISTR some Kent/Sussex rail lines do school
services.

My fire extinguishers are ready for the flames!

Paul

Mrs Redboots March 19th 05 01:46 PM

Chris Tolley wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 19 Mar 2005:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:23:03 GMT, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:36:16 +0000, Chris Tolley
That's already been mentioned, and argued about. However, there is the
Crich tramway Museum which is electrified...

... with overhead wires, not third rail And it isn't a preserved
line, it's in a former quarry. There are lots of museums with overhead
wires -tramway and trolleybus.

Well, of course. ;-)

Anyway, you say "lots" of others. I can think of Beamish, but then I run
out of ideas. What do you have in mind?

Amberley
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Paul Terry March 19th 05 06:22 PM

REPOST: For Boltar About The EOR.

In message ,
" writes

Off the top of my head,,, The Black Country Museum, Sandtoft
Trolleybus Museum, East Anglia Transport Museum, the Birkenhead
tramway system.

But AFAIR none of these use third rail electrification, which is the
point at issue.

--
Paul Terry

Chris Tolley March 19th 05 08:04 PM

REPOST: For Boltar About The EOR.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:46:57 +0000, Mrs Redboots wrote:
Amberley

I'd forgotten that one.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632831.html
(33 015 having a lovely time the day it went to Bangor - 3 Jun 1985)

Chris Tolley March 19th 05 08:06 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:17:37 GMT, wrote:

Off the top of my head,,, The Black Country Museum, Sandtoft
Trolleybus Museum, East Anglia Transport Museum, the Birkenhead
tramway system.

Didn't know of those. Thanks.
--
My most recent pictu
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12846287.html

Chris Tolley March 19th 05 08:50 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:03:48 +0000, Christine. wrote:

Sorry about my ignorance but what is a "Real Man"

Last I heard, it was someone who doesn't eat quiche.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10601005.html
(86 204 passing Willesden Junction in InterCity Swallow livery, 1995)

[email protected] March 19th 05 09:36 PM

wrote:

Chris Tolley wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 19 Mar 2005:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:23:03 GMT, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:36:16 +0000, Chris Tolley
That's already been mentioned, and argued about. However, there is the
Crich tramway Museum which is electrified...

... with overhead wires, not third rail And it isn't a preserved
line, it's in a former quarry. There are lots of museums with overhead
wires -tramway and trolleybus.

Well, of course. ;-)

Anyway, you say "lots" of others. I can think of Beamish, but then I run
out of ideas. What do you have in mind?

Amberley

Amberley is an excellent museum, with much live operating action but I
can't think of any electric traction there (wires or third rail). IMO
it's one of the best family days out in southern England.

They have a wonderful and unique vehicle called a Tramocar which is a
solid-tyred vehicle steered by a tiller but it doesn't run on rails!

Paul

g.harman March 19th 05 11:40 PM

REPOST: For Boltar About The EOR.

wrote:

Amberley is an excellent museum, with much live operating action but I
can't think of any electric traction there (wires or third rail). IMO
it's one of the best family days out in southern England.

Nothing that moves in the rolling stock sense unless you count the
petrol electric Southdown bus.

ISTR though that they have some exhibit to do with the operation of
Southern Railway Substations

And somewhere when I visited there were a couple of lenghts of narrow
gauge track with a third rail. probably from Volks railway . Meant to
ask someone .

G.Harman

John Ray March 21st 05 06:49 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

Chris Tolley wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:03:48 +0000, Christine. wrote:

Sorry about my ignorance but what is a "Real Man"

Last I heard, it was someone who doesn't eat quiche.

Thank you - that made me laugh out loud, which doesn't happen very
often!

--
John Ray

Steve Dulieu March 21st 05 11:30 PM

For Boltar About The EOR.

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Steve Dulieu
writes

TEP = Train Equipment Panel
CDU = Cab Display Unit

Both perform essentially the same task, allow the driver to switch off
various bits of train equipment, but the TEP gave a much greater degree

of
control. It had a button to cut out the rheo for one thing.

They still do, if you know where to find it, although it's not on the
CDU...

Yes Steve, I know. Problem arises on the sadly inevitable occasion that the
hero of our tale forgets to stick it back into forward 2 before he departs
the next station...;-)