Old March 25th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube so expensive

Mrs Redboots wrote:
David Cantrell wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 25 Mar 2005:

On 16 Mar 2005 09:32:26 -0800, "EorJames"
said:

Yes But Labour have put the Taxes up.
But you seem to think im the tories side as well.
Well i dont support any side.
But still taxes have gone up.
Luckly in todays budget petrol hasnt gone up until september.
I dont think Gordon brown would dare.
83p a litre on average is rediculous.

I suggest.
You learn to.
WRITE properly in English.
before jabbering.
About politics.

Isn't he proof that New Labour's education policy hasn't worked very
well.... at least, not in his case!

Be fair, it's at least as good as the Tories.

Old March 25th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Brimstone
writes
Is there anything to prevent him making an effort to improve his
English without the aid of teachers?

Seen on a bus in Bristol, "If you can read this, thank a teacher."
--
Clive.
Old March 25th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
Isn't he proof that New Labour's education policy hasn't worked very
well.... at least, not in his case!
--

It depends on his age.
Old March 25th 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Christine. wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 25 Mar 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes
Isn't he proof that New Labour's education policy hasn't worked very
well.... at least, not in his case!
--

It depends on his age.

Didn't he say he was 15? In which case he'd have been educated almost
completely under the present government.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 25th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Christine. wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 25 Mar 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes
Isn't he proof that New Labour's education policy hasn't worked very
well.... at least, not in his case!
--

It depends on his age.

Didn't he say he was 15? In which case he'd have been educated almost
completely under the present government.

Errrrmmmm, I'm not one to pick holes (most of the time) but weren't you
suggesting that he *hadn't* been educated?

Old March 25th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message
If you're going to try and slag someone off do make an effort to get your
facts right first of all. The price of motoring, icluding fuel, has
reduced since Labour was voted into power. It was the Tories who
introduced the Fuel Tax Escalator to push the price up faster than
inflation.

I don't have any facts as to whether the cost of motoring has come down, but
I do know that under the Conservatives it was possible to buy unleaded
petrol at 41.9p per litre and yesterday I paid 83.9p. How does that equate
to a fall in fuel prices under Labour? Also, one now has to pay £5 to enter
central London during the day. Okay, I accept you can't directly blame that
on Tony, and AFAIAC I personally benefit from the CC, but we wouldn't have a
CC today had the Conservatives been returned to government in 1997.

Old March 25th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
Mrs Redboots wrote:
Christine. wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 25 Mar 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes
Isn't he proof that New Labour's education policy hasn't worked
very well.... at least, not in his case!
--
It depends on his age.

Didn't he say he was 15? In which case he'd have been educated
almost completely under the present government.

Errrrmmmm, I'm not one to pick holes (most of the time) but weren't
you suggesting that he *hadn't* been educated?

I think she was implying that he *had* been educated, but only for 2
years under the Tories. Then it all went downhill under Labour
apparently. I wonder how she explains why so many people in their 20s
also can't write decent English.
--
Richard J.

Old March 25th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
If you're going to try and slag someone off do make an effort to get
your facts right first of all. The price of motoring, icluding fuel,
has reduced since Labour was voted into power. It was the Tories who
introduced the Fuel Tax Escalator to push the price up faster than
inflation.

I don't have any facts as to whether the cost of motoring has come
down, but I do know that under the Conservatives it was possible to
buy unleaded petrol at 41.9p per litre and yesterday I paid 83.9p.
How does that equate to a fall in fuel prices under Labour? Also,
one now has to pay £5 to enter central London during the day. Okay, I
accept you can't directly blame that on Tony, and AFAIAC I personally
benefit from the CC, but we wouldn't have a CC today had the
Conservatives been returned to government in 1997.

By how much has your income gone up over the same period?

Old March 25th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message
By how much has your income gone up over the same period?

How does that affect the cost of motoring? If my disposable income had
doubled during the time concerned, I might have chosen to spend that extra
money on other things besides motoring. Therefore I am still worse off than
if fuel had remained at early-1990s prices.

Old March 25th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
By how much has your income gone up over the same period?

How does that affect the cost of motoring?

It means that although the purchase price of (say) a litre of petrol has
gone up it represents less as a percentage of your income (assuming no
changes other than inflation). Therefore the price of petrol has decreased.

If my disposable income had
doubled during the time concerned, I might have chosen to spend that
extra money on other things besides motoring. Therefore I am still
worse off than if fuel had remained at early-1990s prices.

Wrong, because petrol has increased at a slower rate than income therefore
people still have more to do with as they wish than at any point in the
history of motoring. Why? Because the cost of motoring has decreased over
the last 100 plus years.