London Banter

-   -   Oyster Prepay on Thameslink (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2874-oyster-prepay-thameslink.html)

Matthew March 22nd 05 08:08 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

The gates at London Bridge on the National Rail platforms will let you
through with only prepay on an oystercard, but will not deduct any
fare or resolve the jounry. The validators on platforms 5/6 must be
used even if you have already touched in or out there.

David A Stocks March 24th 05 02:24 PM

"Matthew" wrote in message
The gates at London Bridge on the National Rail platforms will let you
through with only prepay on an oystercard, but will not deduct any
fare or resolve the jounry. The validators on platforms 5/6 must be
used even if you have already touched in or out there.

That could be useful to know, if only to avoid putting my season ticket
through the gates.

Does anyone know the position with the gates/validators at Farringdon? A
typical scenario is an occasional journey Brighton to Moorgate and return:

1. I use my National Rail season which is valid as far as City Thameslink.
2. At Farringdon I validate the prepay card on the platform (does it matter
which platform I do this on?) and then
3. Change to the Underground for Moorgate.
4. At Moorgate I the prepay card lets me out through the gates.

As far as I can see this all works as I would have expected, in both
directions. HOWEVER, I once found that the delays on the underground at
Farringdon were going to be excessive, & thus decided to leave the station
and walk - but after I had validated the prepay card. The oystercard refused
to let me through the ticket gates ...

D A Stocks

Matthew March 24th 05 09:37 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

.. .
The gates at London Bridge on the National Rail platforms will let you
through with only prepay on an oystercard, but will not deduct any
fare or resolve the journey. The validators on platforms 5/6 must be
used even if you have already touched in or out there.

That could be useful to know, if only to avoid putting my season ticket
through the gates.

Frequent use may well be monitored to stop "dumb-belling".

Does anyone know the position with the gates/validators at Farringdon? A
typical scenario is an occasional journey Brighton to Moorgate and return:

1. I use my National Rail season which is valid as far as City Thameslink.

You are travelling without a valid ticket between City Thameslink and
Farringdon. To combine a paper National Rail ticket and Oyster Prepay
you must touch in where your paper ticket ends, at City Thameslink.

2. At Farringdon I validate the prepay card on the platform (does it matter
which platform I do this on?) and then
3. Change to the Underground for Moorgate.
4. At Moorgate I the prepay card lets me out through the gates.

As far as I can see this all works as I would have expected, in both
directions. HOWEVER, I once found that the delays on the underground at
Farringdon were going to be excessive, & thus decided to leave the station
and walk - but after I had validated the prepay card. The oystercard refused
to let me through the ticket gates ...

Prepay requires a touch in and out, so your usual journey is valid
between Farringdon & Moorgate. Just touching out at Farringdon would
lead to an unresolved journey.

Rupert Candy March 25th 05 08:13 AM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

Matthew wrote:
.. .
The gates at London Bridge on the National Rail platforms will let

you
through with only prepay on an oystercard, but will not deduct any
fare or resolve the journey. The validators on platforms 5/6 must

be
used even if you have already touched in or out there.

That could be useful to know, if only to avoid putting my season

ticket
through the gates.

Frequent use may well be monitored to stop "dumb-belling".

What does 'dumb-belling' mean?

[...]

Fascinating. So you'd have to get out at CT, go up to the ticket hall
to touch in, then come back down again and get on another train for the
10 second journey to Farringdon?

In that case I suppose the Farringdon validators are actually intended
for people changing *onto* Thameslink, having used Prepay to get them
there on the Tube (since otherwise you would be leaving the Tube
without passing through a gateline). In fact I can't think of any way
they could be used in the opposite direction (though I suppose someone
might *theoretically* have e.g. a Brighton - Farringdon LU season...)

In a way it's a shame, because the type of journey the OP mentioned
would be extremely useful for me (given that Tube interchange at
Elephant & Castle is such a faff!) Perhaps they should install
validators on the trains...

On a related note, has anyone ever tried using Prepay on the Kentish
Town - E&C section of Thameslink? If so, were you charged Tube fares
for doing so?

Dave Arquati March 25th 05 11:30 AM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

Rupert Candy wrote:
Matthew wrote:

(snip)
[...]

In this case, yes.

In that case I suppose the Farringdon validators are actually intended
for people changing *onto* Thameslink, having used Prepay to get them
there on the Tube (since otherwise you would be leaving the Tube
without passing through a gateline). In fact I can't think of any way
they could be used in the opposite direction (though I suppose someone
might *theoretically* have e.g. a Brighton - Farringdon LU season...)

Not really... you could have any National Rail ticket valid to
Farringdon (e.g. a single from Luton to Farringdon) and then you would
touch in on the validators with an Oyster in order to continue your
journey on the Tube (e.g. to Whitechapel).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Rupert Candy March 25th 05 11:01 PM

Dave Arquati wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
In that case I suppose the Farringdon validators are actually

intended
for people changing *onto* Thameslink, having used Prepay to get

them
there on the Tube (since otherwise you would be leaving the Tube
without passing through a gateline). In fact I can't think of any

way
they could be used in the opposite direction (though I suppose

someone
might *theoretically* have e.g. a Brighton - Farringdon LU

season...)

Not really... you could have any National Rail ticket valid to
Farringdon (e.g. a single from Luton to Farringdon) and then you

would
touch in on the validators with an Oyster in order to continue your
journey on the Tube (e.g. to Whitechapel).

I suppose so, but I wonder how many people in e.g. Luton realise that
if they buy a ticket to "London" it won't be valid at Farringdon, so
they have to buy a ticket to "Farringdon LU"? In other words, how many
people would *correctly* use the validators for the journey you
describe? (Obviously a rhetorical question.)

IMHO the status of Farringdon as a non-London Terminal is a ridiculous
anomaly that catches out large numbers of people who believe themselves
to be holding a valid ticket. It's ridiculous that with my particular
season ticket I can get off the train at City Thameslink or KXT (a good
deal further on than Farringdon and no more of a "terminal" under
non-blockade circumstances), but if I dare to get off at the station
between them I risk a £10 penalty fare. Grr.

Matthew Dickinson March 25th 05 11:54 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

IMHO the status of Farringdon as a non-London Terminal is a ridiculous
anomaly that catches out large numbers of people who believe themselves
to be holding a valid ticket. It's ridiculous that with my particular
season ticket I can get off the train at City Thameslink or KXT (a good
deal further on than Farringdon and no more of a "terminal" under
non-blockade circumstances), but if I dare to get off at the station
between them I risk a £10 penalty fare. Grr.

Kings Cross Thameslink is not a valid "London Terminal" for journeys
from the south.

From the Thameslink website:

http://www.travelbuddy.info/main.php...id=6&page_id=9

"Customers travelling to London from the south, including the Brighton
line and the Wimbledon – Sutton – Carshalton line, will continue to be
issued with tickets with the destination “London Terminals” if
travelling to London Bridge, Blackfriars or City Thameslink. Customers
travelling to Farringdon or King's Cross Thameslink from the south
will continue to receive tickets naming these specific stations."

Matthew Dickinson March 25th 05 11:58 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On 25 Mar 2005 01:13:00 -0800, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

Matthew wrote:
.. .
The gates at London Bridge on the National Rail platforms will let

you
through with only prepay on an oystercard, but will not deduct any
fare or resolve the journey. The validators on platforms 5/6 must

be
used even if you have already touched in or out there.

That could be useful to know, if only to avoid putting my season

ticket
through the gates.

Frequent use may well be monitored to stop "dumb-belling".

What does 'dumb-belling' mean?

"Dumb-belling" or short ticket fraud is where somebody uses passes
valid solely at each end of a long journey to pass through gatelines.
For example holding a Z1 travelcard and a Z6 travelcard, and making
regular Z1-6 journeys. Gates can be set to monitor this with paper
tickets, and I imagine on Oystercards too.

Keith J Chesworth March 26th 05 12:53 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On 25 Mar 2005 16:01:45 -0800, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:
Rupert Candy wrote:
[...]

Actually this is a bit weird.
I have several clients about the Farringdon area and so did specify
Farringdon when going there pre-blockade. Still was inevitably given a
London Terminals ticket. Now just get a Travel Card so I can free up
my options.

In the last couple of months I have also had some surprises WRT
Farringdon KX travel. Returning in a group from an evening function at
Clerkenwell in very inclement weather we used TL to KX then walked
down the tunnels to KX underground for shelter, forgetting that that
would mean that we would hit the Northern barriers at the other end.
The TL tickets operated these with no problem.

Then at the next function we found the weather just as bad and used
the Circle line to return, expecting to pay extra at the barriers at
KX. Nope, ML tickets were accepted by them

Keith J Chesworth

www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk

Rupert Candy March 26th 05 08:38 PM

wrote:

I suppose so, but I wonder how many people in e.g. Luton realise

that
if they buy a ticket to "London" it won't be valid at Farringdon, so
they have to buy a ticket to "Farringdon LU"? In other words, how

many
people would *correctly* use the validators for the journey you
describe? (Obviously a rhetorical question.)

In the normal course of events, tickets from stations between West
Hampstead and Bedford (inclusive) *to* London should be issued to

London
Thameslink (NLC 4452), and are valid to stations from Kings Cross
Thamelsink through to Moorgate, Elephant & Castle or London Bridge.

Interesting, because the same isn't true on the southern section
(presumably because of the more complex pattern of services/terminals)
- if I buy a ticket to "London Terminals" at Herne Hill, it will be
routed "Not Underground" (as you describe later on in your posting) and
therefore (I suppose) not valid at Farringdon or KXT. But presumably
it will be cheaper than a ticket to "London Thameslink".

We've really opened a can of worms here. It's far more complex (and
anomalous) than I thought.

I honestly hadn't realised that KXT wasn't a "London Terminal". I'm
glad I never tried to get out through the barriers there with my
season...

asdf March 26th 05 09:44 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On 26 Mar 2005 13:38:40 -0800, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

We've really opened a can of worms here. It's far more complex (and
anomalous) than I thought.

The situation is actually quite clear. It's set out in the National
Fares Manual - check page A5 of this document:
http://www.atoc.org/traveltrade/manu...iona-part1.pdf

I honestly hadn't realised that KXT wasn't a "London Terminal".

It is, but only if you're approaching from the north (and there isn't
a blockade on).

Keith J Chesworth March 26th 05 10:32 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

wrote:

I suppose so, but I wonder how many people in e.g. Luton realise that
if they buy a ticket to "London" it won't be valid at Farringdon, so
they have to buy a ticket to "Farringdon LU"? In other words, how many
people would *correctly* use the validators for the journey you
describe? (Obviously a rhetorical question.)

In the normal course of events, tickets from stations between West
Hampstead and Bedford (inclusive) *to* London should be issued to London
Thameslink (NLC 4452), and are valid to stations from Kings Cross
Thamelsink through to Moorgate, Elephant & Castle or London Bridge.

At the moment, such tickets (assuming they're not routed "Thameslink
Only" or "Not Underground") are being accepted on London Underground
services to Farringdon, Barbican, Moorgate, Blackfriars and London
Bridge; and also on buses on routes 45 and 63.

If you've got a ticket routed "Thameslink Only" or "Not Underground",
however (e.g. easyJet promo, DaySave or Thameslink Partner's Card), you
have to walk from St Pancras down to Kings Cross Thameslink (or get the
Thameslink Assisted Travel Bus to City Thameslink) to continue your
journey.

HTH,

Barry

Thanks for that, it rather explains my previous post in this thread
about the KX barriers accepting the tickets. Just wish that the RPI at
KX (LU) knew about it - there when I queried the possibility I was
told 'No way'

Paul Corfield March 27th 05 08:37 AM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:04:20 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

And, for completeness, the current list of stations valid for
cross-London transfer on a through ticket (displaying the "Maltese
Cross" marker, is as follows:

Aldgate Embankment London Bridge
Amersham Euston Marylebone
Baker Street Euston Square Moorgate
Balham Farringdon New Cross Gate
Bank Finsbury Park Old Street
Barking Greenwich Paddington
Blackfriars Highbury & Islington Queens Park
Blackhorse Road Kensington Olympia Richmond
Canning Town Kentish Town Seven Sisters
Cannon Street King's Cross/St Pancras Southwark
Charing Cross Lancaster Gate Stratford
Ealing Broadway Lewisham Tottenham Hale
Edgware Road Limehouse Tower Hill
Elephant & Castle Liverpool Street Upminster

Apologies for pedantry but you've missed all the stations starting with
"V" and "W" ! I only spotted it because my local station - Walthamstow
Central - is also a transfer point.

Therefore add on

Vauxhall Waterloo West Hampstead
Victoria West Brompton Wimbledon
Walthamstow Central West Ham

--
Paul C

John Ray March 27th 05 03:44 PM

Barry Salter wrote:

And, for completeness, the current list of stations valid for
cross-London transfer on a through ticket (displaying the "Maltese
Cross" marker, is as follows:

Aldgate Embankment London Bridge
Amersham Euston Marylebone
Baker Street Euston Square Moorgate
Balham Farringdon New Cross Gate
Bank Finsbury Park Old Street
Barking Greenwich Paddington
Blackfriars Highbury & Islington Queens Park
Blackhorse Road Kensington Olympia Richmond
Canning Town Kentish Town Seven Sisters
Cannon Street King's Cross/St Pancras Southwark
Charing Cross Lancaster Gate Stratford
Ealing Broadway Lewisham Tottenham Hale
Edgware Road Limehouse Tower Hill
Elephant & Castle Liverpool Street Upminster

From the above, is it legitimate for a passenger travelling from, say,
Aylesbury to Southend, to use LUL between Amersham and Upminster, or are
passengers required to make maximum use of National Rail services?

--
John Ray

Chris Tolley March 28th 05 03:59 AM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:44:04 +0100, John Ray wrote:

From the above, is it legitimate for a passenger travelling from, say,
Aylesbury to Southend, to use LUL between Amersham and Upminster,

It certainly looks that way, though why anyone would want to do that is
a bit of a mystery. Presumably time to waste...

Break of journey is, I think, something of an issue.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632911.html
(Skye seen through mist and low cloud from Kyle of Lochalsh in 1999)

Andrew Black (delete obvious bit) March 28th 05 12:36 PM

KXT as a London Terminal

Matthew Dickinson wrote in
:

Kings Cross Thameslink is not a valid "London Terminal" for journeys
from the south.

I agree with what you say, but when I asked for a ticket from East Dulwich
to KXT I was given one to London Terminals. This was in Sept 04. Has
something changed. Or was the staff member confused.

--
Andrew Black
andrewblack at despammed.com
London

Paul Weaver March 29th 05 06:43 AM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:13:00 -0800, Rupert Candy wrote:
In that case I suppose the Farringdon validators are actually intended
for people changing *onto* Thameslink, having used Prepay to get them
there on the Tube (since otherwise you would be leaving the Tube
without passing through a gateline). In fact I can't think of any way
they could be used in the opposite direction (though I suppose someone
might *theoretically* have e.g. a Brighton - Farringdon LU season...)

Or a ticket from the north - Bedford - Farrington etc. Why is this such a
strange thing?

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Clive Page March 29th 05 05:12 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

In article . com,
Rupert Candy writes
IMHO the status of Farringdon as a non-London Terminal is a ridiculous
anomaly that catches out large numbers of people who believe themselves
to be holding a valid ticket. It's ridiculous that with my particular
season ticket I can get off the train at City Thameslink or KXT (a good
deal further on than Farringdon and no more of a "terminal" under
non-blockade circumstances), but if I dare to get off at the station
between them I risk a £10 penalty fare. Grr.

I thought that *all* rail season tickets were automatically valid for
all combinations of stations on a valid route between the end points.
Can you explain what is special about your ticket that makes this not
true?

--
Clive Page

Clive Page March 29th 05 05:18 PM

KXT as a London Terminal

In article , "Andrew
Black (delete obvious bit)" writes
I agree with what you say, but when I asked for a ticket from East Dulwich
to KXT I was given one to London Terminals. This was in Sept 04. Has
something changed. Or was the staff member confused.

I rather suspect that ticket office staff may be confused. On several
occasions I have bought a ticket from a south London terminal such as
Waterloo or Charing Cross to Luton, telling the clerk that I wanted a
ticket valid on NR trains from there to London Bridge, and then north
via Thameslink. I have mostly been sold a "London Terminals" to Luton
ticket at (I'm pretty sure) the same price as if I had bought one at,
say, King's Cross (but not Farringdon). I suspect these were sold to me
too cheaply, but I'm not sure.

There is obviously a distinction between north London terminals, and
south London ones as far as the fares go, but is such a distinction
visible on the ticket itself when it is printed?

--
Clive Page

Andrew Black (delete obvious bit) March 29th 05 07:24 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

Barry Salter wrote in
:

Just to doubly confuse matters, it is a London Terminal. The group
comprises:

So I am even more confused now. If I buy a ticket to "London Terminals"
it is only valid to some terminals. How do I find out which terminals it is
valid to?

Neil Williams March 29th 05 07:47 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On 29 Mar 2005 19:24:14 GMT, "Andrew Black (delete obvious bit)"
wrote:

So I am even more confused now. If I buy a ticket to "London Terminals"
it is only valid to some terminals. How do I find out which terminals it is
valid to?

I believe you treat all of them as if they were one station, and so
which you can use is a factor of where the Permitted Routes to that
one "virtual" London station end up.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Dave Arquati March 29th 05 09:20 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

Barry Salter wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:12:55 +0100, Clive Page
wrote:

I thought that *all* rail season tickets were automatically valid for
all combinations of stations on a valid route between the end points.
Can you explain what is special about your ticket that makes this not
true?

For a Thameslink journey to, or through, Farringdon, Barbican and
Moorgate your ticket MUST have Underground Zone 1 validity. A ticket to
London Terminals isn't valid beyond City Thameslink from the South and
St Pancras/Kings Cross Thameslink from the North.

What about the "London Thameslink" destination?

Googling that brings up the following:
http://www.travelbuddy.info/main.php...id=6&page_id=9

"Thameslink customers travelling to or from stations between Bedford and
West Hampstead Thameslink are issued with tickets marked "London
Thameslink" for the following London stations: Farringdon, Barbican,
Moorgate, City Thameslink, Blackfriars and London Bridge.

These "London Thameslink" tickets allow passengers travelling from the
north to join the London Underground system at King's Cross St Pancras
Underground station and to leave it at one of the London Thameslink
destinations stated in the previous paragraph. These tickets work the
ticket gates at these Underground stations. Alternatively, passengers
will be able to take bus 63/N63 or bus 45/N45 from outside St Pancras
station to get to their Thameslink destination.

Passengers who travel from central London Thameslink stations to
stations in the north are able to use the Tube or bus 45/N45 or 63/N63
to King's Cross St Pancras to connect with Thameslink at St Pancras.

If you do not wish to travel south beyond St Pancras you will be issued
with a ticket to "London Terminals"."

And:

"Customers travelling to London from the south, including the Brighton
line and the Wimbledon – Sutton – Carshalton line, will continue to be
issued with tickets with the destination “London Terminals” if
travelling to London Bridge, Blackfriars or City Thameslink. Customers
travelling to Farringdon or King's Cross Thameslink from the south will
continue to receive tickets naming these specific stations."

You don't need Underground Zone 1 validity to travel to Farringdon etc.,
but you do need an appropriate Thameslink ticket, e.g. Luton to London
Thameslink will get you to Farringdon (or anywhere as far as London Bridge).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Peter Smyth March 29th 05 09:53 PM

wrote:

I thought that *all* rail season tickets were automatically valid for
all combinations of stations on a valid route between the end points.
Can you explain what is special about your ticket that makes this not
true?

For a Thameslink journey to, or through, Farringdon, Barbican and
Moorgate your ticket MUST have Underground Zone 1 validity. A ticket to
London Terminals isn't valid beyond City Thameslink from the South and
St Pancras/Kings Cross Thameslink from the North.

I can't explain the logic behind this, but it's probably due to the
"special" status of the former "Widened Lines" as part of the Met.

However the Conditions of Carriage say that through trains are always valid
routes. This would mean that for example on an Any Permitted East Croydon -
London Terminals ticket you could travel to KX Thameslink providing you used
a through train.

Peter Smyth

Neil Williams March 29th 05 10:01 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:53:17 +0100, "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

However the Conditions of Carriage say that through trains are always valid
routes. This would mean that for example on an Any Permitted East Croydon -
London Terminals ticket you could travel to KX Thameslink providing you used
a through train.

Isn't Thameslink a special case, because it's effectively LU in
ticketing terms when you get into the central area?

Neil

Tom Anderson March 29th 05 10:03 PM

wrote:

[...]

Of course, this does not apply if you are in knip.

tom

--
China Mieville has shown us how to be a good socialist and a bad science fiction writer. -- The Times

Paul Weaver March 29th 05 10:17 PM

wrote:

So I am even more confused now. If I buy a ticket to "London Terminals"
it is only valid to some terminals. How do I find out which terminals it is
valid to?

I believe you treat all of them as if they were one station, and so
which you can use is a factor of where the Permitted Routes to that
one "virtual" London station end up.

Neil

Presumably valid on Thameslink (Gatwick - Kings Cross), but not on
underground (Gatwick - Liverpool Street)
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

David A Stocks March 30th 05 09:11 AM

"Matthew" wrote in message
1. I use my National Rail season which is valid as far as City

Thameslink.

You are travelling without a valid ticket between City Thameslink and
Farringdon. To combine a paper National Rail ticket and Oyster Prepay
you must touch in where your paper ticket ends, at City Thameslink.

I suspected as much. So what happens in the (very unlikely) event that a
gripper asks to see my ticket during the 30 seconds between City Thameslink
and Farringdon? Do they carry Oyster readers? I think it's daft that I
should have to break my journey at Blackfriars or City Thameslink, although
there is probably enough time to leap off the train at London Bridge, use
the platform validator, and then get back on - but this would carry the risk
of losing one's seat.

They can hardly claim that I'm trying to avoid paying the fare ...

David Stocks

Clive Page March 30th 05 06:57 PM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

In article , Barry Salter
writes
For a Thameslink journey to, or through, Farringdon, Barbican and
Moorgate your ticket MUST have Underground Zone 1 validity. A ticket to
London Terminals isn't valid beyond City Thameslink from the South and
St Pancras/Kings Cross Thameslink from the North.

Just to confuse the issue further: one can buy tickets from stations in
Thameslink North (e.g. Luton) to those in Thameslink South (e.g.
Gatwick) which are routed "Thameslink only" i.e. they are not valid for
cross-london travel via underground, nor at any U1 station, but only via
Farringdon etc. I'm not sure at what point the rules change - if you ask
for a ticket from Luton to a destination in south London within the
travelcard zone system, you tend to get a zonal ticket as being the
cheapest. But other ticket types must surely exist, e.g. for travel in
peak hours.

--
Clive Page

Matthew Dickinson March 31st 05 02:50 AM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

On 25 Mar 2005 01:13:00 -0800, "Rupert Candy"
wrote:

Matthew wrote:
.. .
[...]

Prepay is not valid travelling south from Kentish Town at the moment
as there are no validators at St. Pancras and touching in again at
Kings Cross Thameslink will lead to an unresolved journey.

Kieran Turner March 31st 05 11:00 AM

"Clive Page" wrote in message
In article , Barry Salter
writes

Just to confuse the issue further: one can buy tickets from stations in
Thameslink North (e.g. Luton) to those in Thameslink South (e.g. Gatwick)
which are routed "Thameslink only" i.e. they are not valid for
cross-london travel via underground, nor at any U1 station, but only via

I think that in general the "Thameslink only" wording is used badly, i.e.
it's overly simplified.

I've been sold Thameslink tickets from Brighton to London (sometimes they
have been cheaper than Southern ones) which include a zone 1-6 travelcard,
yet still say "Thameslink only" which I've always presumed applies just to
the journey between the outside of zone 6 and Brighton. But to a tourist or
pedant (!) that detail could be a cause of worry.

Recently though I was travelling to London Bridge on a day when Thameslinks
weren't stopping there (going straight to Blackfriars) and was told by the
ticket office to get on a Southern service instead. Fortunately didn't meet
anybody on the train who might have argued! ;)

Michael Hoffman March 31st 05 12:15 PM

KXT as a London Terminal

Clive Page wrote:

There is obviously a distinction between north London terminals, and
south London ones as far as the fares go, but is such a distinction
visible on the ticket itself when it is printed?

It's in section K of the National Fares Manual.
--
Michael Hoffman

Michael Hoffman March 31st 05 12:17 PM

KXT as a London Terminal

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Clive Page wrote:

There is obviously a distinction between north London terminals, and
south London ones as far as the fares go, but is such a distinction
visible on the ticket itself when it is printed?

It's in section K of the National Fares Manual.

Oops, I mean section A!
--
Michael Hoffman

Paul Weaver April 1st 05 11:43 AM

Oyster Prepay on Thameslink

I suspected as much. So what happens in the (very unlikely) event that a
gripper asks to see my ticket during the 30 seconds between City

Thameslink
and Farringdon? Do they carry Oyster readers? I think it's daft that I
should have to break my journey at Blackfriars or City Thameslink,

although
there is probably enough time to leap off the train at London Bridge, use
the platform validator, and then get back on - but this would carry the

risk
of losing one's seat.

It's only 30 seconds - I wouldn't bother with losing your seat.

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.