Old March 26th 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

Default The Journey

Well M3 to A316 was pretty easy as was the journey from the A316 to A4.

Instead of going on the Hogarth roundabout we went on a crappy flyover!

When we got to Brompton Road we were ok following instructions - we came
unstuck when we got to Buckingham Palace and couldnt locate Birdcage walk
(we didnt see any signs!) we drove round a bit and evetually used The Mall -
then it was anyones guess.... took a couple of snaps of pages at
Multimap.com - we went over the Waterrloo Bridge as we went the wrong way -
when we got to Aldywch we had to drive roudn it a few times - but manaed it
OK.

We had a couple of hours to spare so we walked around a bit, worringly we
got lost for a while but it was all OK, went and walked over the Waterloo
bridge as well.

Parking was easy peasey - paid for 90mins on Drury Lane and got about 3 and
a half for free because it was free after 6.30 (however there diff
restrictios all over the place)

Way back was a bit harder, we used the GPS this time, but it was not being
helpful - drove round outside Buckingham Palace loads of times (is that Park
Lane?) - in the end we foudn signs for Heathrow and we just went on memory
before we finally managed to get back on the A40.

However I would like to say I think the signage was pretty crap, I mean for
one they shoudl know loads of people will be driving around these areas so
will be lost/wondering wtf is going on - they shoudl at least made the road
sigsn bigger for all the roads in the busiest areas - we were struggling to
see signs and had to make some dodgy moves to get into the right lanes when
we saw our turnings...and I pulled off a few *ahem* manouvres that got me a
few beeps

The show (Woman In Black) was very good too. Recommended.

Old March 27th 05, 02:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

mo wrote:
Well M3 to A316 was pretty easy as was the journey from the A316 to
A4.

Instead of going on the Hogarth roundabout we went on a crappy
flyover!

Oi, don't be rude about our flyover! Vintage 1969, and only meant to
last for 5 years. :-)

[...]
However I would like to say I think the signage was pretty crap, I
mean for one they shoudl know loads of people will be driving
around these areas so will be lost/wondering wtf is going on - they
shoudl at least made the road sigsn bigger for all the roads in the
busiest areas - we were struggling to see signs and had to make
some dodgy moves to get into the right lanes when we saw our
turnings...and I pulled off a few *ahem* manouvres that got me a
few beeps

We did warn you! To do the job properly, you would need masses of
overhead gantries with signs over each lane, but that would spoil the
street scene. So the signs are deliberately limited, and people are
meant to plan their journeys using street maps. In particular, the
roads around Buckingham Palace are ceremonial routes with minimal street
furniture that can be cleared away on state occasions.

Anyway, glad you had a successful day, and thanks for the report.

--
Richard J.

The show (Woman In Black) was very good too. Recommended.

Old March 27th 05, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
mo mo is offline

"Richard J." wrote in message news:qXn1e.6085

We did warn you! To do the job properly, you would need masses of
overhead gantries with signs over each lane, but that would spoil the
street scene. So the signs are deliberately limited, and people are
meant to plan their journeys using street maps. In particular, the
roads around Buckingham Palace are ceremonial routes with minimal street
furniture that can be cleared away on state occasions.

True, all I am asking for is nice signs for streets (say SLOANE STREET)

In our city (southampton) they are currently replacing almost every street
sign - the text now is bold black and has city of southampton on it

Of course the london ones woudl have the postcode on it but they could be a
bit bigger and more of them on the busier roads so you know where you are!

most of the ones we saw were faded and bareley readable (esp at night) and a
lot of them are high up on high buildings (making them harder to read)