Old July 12th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hammersmith flyover closed for three weeks from Aug 1st

"Cal Nihoni" wrote in message
"Oliver Keating" wrote in message

And even if you don't live in Hammersmith - don't think your immune,

lots
of
roads lead into it which will be completely solid, and have tailbacks

for
many many miles.

The following roads will not move:

Fulham Palace Road (A219)
Hammersmith Road (A315)
King Street (A315)
Shephers Bush Road (A219)
Hammersmith Bridge (A306)

Hammersmith Road is already totally buggered due to the gas main
replacement. They have had a load of holes outside my house and no workmen
in sight for about three months now, although a huge mountain of sand did
appear at the Blythe Road/Hammersmith Road junction on Friday so maybe

they
have been told to get on with it and fill them in.

Yeah I went down Hammersmith Road the other day. It was a joke.

Hehe. London is going to be fun.

People who don't realise are going to thing its the apocolypse and London is
being evacuated. Maybe it will lead to mass panic

I second the idea of leaving the country. I'm off to Ibiza I think.

Totally! Tho I reckon I will end up going whereever has cheap flights.

Old July 13th 03, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

August is a busy month for Heathrow, and Hammersmith Bridge is also
one of the key routes to Gatwick (A306 up to the A3, south to Tolworth
then A240, A217, M25, M23)

I reckon that other majorly affected roads will be the A40 as traffic
will use this as an alternative route, then all the roads from there
down to the A4/M4 up to the M25.

The alternative route south of Hammersmith is A205 (South Circular)
over Kew Bridge, A217 up to Wandsworth Bridge then either over that
bridge and through Chelsea or over Battersea Bridge and along the
Thames.

If they stopped "fixing" bridges etc that don't actually appear to be
broken then maybe they could spend the money instead on building some
new crucial underpasses/flyovers.
Old July 13th 03, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

nmtop40 wrote:

If they stopped "fixing" bridges etc that don't actually appear to be
broken

They should wait until YOU can see the bits falling off, or what?!
Old July 14th 03, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

nmtop40 writes

They should wait until YOU can see the bits falling off, or what?!

went over it today twice and it looked in fine condition to me.

maybe just close it off to the lorries, let cars continue to use it.

All I can say is; thank **** you're not an engineer.

--
Dave
Old July 16th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In case you hadn't noticed bridges have undersides as well, did you look
there?

Not recently but I used to work in Hammersmith and walked under the
flyover every day walking from Hammersmith Bridge to the Piccadilly
Line station.