Old April 9th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Route from Holloway to Bloomsbury

Tom Anderson wrote:
Hi,

What's a good route to cycle from Holloway (round about the Nag's

Head) to
Bloomsbury (specifically, UCL)?

The reason i ask is that this is my commute, but i haven't yet found

good route.

This is my commute too, although I'm heading for the Telecom Tower
rather than UCL.

I can't stand the King's Cross/Euston road bit not for the traffic but
because the road surface is so awful. The seven stations route drives
me mad with all the wierdy cycle lanes that require far more
concentration than being on the road.

So... I've ended up concentrating on the junctions and trying to find a
route that goes straight across the nastier ones. This way you can keep
with the main traffic flow too and there's no trying to pull across
lanes. Being a lazy bugger, I try to follow the contours too so the
route home features no more climbing than necessary.

I head down Caledonian Road and then right onto Brewery Road - it
avoids the hill on Market Road, and I get on well with the crossing
lady outside the primary school down there. We wave at each other every
morning. This is worth braving all the lorries for

Straight across onto Agar Grove which is usually stationary in the
mornings, then down St Pancras Road, right past the canal bridge and
straight across Royal College Street. Then left down the hill trying to
hit the lights in phase, up around the corner of the square and
straight across Eversholt Street onto Hampstead Road and south across
the Euston underpass.

Old April 10th 05, 01:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In message , David Splett
writes
but I find there's always cars, and particularly buses, blocking the
road,

Cars and buses are what the roads are for, cyclists just get a free ride
on their backs.
--
Clive.
Old April 10th 05, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

"Clive Coleman" wrote in message
Cars and buses are what the roads are for, cyclists just get a free ride
on their backs.

Free or otherwise, I pity thse who turn up in London on their train every
morning and spend needless time and effort going down the Tube or waiting
for a bus to turn up.

Old April 10th 05, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

David Splett wrote:
"Clive Coleman" wrote in message

Cars and buses are what the roads are for, cyclists just get a free ride
on their backs.

Free or otherwise, I pity thse who turn up in London on their train every
morning and spend needless time and effort going down the Tube or waiting
for a bus to turn up.

Never yet been beaten on a journey in Central London, me on my Brompton
bike, colleagues variously by tube, taxi or car. Its the parking that
kills it for the car by a long way.

Tony

Old April 10th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Clive Coleman wrote:

In message , David Splett
writes

but I find there's always cars, and particularly buses, blocking the
road,

Cars and buses are what the roads are for, cyclists just get a free ride
on their backs.

I can get a free ride on the back of cars and buses? I never knew that! Do
they have to have racks, or is there some fitting i need for my bike?

tom

--
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Old April 10th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
I can get a free ride on the back of cars and buses? I never knew that! Do
they have to have racks, or is there some fitting i need for my bike?

The Rixen & Kaul quick fit mount. Special magnetic attachment. You can
get one free from the government if you can prove that you haven't paid VED.

Jon
Old April 10th 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

In message , Tony Raven
writes
I have this vision now of cars carrying cycles on cycle racks at the
back with the cyclists still sat on the bike ;-)

I could imagine that, only the cyclist would be too tight to stump up
for the fuel used.
--
Clive.
Old April 11th 05, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Clive Coleman wrote:
In message , David Splett
writes
but I find there's always cars, and particularly buses, blocking the
road,

Cars and buses are what the roads are for, cyclists just get a free
ride on their backs.

And how, pray, do you arrive at /that/ outlandish conclusion? Not by any
process of rational thought, certainly.

--
McTavish the Unmentionable

Maps of the Olympic cycling route and marathon route Basil Jet London Transport 2 August 12th 09 07:00 PM
Bus Route 186 Grahame Park Re-Route?? [email protected] London Transport 6 August 5th 09 09:30 PM
Holloway Road Tube Work Ernst S Blofeld London Transport 16 December 18th 06 11:28 PM
Old Track Near Holloway Rd Kev London Transport 2 August 9th 06 12:48 PM
Route 73 to go DD and Route 29 to go Bendi??? Martin Whelton London Transport 14 February 12th 05 10:07 AM