London Banter

-   -   Breach of Safety by LUL, Again (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2966-breach-safety-lul-again.html)

[email protected] April 19th 05 07:14 AM

Breach of Safety by LUL, Again

Last night some bright spark at Brent Cross had set all the gates to
enter only, they all displayed no exit. Fortunately the side gate
hadn't been locked.
What happens to people with Oyster cards in this situation.
Kevin

Kat April 19th 05 08:30 AM

wrote:
Last night some bright spark at Brent Cross had set all the gates to
enter only, they all displayed no exit. Fortunately the side gate
hadn't been locked.
What happens to people with Oyster cards in this situation.

They should use the Oyster reader by the manual gate.
--
Kat

[email protected] April 19th 05 11:29 AM

Breach of Safety by LUL, Again

Just was well it was unlocked then.

Kevin

Helen Deborah Vecht April 19th 05 11:37 AM

Breach of Safety by LUL, Again

Kat typed

wrote:
Last night some bright spark at Brent Cross had set all the gates to
enter only, they all displayed no exit. Fortunately the side gate
hadn't been locked.
What happens to people with Oyster cards in this situation.

They should use the Oyster reader by the manual gate.

Except this sometimes *still* results in an 'incomplete journey'...

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

General Von Clinkerhoffen April 19th 05 04:59 PM

Breach of Safety by LUL, Again

Can someone explain why the gates being closed for exit when the side
gate was open is a breach of safety?

Barry Salter wrote:
On 19 Apr 2005 00:14:06 -0700, wrote:

Last night some bright spark at Brent Cross had set all the gates to
enter only, they all displayed no exit.

Odd...I was under the impression that the bare minimum of gates was
specified as 1 entry, 1 exit, 1 reversible; and I believe this is/was
the arrangement at Bow Road, for example.

I stand for correction on this matter, but I do find it *very* hard to
believe that there wasn't at *least* one gate available for exit
(unless, for some reason, the 'fixed' exit gate had failed).

Cheers,

Barry

Kat April 19th 05 05:44 PM

Barry Salter wrote:
On 19 Apr 2005 00:14:06 -0700, wrote:

Last night some bright spark at Brent Cross had set all the gates to
enter only, they all displayed no exit.

Odd...I was under the impression that the bare minimum of gates was
specified as 1 entry, 1 exit, 1 reversible; and I believe this is/was
the arrangement at Bow Road, for example.

I stand for correction on this matter, but I do find it *very* hard to
believe that there wasn't at *least* one gate available for exit
(unless, for some reason, the 'fixed' exit gate had failed).

Some have their preferences and are used to working in one direction
only but in theory electronic gates can be set open, closed, entry or
exit.
--
Kat

Chris! April 19th 05 05:57 PM

General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:
Can someone explain why the gates being closed for exit when the side

gate was open is a breach of safety?

At a guess the amount of people specified in the 'fire capacity'
cannont be evacuated quickly enough through only the side gate. Also,
if the gate is unlocked but closed, how does one know to try it?

Helen Deborah Vecht April 19th 05 06:08 PM

Breach of Safety by LUL, Again

Barry Salter typed

On 19 Apr 2005 00:14:06 -0700, wrote:

Last night some bright spark at Brent Cross had set all the gates to
enter only, they all displayed no exit.

Odd...I was under the impression that the bare minimum of gates was
specified as 1 entry, 1 exit, 1 reversible; and I believe this is/was
the arrangement at Bow Road, for example.

I stand for correction on this matter, but I do find it *very* hard to
believe that there wasn't at *least* one gate available for exit
(unless, for some reason, the 'fixed' exit gate had failed).

I don't find this *at all* difficult to believe.

Burnt Oak had all its gates set to 'exit' a few weeks ago. The situation
*might* have changed after I tried to sort out some incomplete journeys
on my, and my partner's, Oyster Prepay cards. Wecomplained loudly at
another station about the situation at Burnt Oak...

I won't have the problem now I have my Freedom Pass ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Chris April 19th 05 07:04 PM

Chris! wrote:
At a guess the amount of people specified in the 'fire capacity'
cannont be evacuated quickly enough through only the side gate.

Do the gates not all automatically open in the event of a fire alarm
signal? We operate a restricted entry system at work, and several days
was spent testing that they would open in the event of an alarm being
triggered.

James Farrar April 19th 05 10:27 PM

Chris wrote:
Chris! wrote:

At a guess the amount of people specified in the 'fire capacity'
cannont be evacuated quickly enough through only the side gate.

Do the gates not all automatically open in the event of a fire alarm
signal? We operate a restricted entry system at work, and several days
was spent testing that they would open in the event of an alarm being
triggered.

They should do.

I've been in the ticket hall (at Stepney Green, as it happens) when an
Inspector Sands announcement turned into an evacuation, and as soon as
the evacuation announcement started all the gates opened automatically.