London Banter

-   -   Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT) (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/298-guinness-rules-breaking-tube-record.html)

Meldrew of Meldreth July 13th 03 07:37 AM

Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT)

In article , Cast_Iron
writes
2. Stations which are geographically separate and
not linked but which have the same name must each
be visited.

This applies to Shepherds Bush, (Central) Edgware Road, (Bakerloo)
Paddington(Bakerloo and separately Circle/District) and Hammersmith
(District & Piccadilly). [All on the Hammersmith & City line!]

Shepherds Bush, Edgware Rd and Hammersmith are clearly separate
stations.

There was some recent discussion of Paddington, for
example. What is it about Paddington that makes it "more
separate" than Kings Cross?

There are in reality three stations at Paddington. There are the original
"Bishops Road" platforms, now the H&C, the Circle/District platforms and
lastly the Bakerloo. The booking halls of the latter have been joined by
tunnel whilst the former is at the country end of the mainline platforms.

Yes, but my question is this: why aren't the two stations at Kings Cross
also regarded as separate (H&C/Circle, and Victoria/Northern/Picc).

Is it something to do with the distance between the sets of platforms?
Or having to go through barriers to reach one from the other (obviously
this also applies at KX). All three stations at Paddington are within
the main station "envelope" (which is more than you can say for the
Bakerloo at Charging Cross, whose separate booking office is under
Trafalgar Sq!)
--
"It used to be that what a writer did was type a bit and then stare out of the
window a bit, type a bit, stare out of the window a bit. Networked computers

Colin Rosenstiel July 26th 03 10:38 AM

Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT)

In article ,
(Meldrew of Meldreth) wrote:

Yes, but my question is this: why aren't the two stations at Kings Cross
also regarded as separate (H&C/Circle, and Victoria/Northern/Picc).

Is it something to do with the distance between the sets of platforms?
Or having to go through barriers to reach one from the other (obviously
this also applies at KX). All three stations at Paddington are within
the main station "envelope" (which is more than you can say for the
Bakerloo at Charging Cross, whose separate booking office is under
Trafalgar Sq!)

I think Roland is right here. The test we used when we attempted the tube
in 1970 was whether we had to pass a ticket barrier line to get from one
(part of the) station to the other?

This is true at all the H&C stations mentioned plus King's Cross St
Pancras. It also means that Bank-Monument is one station but Bank (W&C)
was separate (no longer I think).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Meldrew of Meldreth July 26th 03 12:37 PM

Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT)

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
It also means that Bank-Monument is one station but Bank (W&C)
was separate (no longer I think).

If you are looking for barriers in the sense that your ticket might be
checked (if only by hand) then the Waterloo end of W&C probably counts
as well. Is there a short-cut from the Bakerloo/Northern platforms to
W&C that doesn't go via that long wide corridor underneath all the
mainline platforms?

Colin Rosenstiel July 26th 03 01:18 PM

Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT)

In article ,
(Meldrew of Meldreth) wrote:

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
It also means that Bank-Monument is one station but Bank (W&C)
was separate (no longer I think).

If you are looking for barriers in the sense that your ticket might be
checked (if only by hand) then the Waterloo end of W&C probably counts
as well. Is there a short-cut from the Bakerloo/Northern platforms to
W&C that doesn't go via that long wide corridor underneath all the
mainline platforms?

No, there are barriers between the W&C and the rest, I'm sure. In 1970, of
course, barriers were all staffed not automatic.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Meldrew of Meldreth July 26th 03 05:50 PM

Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT)

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Is there a short-cut from the Bakerloo/Northern platforms to
W&C that doesn't go via that long wide corridor underneath all the
mainline platforms?

No, there are barriers between the W&C and the rest, I'm sure. In 1970, of
course, barriers were all staffed not automatic.

So we agree that Waterloo should be added to Paddington, as somewhere
with two distinct underground stations.

Colin Rosenstiel July 26th 03 06:29 PM

Guinness rules (was: Breaking the tube record using IT)

In article ,
(Meldrew of Meldreth) wrote:

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Is there a short-cut from the Bakerloo/Northern platforms to
W&C that doesn't go via that long wide corridor underneath all the
mainline platforms?

No, there are barriers between the W&C and the rest, I'm sure. In
1970, of course, barriers were all staffed not automatic.

So we agree that Waterloo should be added to Paddington, as somewhere
with two distinct underground stations.

Looks like it. Of course it wasn't an issue in 1970 because the W&C only
became part of the Underground in 1994. We did have the Northern City
instead, mind.

Any more double stations?

--
Colin Rosenstiel