London Banter

-   -   Sudbury Hill (Harrow) lack of information (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3017-sudbury-hill-harrow-lack-information.html)

John Rowland May 9th 05 10:00 PM

The Birmingham Direct line

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On 9 May 2005, PhilD wrote:
asdf wrote:

Don't know when, but I do know that the singling
involved leaving the other track in situ.

Sounds like a rather Zen form of singling! What was the point?

Sprung?

Seriously, the point is reduced maintenance cost.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Mark Brader May 10th 05 12:01 AM

The Birmingham Direct line

Phil D.:
... the singling involved leaving the other track in situ.

Tom Anderson:
Sounds like a rather Zen form of singling! What was the point?

John Rowland:
... Seriously, the point is reduced maintenance cost.

Specifically, in some cases the point is no points!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I may be ranting, but I'm right!"
-- Wojeck: Out of the Fire

Tom Anderson May 10th 05 12:08 AM

The Birmingham Direct line

Phil D.:
... the singling involved leaving the other track in situ.

Tom Anderson:
Sounds like a rather Zen form of singling! What was the point?

John Rowland:
... Seriously, the point is reduced maintenance cost.

Mark Brader:
Specifically, in some cases the point is no points!

So 'singling' in this case amounted to 'instructing the maintenance staff
to ignore one of the tracks'? I have to admit, it is an *extremely*
cost-effective way of doing it.

tom

--
Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.

asdf May 10th 05 01:10 AM

The Birmingham Direct line

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:01:09 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Phil D.:
... the singling involved leaving the other track in situ.

Tom Anderson:
Sounds like a rather Zen form of singling! What was the point?

John Rowland:
... Seriously, the point is reduced maintenance cost.

But wouldn't they have to go to the trouble of resignalling it?
(Unless one line was already bidirectionally signalled.)
Although, I suppose maintenance costs are ongoing whereas resignalling
only needs to be done once.

Incidentally, does the line still have the semaphore signals it had 15
years ago?

Specifically, in some cases the point is no points!

Couldn't they just remove any crossovers? That way (I think) there'd
be roughly the same number of points anyway - you'd have extra points
around Greenford, but you wouldn't need the ones where the lines
join/split.

TheOneKEA May 10th 05 07:01 AM

The Birmingham Direct line

asdf wrote:

Incidentally, does the line still have the semaphore signals it had
15 years ago?

Yup. Greenford East Signal Box is still present and still has
semaphores, fully plated with code GE. Some rumours have gone around
that when the site is finally resignalled with colour lights, it will
be transferred to Slough New IECC.