London Banter

-   -   is it called a running board? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3045-called-running-board.html)

Jim May 20th 05 02:50 PM

is it called a running board?

Hi. I have a strange question.

What is the boarding platform thingy on a routemaster bus called?

I am writing a childrens story and need to know :)

PS. I love routemasters. They should stay in service forever as far as I'm
concerned. (Practicality not considered! :P)

Brimstone May 20th 05 03:02 PM

is it called a running board?

Jim wrote:
Hi. I have a strange question.

What is the boarding platform thingy on a routemaster bus called?

The platform

I am writing a childrens story and need to know :)

Hope it goes well, best of luck.

Chris Tolley May 20th 05 06:42 PM

is it called a running board?

On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:50:18 GMT, Jim wrote:

Hi. I have a strange question.

What is the boarding platform thingy on a routemaster bus called?

The Platform. hence the sign, "passengers must not ride upon the
platform".

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767296.html
(4TC unit 8001 on the Weymouth Tramway on 31 Dec 1989)

Alek May 21st 05 12:25 PM

is it called a running board?

The term "Running Board" usually refers to the Board which is supposed to be
in the Drivers or Conductors posession detailing the ACTUAL running
timetable for that Bus.
Anytime one see`s small groups of BusStaff gathered around a small piece of
paper with quizzical expressions on their faces it will either be a wage
packet or a running board.....!!

[email protected] May 21st 05 03:39 PM

is it called a running board?

I thought this was the "running card"? Originally paper pasted onto a
c.A5 bakerlite brown rectangle , later replaced by laminated clear
plastic. The running board ran along the sill of cars (the last UK Ford
so-fited being the Pilot).

Paul May 22nd 05 07:25 AM

is it called a running board?

On 21 May 2005 08:39:30 -0700, wrote:

I thought this was the "running card"? Originally paper pasted onto a
c.A5 bakerlite brown rectangle , later replaced by laminated clear
plastic. The running board ran along the sill of cars (the last UK Ford
so-fited being the Pilot).

I've always known them as time cards when I was a driver. That was in
the days when the card stayed on the bus all day and you only found
out what journeys you were doing when you took over (unless you
remembered from the last time you did that duty). In later days the
system changed (across London I think in London Buses days) so that
the crew or d/op carried a card with all of the journeys for that duty
- hence a rename to duty card. Made the service more flexible as you
could take any suitable bus that turned up and still readily have the
details of what you were scheduled to do (previously we often had the
daft situation of having an empty bus with no crew and a crew with no
bus).

Peter Wright June 3rd 05 12:32 AM

is it called a running board?

wrote in news:1116689970.635729.200510
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I thought this was the "running card"? Originally paper pasted onto a
c.A5 bakerlite brown rectangle , later replaced by laminated clear
plastic. The running board ran along the sill of cars (the last UK Ford
so-fited being the Pilot).

I hated it when they started laminating the running card, because they were
then too thin to wedge behind the cab light in a RM, and they wouldn't stay
put in the 'tray' if you had the side window open. [What time do you have
Driver? No idea - I lost the running card coming over Vauxhall Bridge.]

Also, on a route operated by two garages, it was customary to make notes on
the card about buses from the 'other' garage. AL's 49 cards were covered in
useful information about (scheduled) short journeys operated by AK - who
would always venture to be trailing you (empty) by a couple of stops.

The laminated ones were also too soggy to use to nudge the radiator filler
cap on an RT.

Stop me....

Alek June 3rd 05 12:37 AM

is it called a running board?

NO NO !!! ...keep going.......What happened AFTER U nudged the Rad
Cap....????

Peter Wright June 3rd 05 01:24 AM

is it called a running board?

"Alek" wrote in :

NO NO !!! ...keep going.......What happened AFTER U nudged the Rad

Well, because RT's had that big knurled rad cap you could nudge it round
with a bakelite board and the cooling system (which wasn't pressurised in
the way things are today) would boil dry much faster. You had to use the
board because the RT's cab was too cramped to be able to reach the rad cap
with your hand. There was no risk of losing the cap because it was chained
inside the rad.