Old June 2nd 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default CTRL St Pancras - Exhumed Bodies

Troy Steadman wrote:

If the Midland could dig up thousands of festering corpses without too
much of a kerfuffle why would there be controversy 140 years later over
a few odd bones? Frenchmen's bones at that!

I was a gravedigger in the school holidays many years ago in Epsom. In
the chalklands bodies rot away after 50 years, the gravestone is cleared
and the plot is resold.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
In the Cemetery: Thomas Hardy

"You see those mothers squabbling there?"
Remarks the man of the cemetery.
"One says in tears, ''Tis mine lies here!'
Another, 'Nay, mine, you Pharisee!'
Another, 'How dare you move my flowers
And put your own on this grave of ours!'
But all their children were laid therein
At different times, like sprats in a tin.
"And then the main drain had to cross,
And we moved the lot some nights ago,
And packed them away in the general foss
With hundreds more. But their folks don't know,
And as well cry over a new-laid drain
As anything else, to ease your pain!"

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Andy Kirkham

Old June 3rd 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Sam Wilson
writes
In article .com,
wrote:

Ian Johnston wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:40:18 UTC, "Mizter T"
wrote:
When on Thameslink it's certainly an odd to think that you're
travelling through a burial ground.

Could have been worse ... "the old Indian burial ground" ... wooooooo

Perhaps that's why they're too scared to fit out the station...

Is it too soon to jump in with "I'd have gotten away with if it hadn't
been for you pesky kids"?

Sam

Even though it years later, the station under ground zero is still
boarded off, even though you can see the platforms from the trains.
--
Clive.
Old June 5th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote:

Were there really so many bodies found? When I asked a CTRL lecturer
last year whether any bodies had been unearthed the answer was ' yes,
a few'. I wonder which report is accurate.
--
Peter Lawrence

The waste land adjacent to the car park at Kings Cross (platform
9/10/11) was until recently used as a sealed area for removing remains.
The area was fenced off with either hoardings or tarpaulins so that
passing pedestrians and motorists could not see in. I believe this is
some form of legal requirement ? However from my office window we had a
birds eye view and could see lorry loads of spoil coming in and being
seived through. Fortunately we are far enough away to be of little use
to the original posters request of how many remains there really were.
Suffice to say the operation lasted ages and was continous 7 days a
week and was the source of many window gazings and quotes of "that
could be a skull" etc etc.

Fat Richard

Bank bodies webmaster London Transport 6 August 30th 04 11:39 AM
CTRL Paul Weaver London Transport 1 August 4th 04 03:49 PM
CTRL Breakout chris London Transport 26 February 4th 04 01:44 AM
CTRL Section 2 aerial photos John Rowland London Transport 1 November 16th 03 09:36 AM
Is the CTRL the first new railway in Britian since 1900? Michael Bell London Transport 4 October 2nd 03 06:41 PM