Old May 31st 05, 07:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default CTRL St Pancras - Exhumed Bodies

From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
Midland had ploughed up corpses to build its tracks, so the new work
unearthed further remains. In fact, no fewer than 7,000 bodies came
out of the ground just north of the station.'

Were there really so many bodies found? When I asked a CTRL lecturer
last year whether any bodies had been unearthed the answer was ' yes,
a few'. I wonder which report is accurate.
--
Peter Lawrence

Old May 31st 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
Midland had ploughed up corpses to build its tracks, so the new work
unearthed further remains. In fact, no fewer than 7,000 bodies came
out of the ground just north of the station.'

Were there really so many bodies found? When I asked a CTRL lecturer
last year whether any bodies had been unearthed the answer was ' yes,
a few'. I wonder which report is accurate.

"The graveyard posed the initial problems, the main line was to pass
over
on a girder bridge and the branch to the Metropolitan under in a tunnel.
The disturbance of the remains was expected but was, initially,
carelessly handled. The tunnelling was especially delayed by the
presence of decomposing matter, the many coffins encountered, and a
London-wide outbreak of cholera leading to the requirement to enclose
the Fleet River entirely in iron. Despite this the connection was
completed in January 1867".

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...ailway-station

I'd believe 7,000.

Old May 31st 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Troy Steadman wrote:
"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
[...]

For the Midland, yes, but was the OP not asking about the CTRL?

Robin

Old May 31st 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

R.C. Payne wrote:
Troy Steadman wrote:
"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
[...]

Can you remind us where the north London terminus of the CTRL is?

Old May 31st 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
R.C. Payne wrote:

Troy Steadman wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
[...]

The OP was talking about more bodies being exhumed during the CTRL works
recently, in addition to those originally exhumed for the construction
of the Midland.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old May 31st 05, 10:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
From Sunday Times article on the CTRL at St Pancras: ' Just as the
Midland had ploughed up corpses to build its tracks, so the new work
unearthed further remains. In fact, no fewer than 7,000 bodies came
out of the ground just north of the station.'

Were there really so many bodies found? When I asked a CTRL lecturer
last year whether any bodies had been unearthed the answer was ' yes,
a few'. I wonder which report is accurate.

The Sunday Times article is ambiguous - I think the 7000 is meant to refer
to the original construcion of the Midland Railway, but it could be read to
refer to the CTRL.

Another 19th century railway where a graveyard was disturbed was the Charing
Cross extension of the SER, where at least 7950 bodies were removed from the
College Burial Ground of the parish of St Mary's, Lambeth, and reburied in
Woking (presumably Brookwood) cemetery.

Peter

Old May 31st 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote:
The Sunday Times article is ambiguous - I think the 7000 is meant to refer
to the original construcion of the Midland Railway, but it could be read to
refer to the CTRL.

It must refer to building the Midland route and the Metropolitan (now
Thameslink) connection. If 7,000 bodies had been exhumed during the
CTRL work then we'd have heard about it beforehand. The Guardian G2
article on Friday (27/05/05) has no such mention of this.

It sounds like the CTRL lecturer the OP spoke to is correct - a 'few'
bodies were exhumed. 7,000 is not a 'few'!

When on Thameslink it's certainly an odd to think that you're
travelling through a burial ground.

Old May 31st 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 31 May 2005 11:40:18 UTC, "Mizter T"
wrote:

When on Thameslink it's certainly an odd to think that you're
travelling through a burial ground.

Could have been worse ... "the old Indian burial ground" ... wooooooo

Ian

Old May 31st 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
When on Thameslink it's certainly an odd to think that you're
travelling through a burial ground.

Could have been worse ... "the old Indian burial ground" ... wooooooo

Ian

Perhaps that's why they're too scared to fit out the station...

Bank bodies webmaster London Transport 6 August 30th 04 11:39 AM
CTRL Paul Weaver London Transport 1 August 4th 04 03:49 PM
CTRL Breakout chris London Transport 26 February 4th 04 01:44 AM
CTRL Section 2 aerial photos John Rowland London Transport 1 November 16th 03 09:36 AM
Is the CTRL the first new railway in Britian since 1900? Michael Bell London Transport 4 October 2nd 03 06:41 PM