Old June 18th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default London to Brighton bike ride next week (blatant plug for me!)

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Are you going to withdraw that allegation?

No, I don't think I will, thanks.

A man who throws around unfounded remarks is a man with no honour :-(
Respect level: Zilch.

Tell you what, John - you explain the calculations that I apparently
misunderstood, and I'll consider withdrawing the comment. How's that?

Until you can or will do that...

Adrian - I think he has already withdrawn the calculation that got it to
5.5K, and we are now working on a revised calculation of about 3.3K. But
apart from that number issue, the main gist of what he wrote is true - and
you _still_ haven't worked out your mistake.

Here's another _huge_ hint : Who's the fastest person to have pedalled from
Lands End to John O'Groats?

BTW you still haven't worked mine out either...

cheers,
clive

Old June 18th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Clive George ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Adrian - I think he has already withdrawn the calculation that got it
to 5.5K, and we are now working on a revised calculation of about
3.3K.

Yes, and I've already called him on the mis-assumption that he made to get
there - and, IIRC, John also denied £3k.

Here's another _huge_ hint : Who's the fastest person to have pedalled
from Lands End to John O'Groats?

D'you know something? I care marginally less than I have a clue on that
one.
Old June 18th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Clive George ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Adrian - I think he has already withdrawn the calculation that got it
to 5.5K, and we are now working on a revised calculation of about
3.3K.

Yes, and I've already called him on the mis-assumption that he made to get
there - and, IIRC, John also denied £3k.

Yes, he did deny spending 3K on a bike. But that was not a lie.

Here's another _huge_ hint : Who's the fastest person to have pedalled
from Lands End to John O'Groats?

D'you know something? I care marginally less than I have a clue on that
one.

Well, in that case it's probably about time you accepted that John wasn't
lying.

cheers,
clive

Old June 18th 05, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Clive George ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Adrian - I think he has already withdrawn the calculation that got
it to 5.5K, and we are now working on a revised calculation of about
3.3K.

Yes, and I've already called him on the mis-assumption that he made
to get there - and, IIRC, John also denied £3k.

Yes, he did deny spending 3K on a bike.

Right. So he apparently paid the tax applicable to a £3k purchase, but
didn't spend £3k. Whatever.

But that was not a lie.

Whatever.
At best, it was childish semantic nitpicking - "I didn't spend £3,000, I
spent £3,146.72. So ner to you"
Old June 18th 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Clive George wrote:

Here's another _huge_ hint : Who's the fastest person to have pedalled from
Lands End to John O'Groats?

Oh Clive, that's a bit of a cheater ;-)

Better watch it though, or Adrian will be throwing a tantrum, laying on
his back waving his legs in the air.

John B

Old June 18th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Better watch it though, or Adrian will be throwing a tantrum, laying
on his back waving his legs in the air.

It just goes to show how much is expressed through non-verbal cues, and so
lost through a text-only medium...
Old June 18th 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Adrian wrote:

Clive George ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Adrian - I think he has already withdrawn the calculation that got it
to 5.5K, and we are now working on a revised calculation of about
3.3K.

Yes, and I've already called him on the mis-assumption that he made to get
there

Eh?
Yes, it was an assumption - taken from mid-table on the DVLA site - IMO
not unreasonable.
But if you know it is incorrect then what *is* the average VED paid?

Or are you again making staements without any back up?

John B
Old June 18th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Yes, and I've already called him on the mis-assumption that he made
to get there

Eh?
Yes, it was an assumption - taken from mid-table on the DVLA site -
IMO not unreasonable.
But if you know it is incorrect then what *is* the average VED paid?

Or are you again making staements without any back up?

You've already asked, I've already answered.

Your original statement said "the majority" - and I would lay odds that
"the majority" pay the full-fat £165.
Old June 18th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Adrian wrote:

JohnB ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

Yes, and I've already called him on the mis-assumption that he made
to get there

Eh?
Yes, it was an assumption - taken from mid-table on the DVLA site -
IMO not unreasonable.
But if you know it is incorrect then what *is* the average VED paid?

.... I would lay odds that
"the majority" pay the full-fat £165.

But you don't know. Thought not.

John B
Old June 18th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Clive George ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Adrian - I think he has already withdrawn the calculation that got
it to 5.5K, and we are now working on a revised calculation of about
3.3K.

Yes, and I've already called him on the mis-assumption that he made
to get there - and, IIRC, John also denied £3k.

Yes, he did deny spending 3K on a bike.

Right. So he apparently paid the tax applicable to a £3k purchase, but
didn't spend £3k. Whatever.

Nope. You're on entirely the wrong track.

But that was not a lie.

Whatever.
At best, it was childish semantic nitpicking - "I didn't spend £3,000, I
spent £3,146.72. So ner to you"

Well, there may be a certain amount of nitpickery going on, but it's not in
the area you think it is, and it is funny watching you get all het up about
it :-)

cheers,
clive