Old June 18th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New conductor rail

That would explain a tube stock fire I once read about in MR blamed on
arcing at a 'negative jumper' receptacle I think. (1970s/80s?
Northern/Picc? 38/59 stock?)

Old June 18th 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
That would explain a tube stock fire I once read about in MR blamed on
arcing at a 'negative jumper' receptacle I think. (1970s/80s?
Northern/Picc? 38/59 stock?)

If you are referring to the fire between Wood Green and Bounds Green in 1982
it was caused by a series of unwanted and poor connections. The train was a
1973 stock.

Here's an extract from the official report.

Quote:-
At about 16.17 a train entering service from the Cockfosters Depot had
picked up under its positive shoe gear two rail chairs which must have been
left beside the line. These caused a positive fault to earth which was
indicated as such on fault indication equipment, but some 13 to 14 minutes
later and before this short circuit had been cleared another train having an
incipient negative shoe fault on its rear car which had until then remained
undetected, entered the same traction section and a serious arc occurred
between its shoe conductor which was then held at about 600 volts above
earth, and an axle casing of its trailing bogie. As the conductor was
consumed, the arc swept across the under-floor of the car in which two holes
were burnt and then on to the bogie headstock which was melted through."
End quote.

Nothing to do with connections between cars.