London Banter

-   -   Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3161-chiltern-lines-tesco-project-tunnel.html)

Colin June 30th 05 08:52 PM

Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses

Just reported on the news channels. 20m of the tunnel being built above the
line at Gerrards Cross has collapsed moments after two trains passed each
other within the tunnel.

Pictures show the collapse is huge. The line will undoubtedly be blocked for
over a week at least.

Looks like it was extremely lucky that no-one was killed.

TheOneKEA June 30th 05 09:20 PM

Colin wrote:
Just reported on the news channels. 20m of the tunnel being built
above the line at Gerrards Cross has collapsed moments after two
trains passed each other within the tunnel.

Pictures show the collapse is huge. The line will undoubtedly be
blocked for over a week at least.

Looks like it was extremely lucky that no-one was killed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ts/4639671.stm
refers.

Nexusalpha reckons that Chiltern services are completely suspended
between West Ruislip and Princes Risborough, with some services
diverted via the Met and others coachituted from Ruislip to Risborough.

Brimstone June 30th 05 09:41 PM

Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Colin wrote:
Just reported on the news channels. 20m of the tunnel being built
above the line at Gerrards Cross has collapsed moments after two
trains passed each other within the tunnel.

Pictures show the collapse is huge. The line will undoubtedly be
blocked for over a week at least.

Looks like it was extremely lucky that no-one was killed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ts/4639671.stm
refers.

Nexusalpha reckons that Chiltern services are completely suspended
between West Ruislip and Princes Risborough, with some services
diverted via the Met and others coachituted from Ruislip to Risborough.

"coachituted"? An interesting term. ;)

This'll be causing some lost sleep for the engineers responsible and a field
day for the H&S industry.

TheOneKEA June 30th 05 09:45 PM

Brimstone wrote:

"coachituted"? An interesting term. ;)

Well, seeing as how Chiltern supposedly uses real coaches instead of
buses when needed, I guess the term fits.

This'll be causing some lost sleep for the engineers responsible and a field
day for the H&S industry.

The uk.r thread brought in the duff concrete controversy - apparently
the concrete itself could be at fault.

thoss July 1st 05 08:20 AM

Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses

In article , Colin
writes
Just reported on the news channels. 20m of the tunnel being built above the
line at Gerrards Cross has collapsed moments after two trains passed each
other within the tunnel.

Pictures show the collapse is huge. The line will undoubtedly be blocked for
over a week at least.

BBC radio news said services would be suspended for up to two days. I
thought that sounded rather overoptimistic when I heard it.
--
Thoss

Mizter T July 1st 05 11:48 AM

Colin wrote:
Just reported on the news channels. 20m of the tunnel being built above the
line at Gerrards Cross has collapsed moments after two trains passed each
other within the tunnel.

Pictures show the collapse is huge. The line will undoubtedly be blocked for
over a week at least.

Looks like it was extremely lucky that no-one was killed.

This website, by a uk.railway contributor, has some great photos of the
tunnel collapse:

http://freespace.virgin.net/guy.gorton/collapse.html

Also see this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....4262cfd057e042

Paul Terry July 1st 05 02:19 PM

Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses

In message , thoss
writes

BBC radio news said services would be suspended for up to two days. I
thought that sounded rather overoptimistic when I heard it.

The Times reports the police as saying that further collapses are highly
likely:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...676947,00.html

--
Paul Terry

Peter Goodland July 1st 05 02:44 PM

Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses

BBC radio news said services would be suspended for up to two days. I
thought that sounded rather overoptimistic when I heard it.

The Times reports the police as saying that further collapses are highly
likely:

Is that the same Police who said the line would be open in 2 days?

--
Peter

Paul Terry July 1st 05 03:11 PM

Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses

In message , Peter
Goodland writes

BBC radio news said services would be suspended for up to two days. I
thought that sounded rather overoptimistic when I heard it.

The Times reports the police as saying that further collapses are highly
likely:

Is that the same Police who said the line would be open in 2 days?

I'd believe anything of modern reportage, but I thought it was actually
BBC radio that suggested 2 days.

Anyway, Network Rail's head of operations has now said it will take at
least a week - which sounds much more likely.

--
Paul Terry

Mrs Redboots July 1st 05 03:14 PM

Chiltern Lines - TESCO Project Tunnel Collapses

Paul Terry wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 1 Jul 2005:

In message , thoss
writes

BBC radio news said services would be suspended for up to two days. I
thought that sounded rather overoptimistic when I heard it.

The Times reports the police as saying that further collapses are highly
likely:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...676947,00.html

I see that Denham Golf Club station, whose use has been occasionally
discussed by users of this newsgroup, finally came into its own!

Awful thing to happen, though - so very glad no train was involved.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/