London Banter

-   -   Olympic Announcement 'Event' (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3168-olympic-announcement-event.html)

Joe July 4th 05 02:34 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

A few weeks ago, I got an eMail from the London 2012 bid team saying
that a free event would be taking place on the 6th Jly to mark the
announcemnt of who would be holding the games. It said to look on the
Ldn 2012 site, though I cant seem to find anything.
Anyone know the times & location?

Paul Terry July 4th 05 03:01 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message .com, Joe
writes

http://www.london2012.com/en/news/pr...6-15-08-00.htm

--
Paul Terry

Skokkie July 4th 05 04:50 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message .com, Joe
writes

A few weeks ago, I got an eMail from the London 2012 bid team saying
that a free event would be taking place on the 6th Jly to mark the
announcemnt of who would be holding the games. It said to look on the
Ldn 2012 site, though I cant seem to find anything.
Anyone know the times & location?

Cancelled due to a lack of interest

congokid July 4th 05 07:05 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message , Paul Terry
writes
In message .com, Joe
writes

A few weeks ago, I got an eMail from the London 2012 bid team saying
that a free event would be taking place on the 6th Jly to mark the
announcemnt of who would be holding the games. It said to look on the
Ldn 2012 site, though I cant seem to find anything.
Anyone know the times & location?

http://www.london2012.com/en/news/pr.../june/2005-06-
15-08-00.htm

I was in Trafalgar Square this afternoon. They're building a stage or
something for the event.

It'll be a bit of a damp squib should the decision go to Paris.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

Paul Terry July 4th 05 07:31 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message , congokid
writes

I was in Trafalgar Square this afternoon. They're building a stage or
something for the event.

It'll be a bit of a damp squib should the decision go to Paris.

I very much hope that it will - they are much better able to fund the
likely multi-billion pound debt (I see that Toronto are still paying off
the interest nearly 30 years later, while Greece is saddled with a chain
of unused facilities that nobody wants and is trying to justify breaking
EU monetary rules by claiming that Athens was virtually bankrupted by
the last Olympics).

--
Paul Terry

David Bennetts July 5th 05 03:20 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , congokid
writes

I was in Trafalgar Square this afternoon. They're building a stage or
something for the event.

It'll be a bit of a damp squib should the decision go to Paris.

I very much hope that it will - they are much better able to fund the
likely multi-billion pound debt (I see that Toronto are still paying off
the interest nearly 30 years later, while Greece is saddled with a chain
of unused facilities that nobody wants and is trying to justify breaking
EU monetary rules by claiming that Athens was virtually bankrupted by the
last Olympics).

--
Paul Terry

I think you mean Montreal - '76 games.
I think London will have some problems in coping, particularly with
transport.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

[email protected] July 5th 05 07:52 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

David Bennetts wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , congokid
writes

[...]

I notice that Ken Livingstone, who is so anti air travel, is in
Singapore at the moment. No chance that he could have done his bit by
video link then.

Kevin

Mizter T July 5th 05 08:23 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

David Bennetts wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , congokid
writes

[...]

I'm all in favour of the Olympics coming to London, and I very much
hope that the London bid does win - but we'll know what is to be on
wednesday.

Regarding the announcement from Singapore - it is estimated that the
announcement will be around 12.50pm UK time, and as the press release
says, there's an event at Trafalgar Square where large television
screens will show the result, as well as a similar event in Meridian
Square in Stratford, also with a large screen.

BBC London radio will be broadcasting live from Singapore, Stratford
and Trafalgar Square (on 94.9 FM).

I don't have an infinite amount of time to debate the pros & cons of
hosting the Olympics (fortunately!), but I will make three quick
points...

(1) Transport - Stratford will be served by a dedicated "Olympic
Javelin" train from St. Pancras, which will take 7 minutes to reach
Stratford via the CTRL tunnels. The transport package, which was
originally seen by the IOC as a weakness, is now increasingly said to
be seen as a strength.

See: http://www.london2012.com/en/bid/bes...mes+transport/

(2) The Montreal/Athens debt legacies - New IOC rules now demand that
cities bidding for the games have a far more detailed budget and
financial plans in place in an attempt to avoid previous problems of
overspending.

(3) The facilities and their legacy - London (and much of the UK) has
pretty poor sporting facilities (compared to equivalent countries) for
top tier athletes. There are detailed plans for what will happen to all
the facilities after the Games are over, and I'm certain that they will
not suffer from a lack of usage as has occurred on other cities. The
legacy of the sporting facilities is a real plus point (IMHO of
course!) of hosting the games.

See: http://www.london2012.com/en/bid/reg...meforsport.htm

Adrian July 5th 05 09:02 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

I notice that Ken Livingstone, who is so anti air travel, is in
Singapore at the moment. No chance that he could have done his bit by
video link then.

Ah, but that's different, because he's "one of them" not "one of us". He's
Important, so the same rules don't apply.

Stuart July 5th 05 09:13 AM

wrote:

I notice that Ken Livingstone, who is so anti air travel, is in
Singapore at the moment. No chance that he could have done his bit by
video link then.

What a video screen on wheels moving robotically around the Raffles
conference centre talking to people?

Surely he's only anti cheap or un-necessary air travel

[email protected] July 5th 05 09:15 AM

Adrian wrote:
) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

I notice that Ken Livingstone, who is so anti air travel, is in
Singapore at the moment. No chance that he could have done his bit by
video link then.

Ah, but that's different, because he's "one of them" not "one of us". He's
Important, so the same rules don't apply.

Yes amazing, our journies aren't important but give a politician a
chance to go on a jolly and they can never say "well actually this
journey is a waste of resources and contributes unnecesarrily to co2
immisssions".
This from the guy who doesn't flush his toilet after a ****. I'd hate
to have the job of cleaning his wc pan.

Kevin

Tristán White July 5th 05 09:52 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:50:19 +0200, "Skokkie"
wrote:

Cancelled due to a lack of interest

Utter ******** mate. It's all going ahead. There's hardly anyone
against this bid, we're all up for it, apart from a few smelly
salmon-smokers in E15.

James Farrar July 5th 05 09:55 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:31:43 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , congokid
writes

I was in Trafalgar Square this afternoon. They're building a stage or
something for the event.

It'll be a bit of a damp squib should the decision go to Paris.

I very much hope that it will - they are much better able to fund the
likely multi-billion pound debt (I see that Toronto are still paying off
the interest nearly 30 years later,

Do you mean Montreal? That was the last Games to lose money. A lot of
things have changed since then.

while Greece is saddled with a chain of unused facilities that nobody
wants

Hence the "no white elephants" policy. There's a reason why the bid
team has been banging on about the legacy aspect.

We'll know soon enough...

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon

Nick Leverton July 5th 05 10:28 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

wrote:

Cancelled due to a lack of interest

Utter ******** mate. It's all going ahead. There's hardly anyone
against this bid, we're all up for it, apart from a few smelly
salmon-smokers in E15.

What *did* you do at Glastonbury, Tris ??

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself

Paul Terry July 5th 05 11:52 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message , James Farrar
writes

Do you mean Montreal?

Yes I did, sorry!

That was the last Games to lose money.

Eh? Even Sydney ended up with "a debt that will take a decade to pay off
and unused facilities that require millions of dollars in public
subsidies every year".

The Athens Olympics were initially estimated to cost $1.3 billion. When
the detailed planning was finished, the cost to $5.3 billion. After the
games were over, Greece found it had actually spent some $14.2 billion
and had seriously damaged its economy in the process.

while Greece is saddled with a chain of unused facilities that nobody
wants

Hence the "no white elephants" policy.

That's what they said about the dome :(

We'll know soon enough...

Yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
--
Paul Terry

Ian Jelf July 5th 05 02:44 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message , David Bennetts
writes
I think London will have some problems in coping, particularly with
transport.

I genuinely don't believe that to be the case. (Although I suspect
that *any* of the cities up for it *could* stage the games.)

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

James Farrar July 5th 05 10:48 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:52:43 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , James Farrar
writes

Hence the "no white elephants" policy.

That's what they said about the dome :(

Irrelevant comparison. The Dome had two possible purposes, between
which the government compromised, leading to something pointless. The
purpose of sporting facilities is self-defined.

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon

Paul Terry July 6th 05 11:52 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message , James Farrar
writes

The Dome had two possible purposes, between which the government
compromised, leading to something pointless. The purpose of sporting
facilities is self-defined.

As in "Pickett's Lock" ?

Anyway, I see London have won the bid - I'm sure it'll all be fun in
2012, but I am sure the cost (especially to Londoners) will be enormous
and, unlike Pickett's Lock, we won't have the option of pulling-out when
it all becomes too expensive.

--
Paul Terry

Skokkie July 6th 05 07:30 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

"Stuart" wrote in message
. uk...
wrote:

I notice that Ken Livingstone, who is so anti air travel, is in
Singapore at the moment. No chance that he could have done his bit by
video link then.

What a video screen on wheels moving robotically around the Raffles
conference centre talking to people?

Surely he's only anti cheap or un-necessary air travel

Yes, encouraging air travel to the UK for the Olympics

Paul Terry July 6th 05 07:48 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message , James Farrar
writes

The Dome had two possible purposes, between which the government
compromised, leading to something pointless. The purpose of sporting
facilities is self-defined.

The purpose of sporting facilities is defined primarily in terms of
value for money, and that includes demand and longevity. The 28 days of
the Olympics is a mere (if brilliant) flash in the pan.

I certainly agree that the London bid has given more thought to long
term use than those Olympics that have resulted in concrete
monstrosities that saw little or no use after the games ended.

However, is the public demand to see cyclists going round in circles so
overwhelming that we really need a permanent velodrome in the Lea Valley
that will accommodate thousands of spectators? Will venues such as Horse
Guard's Parade or Hyde Park really be re-dedicated to improving the
sporting prowess of our young? If the Dome is so good for indoor sport,
why is it not already being used for that purpose? Whatever happened to
our "National Sports Centre" at Crystal Palace?

As a former teacher (one who taught sport in earlier days) I would
rather see the money being used to restore all of the swimming pools,
ice rinks and school sports facilities that have been lost or sold off
in London over the last 30 years, than being expended on a publicity
stunt that will be as short-lived as a glorious firework display.

--
Paul Terry

Neil Williams July 6th 05 10:52 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:48:50 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

I certainly agree that the London bid has given more thought to long
term use than those Olympics that have resulted in concrete
monstrosities that saw little or no use after the games ended.

Possibly from the Manchester example. The City of Manchester stadium,
for one, is now used for football and live music, while the Manchester
Aquatics Centre (which I tended to "lovingly" know as Oxford Road
Baths) still seems very much in use, though admittedly it is looking a
bit tatty now with a number of boarded windows.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

James Farrar July 7th 05 08:55 AM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:52:51 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , James Farrar
writes

The Dome had two possible purposes, between which the government
compromised, leading to something pointless. The purpose of sporting
facilities is self-defined.

As in "Pickett's Lock" ?

Pickett's Lock fell victim to the wrangling over athletics at
Wembley...

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon

Mrs Redboots July 7th 05 12:00 PM

Paul Terry wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 6 Jul 2005:

If the Dome is so good for indoor sport, why is it not already being
used for that purpose?

It's going to be; they are hoping for a permanent ice rink there, and to
host the 2008 World Championships.

Whatever happened to our "National Sports Centre" at Crystal Palace?

It's still there, but badly in need of refurbishment/replacement.

As a former teacher (one who taught sport in earlier days) I would
rather see the money being used to restore all of the swimming pools,
ice rinks and school sports facilities that have been lost or sold off in
London over the last 30 years, than being expended on a publicity stunt
that will be as short-lived as a glorious firework display.

Only one ice rink, as far as I know - and the sooner they bring that
back, the better.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Paul Terry July 7th 05 01:36 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes

Only one ice rink, as far as I know - and the sooner they bring that
back, the better.

Not much chance of Richmond being brought back, I would have thought -
I've lived here most of my life and seen endless plans to have the rink
rebuilt, but none have come to anything.

But I'm sure other rinks have closed. Weren't there rinks at Haringey,
Alexandra Palace, and Wembley - and (some time ago) Golder's Green? And
I'm sure there was one somewhere in SE London where I went as a
schoolboy ... Lewisham or Catford, perhaps - I don't thinkl we went as
far as Streatham.
--
Paul Terry

Mrs Redboots July 7th 05 04:01 PM

Olympic Announcement 'Event'

Paul Terry wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 7 Jul 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes

Only one ice rink, as far as I know - and the sooner they bring that
back, the better.

Not much chance of Richmond being brought back, I would have
thought - I've lived here most of my life and seen endless plans to have
the rink rebuilt, but none have come to anything.

Doesn't stop people still campaigning!

But I'm sure other rinks have closed. Weren't there rinks at Haringey,
Alexandra Palace, and Wembley - and (some time ago) Golder's Green?
And I'm sure there was one somewhere in SE London where I went as a
schoolboy ... Lewisham or Catford, perhaps - I don't thinkl we went as
far as Streatham.

There still is a rink at Alexandra Palace - I was skating there just
last night. Don't know about the other rinks, though, not heard of
them.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/