Old July 5th 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Finally!!!!

Well, at last Ken Livingstone and his minions have said that the
congestion charge isn't about reducing congestion at all, it's about
raising money.

So they introduce the congestion charge, which does exactly what it was
alleged to be supposed to do, and reduces the amount of private cars
using Central London on weekdays.... then, because it doesn't raise
enough money, they increase the charge by 60%. I can see it coming that
even fewer people will use private cars in the area.... so it *still*
won't raise enough money.....

Something wrong with this picture, no?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old July 5th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes

Well, at last Ken Livingstone and his minions have said that the
congestion charge isn't about reducing congestion at all, it's about
raising money.

So they introduce the congestion charge, which does exactly what it was
alleged to be supposed to do, and reduces the amount of private cars
using Central London on weekdays.... then, because it doesn't raise
enough money, they increase the charge by 60%. I can see it coming that
even fewer people will use private cars in the area.... so it *still*
won't raise enough money.....

Something wrong with this picture, no?

Well you haven't mentioned the imminent doubling of the size of the
Congestion Zone, so raising even more money is highly likely - although
there's still a chance to say no if you're quick:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/cc-ex/leaflet.shtml

--
Paul Terry
Old July 5th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Mrs Redboots wrote:

Well, at last Ken Livingstone and his minions have said that the
congestion charge isn't about reducing congestion at all, it's about
raising money.

So they introduce the congestion charge, which does exactly what it was
alleged to be supposed to do, and reduces the amount of private cars
using Central London on weekdays.... then, because it doesn't raise
enough money, they increase the charge by 60%. I can see it coming that
even fewer people will use private cars in the area.... so it *still*
won't raise enough money.....

Something wrong with this picture, no?

Well, the logical conclusion is that all cars will be priced out of the
whole of London.

So, no.

tom

--
[Philosophy] is kind of like being driven behind the sofa by Dr Who - scary, but still entertaining. -- Itchyfidget
Old July 6th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
[...]

The current zone takes in the West End and The City. Mostly for business and
leisure activities.

The new zone takes in a huge swathe of residential areas, populated by
extremely rich people who can afford to pay the CC,
but they all get the CC discount. They are then free to go into the West End
and The City.
I can see it increasing traffic in the original zone and not doing much good
for revenues.
It'll put people off coming into the zone just like it has done in the
original zone.
Businesses are rightly worried about the prospects of the enlarged zone.

I myself cross London on a regular basis and either travel just before or
after the congestion charge starts/finishes
or travel round the zone and sit in traffic for the extra half hour or so
(probably paying an additonal fiver in fuel.)
But sometimes travelling round the zone presents no problem at all.

If I travel on business then I pay up and the company pays me back. That
cost of course ends up being paid somewhere down the line
by our poor customer. So all the CC is doing is distributing money in
different ways. Either me paying a fiver more petrol to circumnavigate it
or my customers paying more for their service as my companies costs have
increased.

Old July 6th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, londoncityslicker wrote:

[...]

That is definitely a problem. I'm not sure what the solution is; perhaps
to relate the level of the charge to the value of the car!

They are then free to go into the West End and The City.

Really? I thought they were planning more of a second zone than a simple
extension, so you'd still pay to cross from Chelsea into central London.

It'll put people off coming into the zone just like it has done in the
original zone.

I think there was a study done on the original zone that showed that this
wasn't the case. Certainly, studies done on things like pedestrianisation
in other cities, where similar fears about loss of car-based custom were
raised, have shown that reducing car density drives up trade.

I myself cross London on a regular basis and either travel just before
or after the congestion charge starts/finishes or travel round the zone
and sit in traffic for the extra half hour or so (probably paying an
additonal fiver in fuel.) But sometimes travelling round the zone
presents no problem at all.

If I travel on business then I pay up and the company pays me back. That
cost of course ends up being paid somewhere down the line by our poor
customer. So all the CC is doing is distributing money in different
ways. Either me paying a fiver more petrol to circumnavigate it or my
customers paying more for their service as my companies costs have
increased.

Or you take a train.

tom

--
Like Kurosawa i make mad films; okay, i don't make films, but if i did they'd have a samurai.