Old July 6th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05....Transport in Aylesbury

"General Von Clinkerhoffen" wrote in
message ...
Arriva buses are crap, get off train, walk to bus station, look for
next bus, there are 5 that travel along my route, next one is 30
mins, give up and walk, to cap it all those crooks decided to reduce
the child discount from 50% to 25%, didn't tell anyone and left
children waiting at bus stops, I wouldn't urinate on a director of
Arriva if they were being consumed by fire.

I am not going to pretend that Arriva are perfect, but i wouldn't go
as far as to say that they are crap. Without knowing where in
Aylesbury you are, I can't comment on how frequent the buses you can
catch are.... i live on route 9 though, so have a generally good
service all day and late into the evening, even if the buses seem to
be rather unreliable of late.

On the child rates, didn't they put them back to a more reasonable
level 40%, after the outrage in the local paper.... although that was
at least a year ago now....

Matt Wheeler wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message

General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:

I pay £1648 annual season ticket from Aylesbury to Amersham, from
Stoke Mandeville it £300 cheaper, I call that expensive for a 15
mile
journey.

Assuming a 5 day week and 48 weeks per year that's less than 23
pence per
mile.

Not forgetting that the large difference in price between Aylesbury
and Stoke Mandeville is because the latter has a larger car park
and they want to encourage commuters to travel from there
instead... although obviously for commuters without cars it can be
considered a little unfair. That being said, a month or longer
season from Aylesbury gives you free travel on Arriva buses within
Aylesbury.

Old July 6th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Matt Wheeler" wrote in message

I am not going to pretend that Arriva are perfect, but i wouldn't go
as far as to say that they are crap. Without knowing where in
Aylesbury you are, I can't comment on how frequent the buses you can
catch are.... i live on route 9 though, so have a generally good
service all day and late into the evening, even if the buses seem to
be rather unreliable of late.

Ditto! Although I normally walk in to town (or to Stoke Mandeville, as it
only takes about 10 mins longer than Aylesbury station).

Old July 6th 05, 05:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

No they didn't put them back, or if they did their PR is as awful as
their services and they didn't tell anyone, I live along the Tring Road,
and I just don't bother to use them, it's pointless I can walk it
quicker and more reliably.

Londoners get a fantastic service, from the Bus, the tube, river bus,DLR
etc etc, young offenders in the capital will be getting Free bus
travel,while out in the sticks soon we will have all the people but none
of the services needed to cope.

Old July 6th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Gerrards Cross update 5/7/05

Adrian Auer-Hudson wrote:
Actually Tony, I am from Aylesbury.

I geussed that you might be from somewhere in that area; you're
probably the only person in America who has ever even heard of Verney
Junction for a start!

There's actually a lot of rail development going on over there at the
moment, at least in the New York/New Jersey area where I've been.

Re-equipment, modernisation and extension of the Newark City Subway,
with another extension in progress.

Opening, in four stages so far, with another under construction, of the
Hudson Bergen Light Rail system.

Opening of the NJ Transit 'River Line'

Opening of the Airtrain systems at JFK and EWR airports.

Refurbishment of the tunnel under the Hudson and construction of the
temporary station at WTC for PATH, plus re-opening of the IRT line to
South Ferry. New South Ferry station to be constructed soon.

Massive refurbishment and improvment works on the New York Subway, with
the construction of the 2nd Avenue Subway now a real possibility.

All of these are 'metro' type systems, rather than main line railways,
but there's a lot going on.

Old July 6th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"General Von Clinkerhoffen" wrote in message
23p/mile I can do Aylesbury to Amersham cheaper in my car,

Is that including all the costs or merely the direct ones?

Old July 6th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

I already own the car, I already tax it, I already fill it with petrol
(petrol is cheaper in amersham as well), I already MOT and service it,
there really aren't many other factors to take in.

Old July 6th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

General Von Clinkerhoffen wrote:
I already own the car, I already tax it, I already fill it with petrol
(petrol is cheaper in amersham as well), I already MOT and service it,
there really aren't many other factors to take in.

So you don't take into accout all the costs of driving to the station?

Old July 6th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Martin Edwards" wrote
The original reason was that politicians had nothing to do with it,
except to pass private Acts of Parliament to facilitate the haphazard
planning of dozens of private operators. The Settle-Carlisle route, now
a tourist attraction, was unnescessary even at the time, but the owner
of the comapny concerned just had to have a route to Scotland.

The L&NWR were obstructive in allowing the Midland to work its Scottish
traffic via Clapham, Ingleton, Tebay and Shap, so the Midland obtained an
Act permitting it to build the Settle and Carlisle as an indepenedent route.
The L&NWR suddenly became reasonable, and offered attractive conditions for
the Midland to work its traffic via Ingleton, provided that the S&C was
dropped. The Midland presented an Abandonment Bill to Parliament, but it
didn't pass, and, pressed by the North British and the Lancashire &
Yorkshire, the Midland had to build the S&C - though at least they built it
well.

Peter

Old July 6th 05, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:18:10 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

So you don't take into accout all the costs of driving to the station?

If he has made a lifestyle choice to own a car, why should he? He'd
have the car anyway.

If I made my decision to run a car purely on economic grounds I
wouldn't have one. As it happens, I *want* one. That is the only
reason I happen to need. As such, given that I have one, and given my
low mileage (services are always by time not mileage), the only
marginal cost of an extra journey is the petrol and parking charge (if
any).

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain